Help! Newbie - Need Smartapp to Link CO/Fire Alarms to Strobe for Deaf Child

(Adam J Gadway) #1

Hello - I have a deaf son on the second floor of my home and have the Kidde Co/Fire Alarms on my first and basement floors tied into smart things. I also have the FotrezZ strobe/alarm in his room - my plan was to have the strobe and alarm go off in his room if either CO/smoke detector detected smoke or CO.

I have figured out how to access the smartapps developer area - but my coding experience is visual basic. Can anyone point me to code that will set the system to work as described (If any smoke or CO is detected from any smoke/CO detectors - activate the fortrezZ strobe and alarm)?

Thanks in advance.

(Adam J Gadway) #2

I should add he has an ADA compliant strobe fire alarm (not z-wave) in his room as well - but I want the early warning of the basement one setting off the fortrezz strobe.

(Ron S) #3

Take a look at Smart Alarm app. I think it lets you hook up ZCOMBO SMOKE/CO (st supported) alarms to strobe/siren. Double check as I am not sure. Sorry for all caps! PLEASE CHECK WITH THE CREATOR OF THE APP (one of the best) AND DO NOT RELY ON CLOUD BASED OR ANY SUCH SOLUTION FOR KIDS SAFETY. SET UP TRADITIONAL/CONVENTIONAL PROVEN METHODS NOT HUBS. SET UP HUBS AND SMARTAPPS FOR ADDITIONAL AND SECONDARY PEACE OF MIND.

@Adam_J_Gadway No need to code anything, what you’re trying to do is already built in to ST! I’m already doing exactly what you’re trying to do with with the First Alert Smoke/CO2 detectors and the Utilitech siren/strobe, here’s how:

In the Dashboard go to Damage and Danger, tap on the configuration gear in the upper right corner.

Go all the way down until you see Smoke and Carbon Monoxide, and tap on that.

Next, you’ll be asked to name the area to be monitored, and then tap on Next

In the next screen, tap on Alert Me and then the next screen will ask you what detector(s) to monitor. You can select as many as you want.

Select your notification preferences, as well as any cell numbers for SMS messages. Tap on Done

Now you’re back to beginning again, but this time tap on “Turn on lights for escape routes”

If the FotrezZ device is like the Utilitech device, it has “switch” capabilities, which is just like a light you can turn on/off. In the next screen, tap on Which Lights, and select your siren(s) and light(s), tap on Done. I turn on all my major lights in the house, plus the room light where the detector was tripped.

You’re back one screen again, so this time select the option to turn off the light/siren on All Clear. Tap on Done.

You’re back to the beginning again, but this time tap on Next in the upper right corner. In the next screen, tap Done. And then again in the next screen, tap Done.

That’s it! Now whenever the detector(s) go off so will any siren and light you have associated with it/them.

You should test to make sure all that works the way you expect since you have different devices than I do, but I know my set up works. My daughter recently severely overcooked a bag of popcorn in the microwave, and my sirens and lights all went off as planned.

Hopefully this helps you out.

(Adam J Gadway) #5

Ron - thank you and good advice. The ADA compliant is our main warning for him this is a secondary measure.

John - awesome answer! Thank you worked great!

Adam

(Ron S) #6

John: I seriously didn’t know siren/strobe appeared there. Will set it up myself! Thanks a lot! This is what this community is about!

No problem Adam. I try to use ST’s built in capabilities/SmartApps first before building any of my own.

No worries Ron, and I completely agree! Even after almost a year on the ST platform I continually learn new things (no pun intended) every day, especially from this community.

(Ron S) #9

@johnconstantelo Hey John, set it up as per your directions and it works beautifully. Learnt a new thing. :slight_smile: