Harmony Home update for previous gen devices now available

Perfect, this work first try and I was able to add all my Smartthing devices to Harmony. Very Cool

@chuckles Do you know other than you, who is tracking this issue in either SmartThings or LogicTec forum. To have the Harmony Smart Control remoter Button to mapping the ST device to turn on with short-press and off with long-press,
just as you say
it can not be program and assign ST devices when during the Harmony Apps, only entertainment device show up when try to program the individual buttons. and It only canned aST devices at each activity start up or end up sequence, and other is assign one button for dedicate smartThings activity.(all on/all off,I think)
It seem the problem at Logitech itself, not SmartThings, Do you know what is progress at LogicTech forum, and Any one is pushing it happen, and result & progress ?

@mitchell_lu66 - it is certainly a constraint on the Logitech side and up to Logitech to make a change if it is ever to change; SmartThings cannot fix this.

The request for this functionality has been made on multiple occasions, by multiple people. Those requests have been acknowledged by Logitech, but as a general rule they do not pre-announce new features and have not, to my knowledge, made any commitments to adopt this suggestion.

We cannot really “push” - we can only voice our opinions and explain why we would like to see this functionality (albeit repeatedly, if necessary). I would encourage you to go over to the Logitech forums and add your voice to the chorus, but don’t expect a solid commitment with an attached date as a response. Large companies move slowly and customer requests for new features and/or functionality end up somewhere in a priority list. All we can do is hope to influence how far up the list it is placed based upon the perceived market demand.

At the end of the day, understand that your comments and suggestions are being read by employees who are as constrained by the system within which they work as you feel you may be. They have limited time and resources and undoubtedly lots of competing demands coming from both customers and their own management. Remain civil and provide them with the reasons and evidence to help them make your case for you when the priorities are being assessed.

1 Like

Came here looking for how to map harmony buttons to SmartThings devices. Right now can only start with an activity, where I want to be able to turn on off lighting using a button while watching TV. Sounds like Logitech needs to add mapping buttons to home control devices.

Seems like “power on device using button” is too obvious a requirement for a universal remote.

Currently, you can only map HA devices to HA buttons, which is problematic if you have an older Harmony Hub remote that doesn’t have HA buttons. This has been pointed out to Logitech over and over, hopefully they’ll someday see that the current HA implementation is pretty awful and needs fixin’.

I do have this semi-working in my own environment but it involves some really ugly hacks. I’ve purchased the Harmony Smart Keyboard, plugged one of it’s USB receivers into an always-on PC, and can map buttons to send specific keystrokes (like ctrl-alt-1) that Windows generally otherwise ignores. I’ve then setup EventGhost to pick up those keystrokes which in turn will send a REST command to SmartThings. There aren’t a lot of key combinations you can choose and you can’t select them arbitrarily, leaving a small list of maybe ~6 commands that you can issue. So, in my situation, I have mapped the red/green/yellow/blue keys in all of my activities to send keystrokes to my computer which then are able to control scene lighting.

It’s a huge mess and I really don’t recommend it. Logitech needs to get HA keys mapped to non-HA buttons.

Yeah I have the older harmony remote, would be willing to buy just the new remote to get the buttons, but don’t want to buy the whole hub set again for $150. Seems silly that the treat home automation devices differently than entertainment, and have buttons that cannot be mapped across. I like the new smart remote, but I only need a couple home automation buttons, it looks like it has 4?

thought about doing the PC keyboard command/REST command, but what to avoid maintaining that sort of complexity, especially since my PC is asleep during some activities.

Someone should release a competing product that is a simple keyboard and remote similar to logitech, but talks directly to the smartthings hub, and include some sort of IR blaster and plugins to talk to a PCs or game consoles over network or bluetooth. This could mean one less “hub” reducing complexity, and unlike Logitech, Smartthings has an API and a lot more flexibility to get stuff working the way you want.