Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

1. You can set up whatever controls you want in SmartThings to control the fan through SmartLighting, WebCore, etc. If you install an in-wall switch make sure power to the fan bypasses it - if you wire it “normally” the switch will cut power to the light/fan and you won’t be able to control it except by turning that switch back on.
  2. It’s been stated lots of times that a Zigbee repeater in the same room is almost a requirement to get this controller working. If you’re going to put a smart switch in the wall, it might as well be a Zigbee switch instead of buying a Z-wave switch AND a Zigbee outlet as repeater (assuming the location of your switch works to get a signal to the fan). I don’t think I’ve seen this suggested before so maybe I’m missing something.
  3. Since the switch doesn’t need to control a load an “accessory / add-on” switch that has its own radio would work and is probably cheaper. (Counter to #2, there may not be any Zigbee switches that fit this description). Here’s a post about a similar situation (with different hardware at the fan) that lists a few options: Programmable z wave, in-wall remote switch - #3 by JDRoberts