Groovy IDE Depreciation preparations

I have a fairly complex system with five wall mounted tablets running Fully Kiosk Browser and Action Tiles, a v2 ST hub, Lutron Hub, Konnected sensors and a bunch of automations running on Webcore. The Groovy IDE is reporting I have 36 out of 58 devices migrated but key devices like the EcoBee thermostats, the Fully Browser Controllers on each tablet, some Honeywell ZWave switches, a Zigbee RGBW LED light controller and a bunch of virtual switches needed for automations are not migrated.

I know I have a ton of work to do but cannot get to it before the new year. This forum has been helpful in steering me towards using SharpTools to do a lot of the functions previously performed flawlessly for three years by Webcore. I have taken snapshots of the Webcore pistons so I have them but is there anything else I should be doing in preparation to make the transition easier? My approach at the moment is to work on this in January when I return to a house with a broken system and to then set about re-designing it.

Thanks,

Paul

1 Like

what device type is currently assigned to the EcoBee thermostat in IDE?

1 Like

I’m using the Ecobee Suite as the drivers for my thermostat and sensors. They have not migrated yet. I fully expect them to be converted to “Thing” drivers (if at all) since the standard Ecobee integration is Cloud to Cloud through account linking. Unless Ecobee has improved their integration, losing the suite will be a major regression in functionality.

1 Like

We still haven’t received a definitive official answer about what will happen with virtual switches, and it may depend in part on whether they were created through the IDE or through the android app wizard. If yours are critical, you might want to consider going ahead and choosing a manual solution, rather than hoping for an automatic transition.

Here are some options:

Virtual Switches After Groovy FAQ

1 Like

The Ecobee Suite smartapp will end with the end of groovy. As of now, the only option will be the C2C integration. Here is a link to discussion of ecobee after groovy.

Edit: updated to correct link

2 Likes

Don’t trust the IDE to show “placeholder” for auto-migrated devices to Edge. I’ve have several that still shown the old DTH, but ARE on Edge drivers already.

3 Likes

Thanks for helping out here. The thermostats have a device type of ‘Ecobee Thermostat’. The IDE says the device is online and the ‘Execution Location’ is ‘Cloud’.

I hope this helps.

One of the most useful devices I have, and it has worked flawlessly, is the Mail present announcement. I have an Ecolink Z-Wave sensor in the mailbox with a small magnet that is attached to the door. It is connected to the hub through a Z-Wave outlet. When the mailbox is opened, a virtual switch is set and Webcore detects this and announces on all the wall tablets with a chime and an AOL style “You’ve got Mail”. A tile on the tablets also turns orange in case we are out when the mail is delivered and if this is tapped, it resets the virtual switch ready for the next day.

This saves us walking out to the mailbox only to find we dont have mail. Important in the Pennsylvania winters.

How on earth will this get implemented? The Ecolink Z-Wave sensor is the only one I have found that has a battery life greater that one year and works in single digit weather. It is not showing ‘Placeholder’ so I guess there is no Edge driver. Furthermore there is no webcore and I have to teach this 68 year old brain to write a SharpTools script. I believe from other question responses that there is a way in SharpTools to have the tablets make a voice announcement and sound a chime.

I am overwhelmed with the task of making all these changes to keep my house safe and smooth running. I cant be the only one!

Paul

Time to blow your mind! You can sign up for Informed Delivery with USPS. It requires you to create an account with them. On days you are set to receive mail, they send an email early in the day with a snapshot for each piece of mail you will be receiving or a description if snapshot is not available.

4 Likes

Paul

There is a simple solution using routines:

1. I have a Ring Z-Wave contact sensor in my mailbox. It has good outdoor battery life and I am farther north than you are. Your Ecolink will work just as well.

2. I created a virtual switch with hidden contacts (called Virtual Alexa Switch in the Groovy days) called Mail Arrived.

3. Then I wrote a the following ST Routine:

4. Main Arrived triggers an Alexa routine that says “You have mail”. But it could also trigger your existing tablet notifications.

I am sure there is an Edge Driver for your Ecolink sensor. There is one for my Ecolink tilt sensor.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks. We have used informed delivery for many years but it is no replacement for actually knowing that the mail is in the box and it’s worthwhile making the trip out to the mailbox!

Thanks. This is a big help. How do I find out if there is an Edge driver for the Ecolink Z-Wave device and link that to the sensor.

Paul

It looks like it should work with the SmartThings Beta “Z-ware Sensor driver”

1 Like