Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

So, on chat with ST support, they seem to think that the problem is on Google’s end and that they have sent suggestions to Google.

Told them they should say as much in here.

Just hung up with Google Home support. What a bunch of useless people. They haven’t even acknowledged the problem yet. Told me they would get back to me in 24 - 48 hours. Alexa is back to bat for a while. They are adding multi device music soon. Maybe it’s time to switch back!

2 Likes

Interesting…I thought I had tried this before but just tried unlinking smartthings and then trying to control my Nest thermostat…and it works fine. Unlinked from SmartThings, it seems like other devices work. I really think it’s some sort of latency issue being caused between Google’s cloud services where Google Home runs and SmartThings (which seems to run on AWS). Alexa, which also runs on AWS, seems to work fine from the reports I’ve seen. I do have an issue open with Google about it that has supposedly been handed off to ‘Tier 2’ support but I have yet to hear anything from them about it.

Ok, I spoke a bit too soon. It seems that unlinking SmartThings allows me to control my Nest thermostat more reliably through Google Home…but it’s not perfect. It just goes from working 1 in 10 times to working 8 in 10 times. If I keep trying repeatedly, it does fail but it fails far less often.

In case anyone hasn’t tried recently… It appears to be working again. No official communication from Google, but saw on one of the forums I was monitoring that it worked, so I re linked ST and it appears to be working fine.

But, while ST is working again, the other cloud service integrations still appear to be broken as long as ST is connected. (But hey, I REALLY wanted my ST control… so for now… Goodbye Our Groceries…)

So now you can add/manage/select ST devices?

I was able to add everything (Not selectively), and they actually are recognized and work.

If you are having trouble authorizing, try clearing your browser cache on your phone. (Only answer I have seen that has had any success)

Also, after you unlink, make sure that neither “Google”, or “Google Assistant” are still showing in your smart apps in ST. (I had to manually delete mine)

I tried linking again but it’s still not working. Thanks for the note though.

Are you guys still seeing the issue where Goggle Assistant does not recognize home automation requests? E.g. gives search results in answer to things like “Turn on living room lights”?

For me, that part is working as of about 7 AM EDT this morning. However (and this appears to be on the Google end), it appears to break some other cloud services. In my case, Our Groceries integration fails on the Google Home while ST is linked. It works on the assistant though.

What service are you using for your groceries integration? I wish I could still use Google keep for my groceries list…

Mine is currently using the Hue service to handle this, and is still messing up with basic commands like, “Turn on the living room lights.” - It seems that the word “the” confuses it.

I am also still having problems with not being able to select which SmartThings devices to authorize.

Google has acknowledged the problem, but states that they don’t have a time frame for a fix to be implemented.

Charl11:29 AM
Upon checking on this with our Higher Tier of Support, it seems that we are getting chat/calls like this for the past couple of days. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you, but rest assured that I will escalate this to follow up on them.

Scott 11:30 AM
I’m less interested in a follow up, and more interested to know what the engineering team is doing about it, and when the anticipated resolution is expected.

Charl11:31 AM
Honestly, we don’t have an exact timeframe yet it to when it will be resolved. But don’t worry the moment they’ll have a resolution about this concern, then they(Higher Tier of Support) will definitely get in touch with you about this.

I don’t really have confidence that it will be fixed “soon” since the representative was so vague.

1 Like

Using Our Groceries https://www.ourgroceries.com/overview As far as I know, it is the only one that integrates with GH and assistant.

I did not get it for that. At the time, it was the best one available.

1 Like

Personally, I have seen issues where Google Assistant worked fine from phone but my Google Home didnt (i.e. did not recognize home automation commands). Resetting and setting up the Google Home again fixed it.

As for not being able to select devices, that was an intended change to make it easier for users. I know some people disagree with this and we are collecting feedback.

Is there a poll someplace for the collection of feedback on this issue?

Otherwise, my feedback is allow the selection. If they want to make it easier, make it like Action Tiles, where you can select from Smartthings app.

2 Likes

This. I STRONGLY object to this change, as now many devices I never intended to control with voice have been swept into Google Home and can freely be controlled by anyone within voice range. Commands I use regularly like “turn everything off” now turn my energy monitoring modules for my appliances off, as well as my Arlo Pro security cameras that I have tied to a virtual switch in SmartThings.

How can this so carelessly be changed without thinking of the massive ramification of the change?? I’m dumbfounded here.

2 Likes

I have 150 total devices St loads now in GH.
Unlinking, erasing, didn’t fix it.

The issue is with not being able to choose what devices go in.

When next posters mention that it works or not, please mention how many devices you have - I am willing to bet that this the issue.

I have 90, and I was able to link.

I can link too, but GH doesn’t work with them (tries to recognize it for 5 seconds and comes back with a “sorry, I don’t know how to help with that yet”)

after re-linking, my GH says “Sorry, I can’t help with that” to “Turn on Office Lights” - my V20 assistant comes back with a google search for office lights.