SmartThings Community

Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

(Scott Tuck) #81

I’d say you’ll be hard-pressed to find anyone on community who supports the idea of allowing us to choose which devices we would like to have exposed.

Sure, it makes it “easier” to just import everything, but odds are that if we’re using SmartThings, we have some sort of technical understanding of how the hub works, and we’re perfectly content with picking and choosing what we’d like to have discovered, especially when importing everything could pose potential security risks, or just outright cause things not to work.

1 Like

That is what mine was doing until this morning.

I think GH did an update or something because it just started working again.

(Peter Lucian Pop) #83

Did you place your devices in rooms in GH?

Wish that were true. I have a buddy that went out and got smartthings because he heard I liked it. Problem is, he can’t copy paste without a button or calling me to ask what the keyboard command is (You would think he would write it down…)

Guess who fixes all his broken routines…

I did

I also went out of my way to NOT name the rooms with any part of any of the device names. That seems to cause a conflict.

And, since I had to use smart bulbs due to lack of neutral, I named the individual bulbs without any vowels (ie ktch1, ktch2) and just named the control device the actual name. In my case, I am talking about the trendsetter virtual device.

That way NONE of the devices or routines that I don’t want executed are pronounceable. It was painful. But it appears to have worked.

By the way, now that it imports everything, I highly recommend banning the phrase, “Turn on everything”. We made that mistake: Garage opened (I have a virtual switch that opens the garage door), music started playing on the Samsung Radiants… the grandkids got a laugh and heard new words they should probably never repeat… LOL

Oh, and the opposite managed to turn of my Arlo cameras… I had to go into the arlo app and turn them on in settings after my wife said turn off everything.

1 Like
(Peter Lucian Pop) #86

I had a friend do that on a phone call/on speakerphone. Shut off my water etc. I will do what I can - but if I can’t choose my devices, GH will be used solely for music listening on chrome casts (lesson learned - and it sucks cause tens of friends do a little of what I do with my house).

I was a week away from giving my 5 Alexas to relatives and friends. Lesson learned.

Google - let us choose what goes in GH from ST.

2 Likes
(Scott Tuck) #87

Man, you and I are in the same boat. Anyone who comes to my house wants to get into some home automation after they see my stuff! I just told my wife last night that I was about to pull the Echo Dot out of our bedroom, and begin using it as the central assistant in our home if Google doesn’t get their act together!

I just finished speaking with a supervisor at Google. He told me they are in the process of doing a firmware rollback to fix some of the basic issues, like turning on lights and things of that nature, but he said that he wasn’t sure if they were going to revert the device selection within SmartThings. He did state that SmartThings assisted with that effort, so maybe they could also help.

It seems that Google and SmartThings both signed off of this change, but neither want to take responsibility and revert it. I mean…At minimum, import everything, and let me go somewhere and uncheck some boxes. I can deal with that!

3 Likes
(Bill S.) #88

No wonder my entire house shuts off when I tell GH to turn everything off. I thought it was yet another bug in Google. This is NOT a welcome change. Just another reason for me not to ever abandon my Echos. As if the issues that Google introduces isn’t enough, now we have ST adding another level of “WTH” into the equation.

1 Like
(Bill S.) #89

That’s pretty much what my GH devices are: Glorified smart speakers. Echo controls everything else in the house while my Google Homes sit doing nothing but music and an occasional query about the weather.

Once Amazon gets multi-room audio completed, I’m completely ditching Google Home.

(Peter Lucian Pop) #90

I was planning the other way even though $120 gh in every room is way more than the many $30 Dots I have. I just got Chromecast Audios and was ready to just stop the Prime bleeding and ditch Amazon (the savings would be huge). Now I can’t - ActionTiles on old tablets around the house work great, but I need to talk to my devices - and it’s crazy how badly Google messed it up. (I am tired of Alexa going “you have more than one device, which one did you want”? (there is only one Kitchen word in the list).

(Scott Tuck) #91

I really wish we could have an Echo with a Google search engine. Google DOES do a better job at searching, but that’s about it. Oh, I do also like that I can set custom triggers using Google Assistant on IFTTT.

1 Like
(Bill S.) #92

I found that creating (and maintaining) groups in Alexa does wonders. I rarely get that response unless there’s a ton of noise in the room OR I’m using one of the Dots. My full Echos are always better at hearing (YMMV).

(Bill S.) #93

Actually? You can (ish). It’s a hack, but many people have said it works well:

Also, if you aren’t using EchoSistant or Ask Alexa with Echo, you’re missing out. Easily outpaces what GH does even with IFTTT custom phrases.

(Scott Tuck) #94

I too would prefer to go all Google, but I feel like Amazon has done a better job with features. I’m a HUGE Google fan, and I love them, but they have to get their act together. Fixing this issue, and rolling out some Dot competitors soon might win my heart back lol

I initially had 3 dots, and an echo, and ditched them all but 1 on Google Home launch day. I was so frustrated that it couldn’t do basic things like change the colors of my Hue lights (which I think they’ve now fixed) out of the box.

My wife on the other hand…She’s ready to burn all of the smart home things right now lol

(Scott Tuck) #95

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I’ll have to check it out after work.

1 Like
(Bill S.) #96

Happy wife, happy smart home life :wink: I’m pretty lucky as my wife enjoys all the automation. When things go wrong, she sits on her phone and plays match 3 games until I fix it. LOL

3 Likes

The ST person I spoke with on chat (two days ago) indicated that they had given google some suggestions, and that it was now up to Google to implement

(Scott Tuck) #98

This is depressing. I hope the 2 companies are still communicating throughout this.

1 Like
(Scott Tuck) #99

Well,

Looks like Google is calling some of their automation issues “fixed.” While my Google Home is doing better with controlling basic things like lights than it was yesterday, still no change with SmartThings Integration as far as the device authorization goes.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/googlehome/euyT8cToGcg;context-place=forum/googlehome

(Scott Tuck) #100

I decided to start a specific post just for this on the Google Product forums. If you guys want to tack onto it, it may help:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!topic/googlehome/KVjOWB0PVF8;context-place=forum/googlehome