Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

Reported to smartthings cs. If u haven’t please do so. So they can expedite our issue.

I’m having the same issue. I just added a linear garage door controller. Works great from smart things. Am unable to get home app to search for new devices. Chatted with gh support and ran out of time. They did say they only support lights, switches and outlets. Not true. How can I control my door lock then?? What is going on???

Garage Door controller has never been available to me directly through google home. I think it is a security thing. What I did is create virtual switches for Open and Close that trigger routines that open and close.

I appreciate that info. I guess my main concern is why I cannot scan for new devices? That’s the underlying issue. Once I can scan for new devices then I will delay with virtual switches, if necessary.

So I just added a new Phillips Hue bulb to test this out. Smart things picked it right up. Go into Google home app, and it doesn’t show up there either. No way to scan for anything new. Funny GH said it only supports certain items, get my sprinkler system shows up there…

This update totally screwed my setup. I was integrated with ST + Hue in GH. I used to be able to exclude the hue bulbs from the ST integration and use the HUE integration for my hue bulbs. Now everything in ST shows up automagically (based on the documentation updates this seems intentional), so to get around that i removed the Hue integration, and now i’m having to control my hue bulbs through the GH/ST integration, which is spotty at best (lights turn on/off 1 at a time… clunky for a room with a lot of bulbs, sometimes a single bulb will be missed). Also voice control seems to be working about 1/10 times at best. I’ve loved GH + ST so far so i’m trying to be patient, but good grief!

Is there anyway to let either the SmartThings or the Google Home team know that the previous method of manually selecting the devices is actually very much preferred?

Technical issues aside, maybe they think that automatically adding all devices/automations are what users want.

1 Like

Hello adrian… i think i have the same problem! Only with the eu shard

I would prefer to control what devices I share with GH from a SmartApp (this is how homebridge basically works) and have GH automatically pick up those devices. Maybe they could add an “automatically add new devices to GH” option.

Just forwarded a link to this thread to the support chat team. I suppose now I need to contact smartthings.

Now, NONE of my devices seem to work with Google Home… Wife Approval Factor now minus 10

I’m having the same issue since the update to allow Google Home to access SmartThings routines.

Previously, I could explicitly exclude devices (Rachio sprinklers, etc.) from Google Home voice control.

I also had the ability to refresh SmartThings from Google Home to add/remove devices.

Now, if I add a new device to SmartThings, I have to disconnect SmartThings from Google Home entirely, then reconnect it. Unfortunately, this loses all my room assignments, which takes forever to restore manually.

I had to disconnect Rachio, Sonos, and Harmony completely from SmartThings before I reconnected it to Google Home, or Home voice commands like “turn everything on” would turn on all my sprinklers, speakers, etc. even when all I wanted was my lights, switches, and outlets.

1 Like

Well, actually, I am not able to get anything working now. “I am sorry, I don’t know how to help you with that”, “Sorry, power controls is not yet supported.”

Seriously reconsidering my decision to purchase GH right now.

“Wife approval factor minus 10.”

I am in the same shoes.

1 Like

Add me to the list of people who suddenly had google home stop working. What’s weird is that I’m told that there has been no update to to the Google Home itself in the last few days but this problem started right after the SmartThings update. What’s even weirder is that I also can’t control my Nest Thermostat which is a separate integration. What’s weirdest is that if I repeat the command 10 times, it may work once in those 10 tries. And there’s also a delay in the response. It used to fire off immediately after saying the command…now it’s like it’s thinking for a bit before responding. All of this makes it seem like some sort of latency issue between Google’s cloud and AWS which seems to be what SmartThings and Nest both use. Because of the volume of requests, the timeout for a response would have to be very short and it seems like it is just timing out most of the time on the connection. That’s the only thing I can think of that would explain all of these things.

GH and Smartthings completely down. I see the same thing. I used to just have lights connected with the integration, after removing link and adding back I now have 139 items including momentary automation buttons used for group control. This is now useless. My whole house is down. Luckily I still have Alexa! Great work Google and ST!!! IFTTT integration is a decent temporary fix but time consuming. Wife approval is now “heading to hotel”!

1 Like

Both my GH units have been dead for a week. Can’t unlink smartthings and it seems to have failed the first time I attempted. It actually unlinked 27 devices but left two. Now those are phantom devices and nothing can be done with them. There is no way to relink. Factory reset of phone + google home devices did not help.

Contacted google support last week and they are basically doing nothing. Told me they are aware a small number of people are having issues and are working on a stable fix. That was before this most recent patch, so clearly they couldn’t fix it. Having spoken to Google support a half dozen times at this point, they don’t have an ETA and don’t really see not being able to use smartthings as a real issue.

I’ve switched back to echo for now. Might pick up another echo unit and try to dump my two GH doorstops on ebay.

Everything works fine for me through my android phone, tablet or watch. But both google homes will not turn on anything. Doesn’t make sense to me.

So, after you said this, I tried one last time to reset everything. I also have other assistant apps that work in the cloud that quit working. (Our Groceries) Funny thing is, after the reset, I was able to talk to our groceries before I authorized smartthings. Once I authorized smartthings, Our Groceries stopped working again. So, I unlinked smartthings and immediately Our Groceries worked with Google again.

So, smartthings just updated cloud services, and now things linked to cloud services stop working when smartthings is linked… Coincidence???

1 Like

Just piling on…same issues here and Google support was no help.

A week ago I had only the 30 devices I wanted to be able to control with voice working great with Google home.

Now I have to add everything, which caused duplicates and exposes device I don’t want to have voice control. But the worse part is the Google home is very inconsistent now and barely works, maybe 1 out of 10 tried to do something simple like turn off the kitchen lights.

If google isn’t going to fix this maybe smartthings could add a way for us to select which devices are available Google Home from within the smarthings apr or ide… Kind of like it used to work until Google messed it up.

2 Likes

Same here. The answer back is “I don’t understsnd”. What is curious is that this is the only thread I can find on this subject. Is it that so few people use GH with St? I thought it would be its main use (and Samsung would promote it as such).

I had 60 devices open to GH and now it loads water sensors and other stuff (145 including virtual master dimmers etc).

Is there a Google thread we could flood so they can fix the issue? I have to be able to choose what devices GH sees (and preferably like with Alexa in ST app not GH app). I am sure the problem. Is that it’s can’t filter between 141 devices before it times out…

(this started when I unlinked GH to add more switches Monday, 3 days before the ST update - I am sure it happened when they changed ST in home and removed the selection of devices.) I would speculate that it works for mom and pa with 10 lights and a garage door but not for a house with 140+ devices)

1 Like