Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

This thread seems to be wandering around a bunch of unrelated issues so:

If you have duplicate devices in GH that can’t be deleted as the result of performing a hard reset on the ST hub-

The solution (though I can’t give exact directions because I tried so many things) calls for uninstalling Google from ST. Then on ALL of the phones that share the affected GH Homes, delete the affected Home entry(s). Make sure that all actions “stick”. Repeat if necessary.

Now reinstall GH support in ST. Assign your devices to rooms and be sure to tell GH to “sync devices”. Everything should work without duplication including pistons called in routines.

1 Like

I’ve done this a thousand times. Stale, disconnected devices remain in the “lights, plugs, and more” category under routines. And although that’s the only place I see them, it’s obvious Assistant still see them, because it tells me the account owner must sync SmartThings. I’ve been around the block with Google support, and this madness continues. They need to provide an option to complete wipe out Assistant and start over from scratch…

Thanks for this tip … I just added a CT-101 (after Sensi DTH stopped working) and couldnt figure out how to add the new Thermostat to GH … Not sure if I have seen the “Hey Google, Sync Devices” documented anywhere … but your post solved it.

Thanks!

James

If a new device is added, it should appear after a minute or so in Google Home automatically.

As for the Ghost devices, we are still working with Google on trying to reproduce and solve the issue.

The only common theme we have noticed is that it comes from account sharing.

1 Like

Ok thanks, I waited awhile and never saw it - which is why I scoured these boards :slight_smile: how often is it supposed to do a resync?

Service detects if devices are added,removed or renamed in SmartThings and that triggers a resync to Google.

Hello Lars,
I am seeing the same issue with the phantom / ghost connection between SmartThings and Google Home. The issue started for me after I changed from the SmartThings account to the Samsung account, the next time I removed and readded ST to GH.

In addition, I did connect using a different account the second time. I have switched accounts and verified that there is no connection anywhere in GH to ST. However, when I ask GH to change the status of ST switches, it still says that it is unable to connect to ST, and if I say update accounts it says I need to be the owner user. There is no connection anywhere visible, and the devices don’t exist in GH anywhere visible.

Please let me know if I can help debug, my issue just happened two days ago, it had been working fine.

I have one device now showing up 3 times, I tryed removing from Google in the smartapp, I saw a sync on the ide but it was never removed from Google. When i enabled the device in the smartapp it synced and another apeared

Hi Lars - Well, I don’t believe changes are propagating, at least not within 1 hour … I changed the name of a device and google still kept the old name. When I did a “Hey google, sync devices” it was immediately updated. I could test to see if it changes after 24 hours if you like.

I have seen cases were name is updated correctly on Google sides but the Google Home app still shows the old name until killed and restarted. However, voice commands with new name works fine within a minute after changing it.

Which was the case for you, did their app show the old name, and if so did you try a voice command with new name anyways?

In regard to duplicate devices, ive found that makeing sure 2 factor auth is off on googles side.

I still have a sceen deleted from smarttings showing up in the google home app though

@mark_cockcroft

Do you just turn off 2 factor when setting things up? I would like to add my bride to our google homes but have been leery based on the issues that I’ve seen in this thread.

It removed the duplicates. But my set up has gone to rat …

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ll wait then. I only have myself on the Google homes and have an issue with syncing already. I can only sync if I let Google have access to ALL my devices. If I only select the ones I want there is an error during syncing. I don’t want to add anymore “wierdness” into the system.

only tip i can give is stay away from the new interface in the home app, use rooms but not ‘homes’,dont use two factor auth and dont limit the devices you shaire from smatthings with google

I haven’t used the new app much at all. Mainly just to see what’s working. Not having momentary virtual switches is going to be PIA. I have managed to get the ceiling fan light of the home Depot Wink enabled Zigbee fan controller to turn on but the status isn’t updated and it won’t turn it off. I haven’t created anything in the new app yet.

@Lars Any updates on this? I used a different email address when I migrated and now I also have duplicate devices and cannote be remove because I m not the “owner”.

@Lars Hi Lars, I am new to the community. I still cannot link Smartthings to Google Assistant (Google Home app) in my Android phone. Please advise. Thanks!

p.s.-- Sorry but I don’t know how to PM you…

@Lars I too have these issues; I can “unlink” ST from GH, and when I clean out my cache and restart the GH app, in the device list all my ST devices are missing. However, if I go into “routines,” all my ST devices are still there, and I cannot edit any routines that ever used an ST device as I will get a “connection failure.”

I do have Home sharing (with my wife), so I’m aware of how this bug got to me, but there has to be a way to fix it…