Google Home Assistance - problems with ST - KNOWN issue to Google

I’m having terrible problems with just about every linked service - smartthings, ecobee, harmony. The home app has turned into a total shit-show over the past few months.

I’ve spent the past few weeks linking, unlinking, fdr’ing 5 GH devices multiple times. It’s almost working, but there are still phantom devices and phantom rooms. Every time I unlink/link I get a different result and it never completely clears out no matter what I do. And I’ve tried it all.

Really disappointed and wished I’d stuck with Alexa, and I’ve been a GH owner since day one.

GH is acting up with my ST :frowning: My problem is i did a unlink of the ST under linked services under manage accounts and now the ST is gone from Linked services under Manage accounts, but alle the devices from the ST is stil “in your home” all 78 of them and none of them is responding, if i go direct to the devices settings and click unlink smartthings i end up at the Linked services sections again and theres still no ST to remove. im not able to add the ST again either, so im kinda locked in this evil ring :frowning:

I’m now having this problem. I tried to sync devices to remove some stale devices, and it told me the account owner needed to update SmartThings. I thought that was strange, so I unlinked my account. I now am not able to re-link my account. When I do, it gets stuck in some sort of weird limbo. The phantom devices never go away, my scenes are all duplicated, it’s a nightmare. Lars, to answer your question, yes. My wife had a separate ST account linked with Google Home via her own Google account. I later added her to my Google Home group. Is there anything you can do to help me?

I think by dumb luck I managed to remove the stale devices, but when I ask Google Home to sync devices, it’s still giving me a message about the SmartThings account owner needing to sync devices. Additionally, ALL of my ST routines are duplicated in the “scenes” section of Home Control. This last part is actually the biggest concern to me, as half of them don’t work, and it doesn’t seem to be always the first or the last that works or doesn’t. God this has been frustrating, and Google Home support wasn’t worth much…

Yep, this is exactly where I am now. I have my devices added back, but GA says “sorry I can’t reach SmartThings right now” whenever I try to control any of them. Something is very hosed. I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting about a billion times now. I just don’t know what the hell to do…

I am talking to Google about this but so far they have not been able to reproduce the problem. Nothing has changed on SmartThings side in regards to device sync and linking.

It does seem like everyone who is affected has used multiple Google accounts.

I’m having the same problem - dozens of duplicate/orphaned devices. I’ve unlinked my SmartThings account at least a dozen times, and then all my working, current devices are gone (as they should be). But, what’s left seems to be devices from a few weeks ago from before I switched from logging in to SmartThings by using my SmartThings account to using a Samsung account. I’ve physically removed from the system a few devices (like WeMo outlets) and they still show and can’t be deleted.

More detail… If I try to delete any of the orphaned devices, I get the message that only the account owner (me) can do that. My theory is that Google linked originally using the SmartThings account which is now inacessible, so it can’t unlink that account. When I link again, it’s linking using the new Samsung login to SmartThings. This is a SmartThings caused problem as far as I can tell, but they can’t fix it. Lars, any chance you can figure out how to delete these inaccessible accounts? Another hint I have for my theory – in the SmartThings Classic app, under the main menu, Manage Users, my email appears twice as owner - and I believe that’s once for the current Samsung login, and once, for the former SmartThings login.

Because of this, I get errors with almost every command I try. Even though I renamed all the orphaned devices in the Home app, it still sees them somehow under the original names and therefor they interfere with my current devices.

Please help. I’ve spent hours and hours trying to fix this and have gotten nowhere. BTW, I have one Home location and a single Google account.

Lee.K, Was your orginal SmartThings account email address the same as your new Samsung account email address?

And for everyone else having issues, can you recall if this issue appeared after you migrated to Samsung account?

Yes, same email address and password.

Hey all, I was having some issues with Google Home after migrating to the new smartthings app because apparently my new tv somehow got added to a second Home location and I cannot change it to the home location with all my old devices. I tried unlinking Smartthings from Google Home in order to attempt to resolve the issue and now when I look the account I get stuck on the page saying that the accounts were successfully linked. Pressing the X or back button to get out of this page and the account doesn’t appear to be linked. Any thoughts on this?

I went from not being able to control my tv with Google home to not being able to control any device?

Looks like I was able to resolve this by opening the “success” page in the browser.

I still have the issue of the tv showing up in a different home location though.

Hi Lars,

I have the same issue as Lee. K. After migration to Samsung account my email did change. Any way to fix this?

Thanks.

Hi Lars, Any update on this problem?

I have the same problem as many others on this thread. I won’t repeat the details. Curiously, however, ST is working with Alexa.

We are trying to reproduce this on our side to figure out if the issue is on ST or Google side.

1 Like

I have run into this issue too. I have deleted the Google integration from Smartthings and Unlinked Smartthings from Google Home app, but I still have all the Smartthings devices and duplicates of all the routines. If I re-link Smartthings in the Google Home app I just end with more duplicates. I can’t control anything in my house any more as Google Home tries to control the duplicate and just says “sorry there was an error”. Very frustrating!

I also get the same error if I ask google assistant to sync devices. “The account owner will need to sync SmartThings”.

If I could just get rid of the ghost devices in the Google Home app I’d be set.

@Lars

Not sure if this is related but here goes.

For the last few weeks I have been getting an error when telling Google to sync my devices. It syncs fine for Harmony and Roku but says “there was an error syncing Smartthings”. I DID NOT have all of my devices exposed to Google.

Tonight I told the Google smart app to expose everything to Google home. I was able to sync without any issues.

When I turned off the “all devices” switch and tried to sync, I am again getting the “there was an error syncing Smartthings”.

I only have one user associated with the Google account. I have not unlinked/ linked for fear that nothing will work if I do that.

When you said you “turned off all devices”, did you enable a few single devices? Otherwise the sync might have failed because no devices or routines were provided…

@Lars

When I turned the switch back off my original configuration was still there. Probably 50+ devices exposed.

Just discovered something else. I have a couple devices that have “extra light” in the name. I originally only had one of these devices exposed.

Here is the interesting thing. When the “all devices” switch is on, you can sync devices (it completes without error) and telling Google home to turn on/off the “extra light” will cause both devices to turn on. The expected behavior.

When the “all devices” switch is off, sync fails with the error but when telling Google to turn on/off the extra ceiling light, it will turn on one device and say that the other one is not available. So it looks like only the “selected” devices are being exposed to Google it’s just Google can’t sync devices unless it can sync everything that is available in Smartthings.

This make sense?