Good cheap motion sensors

I got some of the Ecolink Z-Wave PIR Motion Detector, Pet Immune (PIRZWAVE2-ECO) from Amazon. Have not received them yet but are they best cheap ones or are there some other brands I can try?

The Iris ones are also very good and reasonably cheap if you use a coupon ($29.99 full price). This is also going to report temperature.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_690402-41277-3326-L___?productId=999925310&pl=1&Ntt=iris

The Monoprice ones can be made to be decent with the right device type handler. These will report temperature as well and, when in stock, are $21.99.

There is a discussion in this thread on some of the cheaper motion sensors. Most of the discussion on comparisons is toward the very bottom:

1 Like

Iris and Ecolink are about the same price, so which one if I had to choose from the two.

Monoprice are Ecolink with a different firmware (literally, there is a sticker over where it says ‘Ecolink’ on mine).

The Monoprice are not good if you want a fast response. Mine consistently take 3-4 seconds to send a signal. So, using them to trigger lights is not really great. I have heard similar things for Ecolink. On the plus side, the Ecolink ones have a few functions the Monoprices do not (such as pet immunity and test mode).

I don’t have an Iris one but it looks like they respond better (please, correct me if I’m wrong), and the temperature reporting might be a bit better too.

I’m going to order a couple now and see if they work better for where I want them to turn lights on faster than 3-4 seconds after someone comes in.

I have the Ecolink, iris, and Enerwave motion sensors.

I love the Enerwave. They are fast to report and reset in 15 seconds. They are ceiling mounted and have 360° detection. These average about $50.00 each. They are very difficult to set up with ST, but once working they are great.

I also love the iris sensors. Very small, very fast, and reset in about 20 seconds. They also report temp. Bonus, they are very cheap.

Ecolink/monoprice sensors - I used both of them. They are the reason I spent 50.00 each on the Enerwave sensors. Personally, I hate them.
They are big, slow to detect, slow to report, and take forever to reset. The fastest I could get one to reset was one minute. They just were not good for my uses. Though, they after good for out door use for driveways and such. They also report temp.

I hear the ecolinks work better if you put the jumper on test instead of pet1 and pet2. Does that make any difference?

Some of them the test jumper makes a difference, done they don’t. I had two of them. One reset in one minute the other was a random time from 2.5 to 5 minutes.

If you have pets and need the pet immunity, I recommend the Ecolink.

Otherwise, Iris gets you more bang for your buck and in a smaller profile.

I have Iris, Ecolink, Monoprice, and both generations of ST motion sensors.

I think Iris is the best value for non-pet owners.

You can use masking tape creatively to focus your sensors

Maybe I will give Iris a shot. My Lowes has 9 in stock. I can return them if I dont like them

I’m not a pet owner, so no need for me.
Just means I can’t really chime in on how well that works as it’s not a use case for me.

But the Iris does what I need stock. And I got mine in the Home Security kit I nabbed for $60, so it was essentially half price (4 items for $60)

The ecolink are 27.00 on Amazon take out the jumper and it makes the reset time 5 seconds which is super fast. Also these things are super sensitive. If you need temperature with motion get the iris from lowes.

I dont care for temperature monitoring. I just need to switch on and off the lights and fan when here is motion or not. And no pets here either.

I would go for the ecolink just make sure to take off the jumper so you have the 5 second reset. It’s really called test mode but I use mine like this for over a year now and the battery is still at 100% . I’m also using mine for turning on/off lights. It works well and best of all you can buy a 2 pack for 55.00

1 Like

I went through the ecolink manual and it says if the jumper is off its in test mode with a reset of 4 mins. If you want a faster reset 5s, the jumper has to be in the slot labelled test. Is that not correct?

1 Like

That is correct, but I still couldn’t get mine to reset in under a minute. Good luck.

All mine I have 4 of them reset in 5 seconds . You just have to change the jumper

Really? Just change the jumper? Yeah… I tried that along with a hundred different things. That was my point. Mine didn’t work, very few have been lucky enough to get them to work that way.

Changing the jumper changed it from 5 minutes to one.

This is what mine looks like, the jumper is on the left . And i tested them all its more like 8 seconds but it still resets in just little time. When i had Vera it was more like 5 second .

This, plus I would get more aggravated with the ecolink’s time to reset. Having my pets set off my lights is no big deal since I have them turnoff within a minute usually.

I do like the Iris, better than the SmartThings ones, more reliable and both are quick and reset fast. Already had to get an RMA on one ST one and a few others act up every month or so and need a reset. They do report temp more reliably than the Iris though.