Go Control Garage Door opener/closer not actually opening or closing garage door

Thank you so much for these walk through tutorials. It’s helped a lot. I have successfully soldered the wires to the door button and paired the device. It reports correctly when it’s closed or open.

Now for my issue. I can use smartthing to control the device once. Open or closed it works great…once… Then I can’t seem to open or close the door with the button or through the smartthing app.

The deluxe does not signal it’s trying to open or close after I have opened or closed it once…

The button is still light up (unlike when the light when out when I tried to wire to the garage door and tried to activate open or close from smartthing) but neither the side light button or the main open/close button works.

I have to unplug the gocobtrol device and plug it back in, in order for the buttons to work or for the gocobtrol device to work.

Any advice? I really appreciate your help.

Hi Keven. I’m mike. I just installed my go controller garage door opener today. Got it from amazon today. i paired it with my SmartThings SmartThings Hub. On my phones smartthings app, the opener status was unknown until i pushed the wall button to open the door. The motion mounted to the door gave the doors position. In this instance it was “open”. I closed the door using the smartthings app. The controller beeped for five second like its supposed to and closed the door. Tried to open the door after the app recognized it as closed and nothing. The app said opening but no action followed. It didn’t properly work the first time and every time subsequently after. My instructions say to wire it into the push button switch terminals which I did. The opener only ever does just one action. I have to pull the plug and hit the button on the wall reactivate the controller. The remote opener and buttons always work like yours do but the controller seems to lock out after an initial command. Samsung Support says its too far from the hum as i measured 50 feet and thru three walls. I dont think that’s the problem as the hub discovered from that distance. Let me know your thoughts.

My Gocontrol garage unit worked fine for 10 months and now following problem started happening.

1. Can’t open or close garage from smarthings app.
  2. Can open or close using wall unit or other physical remotes
  3. Still get open or close notification from smarthings app.
    I have Craftsman garage door unit. Any ideas what could be the issue?
1 Like

The GoControl units are known to fail - I had one fail about 6 or 7 months in, others w/similar stories and different timelines have posted the same in other threads here - not too hard to find if you search. They just aren’t known to be terribly reliable over time, unfortunately.

The device seems like it’s working, it provides the same warning beeps, but nothing happens. I don’t know that anyone has found a fix. I got mine replaced by Amazon.

EDIT: And I strongly encourage anyone who purchased from Amazon to contact Amazon to complain…Amazon will pull products that high complaint rates, and the best way to get Nortek to make things better is to make Nortek and resellers (like Go Control) respond to the problem and fix it.

BTW - Amazon sent me a free replacement even though I was >6 months out from my purchase date.

Good luck.

1 Like

I just installed a GoControl garage door controller. It’s not working in every way. Sometimes it accurately tells me if the door is open, sometimes not. Sometimes (though rarely) it opens or closes the door. When I tap it to say open the door, mostly nothing happens except it shows as “opening” - just stays at that. The app does not show “unknown” which it seems means it’s connected to the tilt sensor and to the smartthings hub. Suggestions? Yes, the tilt sensor is installed in the correct orientation with arrows up. Yes, the GoCOntrol is paired (I did have to exclude it first). Strangely, the setup I had with a linear switch and an ecolink tilt sensor are working at the moment (I bought the goControl because ST told me it was their recommendation when I had problems with my Linear). Thanks in advance for any help

1 Like

The symptoms you describe sound like you have a weak mesh/signal. How far is the closest non-battery powered ZWave device from your GoControl Device? Have you run a ZWave repair lately?

Sadly I just installed my GoControl and all went great on the install. I have a Sears Craftsman garage door opener from 1996 with a RED learn button. Model # 139.53664SRT.

Install went fine, wires attached to Red and White terminals that are the wires used by the push-button controller mounted on the wall. I manually opened the garage with the push button and the GoControl sees that it is in the proper state of Open or Closed. When I issue a command to the GoControl via the SmartThings app, it alerts with the beeps, says it is closing the door but nothing happens.

The same happens should I try to OPEN the door via the GoControl, it beeps, but nothing occurs beyond that.

I have cycled power to both the Garage Door unit and the GoControl, restored power in the order listed in the manual… no dice. I have also checked that the wires are security in contact with the terminals… nice and snug and all other wires are attached.

I’d welcome any help as this GoControl unit was a gift. I’m guessing I have a faulty unit out of the box given that I’ve checked everything I can think of on it. Frustrated… couple hours of work to and fro and I’m dead in the water… should I contact GoControl for a replacement? I’d like to swap it out seeing as returning it is not an option as it was purchased for me at Christmas time and we are 6 months past that. I didn’t get to the installation until TODAY. lol. Serves me right I suppose…

Try sending an email to nortek: security.linear@nortek.com. I reported a similar problem on a unit that failed after 16 months of very light duty operation in our vacation home. Nortek replied the same day and the service was exceptional.

1 Like

Thanks for that e-mail SteveV. I just send a detailed summary of what is happening with photos and proof of purchase. :smiley:

Fingers are crossed…

FYI - I removed the wall mounted controller and it still didn’t change the result so I don’t think this circa 12/1996 garage door opener is having the same struggle as those with newer units. If I’m wrong on that, please comment and provide your opinion on what would resolve the problem. Here is a photo of my controller.

You didn’t mention whether or not the LED light on the GoControl flashes when it gets an up or down command from SmartThings. If it doesn’t, the GoControl unit is likely bad as the symptoms appear to follow the other reported failure modes. One last thing I can think of (which you may have already done) is leaving the Craftsman wall mounted switch disconnected, power cycling the GoControl unit and trying to open/close the door using the SmartThings app. Also, the wires coming from the GoControl should be on the same terminals as those coming from the wall switch–I assume you’ve already checked that as well?

Hello again, thanks for the checklist, if it doesn’t help me it may help another.

In my case I think I have checked all of these items with the exception of 0.5 of 1:

• The light does flash and the alarm sounds
  • The terminals used are the same for the wall mount and the GoC
  • I did actually try it without the wall controller attached to any wires at all, but I did not power cycle the GoControl upon making that change. That is an easy test so I’ll get it a whirl.

Thanks Again!
-DonU

Update - turns out it was a bad device. I called GoControl and they actually walked me through resetting the GD00z-4 device to factory defaults (press the pairing button 5x, wait for long beep), then start from scratch on install with SmartThings. That had no impact on the device actually WORKING for me, but at least we tried everything…

The bad news is this was a gift for Christmas and Linear/GoControl would not exchange it without the receipt. Despite the fact I had the original box, packaging, etc… They simply wouldn’t believe me on the age of the device and I’m stuck with a broken one or buying a new one. My bad for letting this project sit for months or I could have had a return done where it was purchased, but it is what it is. I wasn’t keen on installing it in the dead of Winter up here in Michigan.

I bought a new unit to see if it would work =and= I have the receipt just in case. The new unit worked easily out of the box and my garage door is working as expected with the SmartThings App.

I’m still very unhappy with GoControl… the tech support was top notch and very knowledgeable. They gave me an RMA# and instructed me to contact returns via e-mail with that #. The returns department is not interested in your problem, your situation nor your satisfaction as a customer. They want to hide behind a policy, which I understand needs to exist to prevent abuse on returns, but they wouldn’t accept it even with a gift receipt.

As a result I told them I’d being posting on every store that sells their product resulting in far more lost business than my $80 exchange, which is likely closer to $20 their cost. At least that gives me some satisfaction seeing as I have no recourse outside of it. I also posted on their FB site is addition to reviews on several large retailers that sell their product.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

The work-around link no longer works. I’m in this same boat and would love to solve it via the soldering method. Does anyone have another link or instructions? Thanks!

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I’m only seeing the red/white screw terminals on the 883LM. Do I take the circuit board out of the button and flip it over? (I’ve never soldered before…) Thanks-- I’m dying to get this working!

I need a link or work around for connecting the go control garage door opener to a Chaberlain LiftMaster Garage door please. It is a single button and will not control the garage directly at the opener

I have a similar situation, though I am close enough to the original purchase to have a return authorization from Amazon. My controller is properly connected to the hub and I have verified the wiring multiple times. I am trying to decide if I should purchase another GoControl device on the bet that I just have a lemon and a new one will work. That would make the return easier as I would only have to swap out the main unit. Curious to know how many people have just gotten dud units to make an estimate of what my odds are that just purchasing a new unit will work.

Does anyone know if there’s an updated tutorial? Stringify’s forums no longer exist. Other posters in here used postimg.org which apparently no longer exists. I thought it’d be as simple as soldering two wires to either of the two micro buttons on my wall controller but I’m not having any luck. For some reason if I take a single wire and touch it to all 4 connections it will open/close the garage but if I connect my GoControl’s 2 wires to all 4 posts of the micro switch it won’t work.

I just got my GoControl to work with my liftMaster 3585s purple learn button. It would not work with a 888LM Security + 2.0 wall control but it does now work with a 378LM wireless wall control. I think it would also work with a 78LM older technology wall control. Security + 2.0 uses a coded signal to communicate with the opener and the GoControl does not give a suitable pulse. Bottom line, it will not work if you have Security + 2.0 on EITHER the opener(maybe a yellow button?) or on the wall control such as 888LM. I had also tried a work around by soldering the GoControl wires to an old wireless control that works with the opener. I couldn’t get this to work, but maybe it was my crappy solder job. Anyway it is working now now with one exception that after it completes one command such as opening the door, it will not immediately take a command to close the door. Of course, once you are in the garage you can close in with the wall control.