Ghost new device suddenly appeared this morning!

(Dan) #1

I experienced a strange behavior this morning. My Dashboard showed a new device needing configuration. It turns out SmartThings thinks that I have added a new Centralite switch to my hub. I did not, and I only have one such switch, which is also still showing up on the device page. That one has been added months ago.

The device has a Device Network ID, different from the real switch, but no ZigBee ID.

Has anyone else seen new devices appear out of the blue?

(Tim Slagle) #2

I’ve seen this happeen when the hub loses some sort of connection with the original device. It’s only happened twice i think in two years. I don’t expect you’ll see it again.

(Dan) #3

Thanks for the reply. I need another switch and was hoping the elves dropped one off :smile:.

(Matt) #4

I’ve had a similar thing happen a handful of times. Basically what @tslagle13 was saying my hub loses connectivity with a device, then I readd it. However I actually like it in this instance because then I can move SmartApp’s from the old to the new without forgetting anything. Once each has been moved I exclude it.

Not the same thing because you didn’t initiate the new addition though.

The elves can drop me stuff anytime! Like currently I’d take 8 smart vents. :smile:

(Beckwith) #5

I went away for a week and when I returned SIX new “ghost” items appeared. Before this happened I noticed a device error out during Z-Wave repair. However, in the IDE, no such device existed. I suspect they are related but haven’t had time to diagnose it.

I deleted the items without any consequences.

(Jeff DeWolfe) #6

I have also had this happen with a Centralite switch. Kinda frustrating imo.

(Dan) #7

When I got home, I confirmed that the ghost device controlled the same physical device as the real one. So I was able to turn the physical switch off using the ghost device tile and then turn the same physical switch back on with the original device tile. As @beckwith, I deleted the device, seemingly without consequence, at least so far.