Gentle wake-up in new app?

Done. Thanks Gabor for your input.

Any luck? I’m having the same issue.

Nah… got only reply saying that my feedback is passed to ‘relevant team’ . This was back in March. No change in Smart App. They say that time slows down near the black hole. I think Smartthings is one.

2 Likes

You can have a look on the new Custom Capability documentation. That has an example for the Gentle Wake Up. You might want to implement it by yourself.

Thanks but I’m not planning to be SmartThings developer. If the wake-up light will be updated by someone some day, I’m happy. If not, I can live with that too. No need for wake-up light atm up here in north, sun shines almost all-night anyway :sunglasses: .

Is Gentle Wake-Up gone? I was using this every day as part of my wake up routine and now all I seem to be able to get is instant on rather than a gradual increase in brightness that I had with the Gentle Wake-Up controller. Not pleasant.

Please see my previous post above. It hasn’t been updated. You can do it for yourself using the guide (you might need to look at previous version of the linked post, as it has been updated since then…)

Hi, it is October already and I am forced to use the new version of ST. I have just “migrated” to the new one. I am very fond of my “Gentle Wake Up”; it appears in the list, but it is not recognized. I have just now gone in the IDE to try and see if I could do it through it, but is still in the same state. Like someone else mentioned here, I do not have the desire or the capability to become a coder or a developer. I barely can copy and paste code to create a smartapp in the IDE. Is there any way anyone here can tell someone who is truly a beginner how to implement this with the new friggin app, please?

I am attaching a screenshot of the response I get when I try to activate Gentle Wake Up.

PS: when I tried to do it through the IDE, I got this error:
physicalgraph.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type ‘Gentle Wake Up Controller’ in namespace ‘smartthings’ not found. @line 305 (initialize)

2 Likes

As a work-around, if you happen to use Google Home/Assistant, you may try https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9304145?hl=en
I haven’t tried it myself yet.

1 Like

Gentle Wake Up no longer creates a hook to use in Smart Lighting smartapp or automations or scenes.
Way to go Samsung. You forced me to use new app which broke my home automation. Such “upgrade”!

1 Like

Have a look at this:

In Europe, Spain, with android & iOS and América & Asia if You does not have android, this version modified and Publishing dth gente wake Up controller for you works in new app.

The DTH Gentle Wake up Controller does not need to change any code. You only have create dth and publish it for you in IDE.
And the smartapp only need remove the line 253 // input (name: “completionPhrase”, type …
in completion Page.
I found 2 bug too in SmartApp:

• does not reach the final % if the total time is too long
  • App can restart dimming if smartlighting app send several times the On command to controller.
    Resolved in SmartApp in my previus link.

I’ve done as you suggested but the smartapp now gives me the same error when I try complete the last setup (even if I skip the completion section)

Any advice on what else I could do to get it working.

Did you follow these steps or others?

If you follow these steps, with the smartapp and the DTH of the links, it should work.

If you have access to smartthings labs and you use android, it has the official app rewritten.

I ended up commenting out another line since the simulator was giving errors.

I’m still not convinced it works correctly since my bulbs are not going to 100%

I don’t have access to that. It’s not available in Australia on Android

The smartapp original code limit máximum level to 99%

if (percentComplete > 99) {
percentComplete = 99
}
def updateDimmers(percentComplete) {
dimmers.each { dimmer →

def nextLevel = dynamicLevel(dimmer, percentComplete)

I use app every day to turn on a light at sunset with 5% to 75% level in 20 minutes and woks very well.

I’ll continue monitoring it. It ran from 9 percent to 83 percent today before it stopped in the most recent test.

I have it driven by a scene that my android alarm will trigger in the morning. So I guess I’ll see how well it wakes me up tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi all, I’m new to all things smart so was searching this feature. Found it in Menu - Labs - Gentle Wake Up.

Tested it and works fine but the transitions aren’t smooth, more like a step up in % brightness each time. The other thing it lacks is it doesn’t alter the temperature of the bulb which is a shame.

1 Like

I’m looking at modifying the code to set the default hue. Haven’t had the energy to dig this weekend.

But I also need to modify the smartapp that groups my lights to sync the hue since I’m driving three bulbs.