I recently installed my first z-wave dimmer switch (GE 12724) and I can control it with the app and with Echo but the status on the app (and IDE) stopped changing. When I try to turn it on in the app, it stays for a long time with the “Turning ON” message and then it returns to off status, even though the switch successfully turned on.
I had this issue right after the recent update. For some reason, things got back to normal after I rebooted the hub. Taking power and batteries out and let it sit offline for about an hour. Mayne I just got lucky, but it’s worth giving it a try.
That’s good to know. I will try excluding and re-pairing tonight when I get home. I no longer see the events for the physical on and off. What got me puzzled is that the switch still turns on and off with the app (or in the physical switch), just the status never updates.
Another strange thing is that yesterday I saw several entries of type DEVICE /physical when nobody was home. I don’t know if those entries caused the switch to stop updating the status.
I tried to exclude the device from the android app, and after I click delete I see “Exclusion Mode Active” but then then nothing happens. I tried double tapping the switch up and double tapping down and nothing happens. The app remains in “exclusion mode active”.
I had an issue with a GE switch after a power outage. I had previously done the reboot, battery-removal, have a beer, spin in a chair, and then wait for things to magically get better earlier in the day. For this instance, here is what I did:
Confirmed the switch wasn’t being activated in the application
Attempted exclude mode with the hub/app. It turns out there was nothing to exclude, as the switch after the electrical outage had somehow removed itself.
Put the hub in ‘connect new device’
Pressed the GE switch once back on…
It paired and has been working since.
Right now, I’d recommend force-killing the application and using the IDE to first do a z-wave repair (you can also use the IDE for exclusion of the app is being buggy). If that doesn’t work, try the steps above. You may not have to exclude and repairing may work. Good luck.
(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart)
I’m going to jump into this thread so as to not start another thread about the same thing.
I noticed today that some of my lights weren’t working like they were supposed to. To be precise, I have 3 GE Z-wave switches that control my front porch lights in 3 different groups (I have a lot of lights outside).
What happened is that I noticed that only 2 of the 3 groups were turning on when I was doing some testing in Rule Machine. (The app had nothing to do with this) I started checking things out and found that one of the switches was not responding. Unfortunately I was at work and on the road in 3 different states today.
When I got home I checked out the lights in the App. The one group of lights was not on when I got home and did not respond to my presence sensor arrival.
This is what I did:
1 - rebooted hub. This did not fix it.
2 - ran z-wave repair. This told me that I actually had 2 switches down.
3 - ran z-wave repair again… no joy.
4 - did a forum search. Read something about running the repair several times.
5 - ran z-wave repair again… x 10. I was really pissed about this time.
**** 1a - When the hub came back online it said it was “online and updating!” I thought oh crap! there goes everything working good!
6 - ran another forum search. Really started preparing myself to exclude the switches.
7 - took the switch out of all of the smart apps
8 - ran exclude on the switch.
9 - damn app removed the wrong damn switch! and deleted the smart apps!
9a - now I’m pissed
10 - finally got the damn switch gone.
11 - readded both switches.
12 - remade the smart apps.
13 - ran another z-wave repair. SUC-freakin-CESS!!!
14 - now I’m wondering what the hell that “update” was all about.
Oh, and where in the hell did the z-wave replace option go in the device preferences? Now there is only REMOVE… big step backwards!
I honestly have never seen the ‘replace’ option on my app. Whenever I’ve had an issue, I’ve always re-added the whole dang configuration. Based on what I’ve seen in terms of release management and testing, I feel better about doing a complete remove instead of ‘replace.’
The only step you forgot was the beer.
I have had a similar issue with a GE z-wave switch, and I just disconnected the power, waited a while, and re included it. For some reason I did not have to do the exclusion.
(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart)
Yeah it was there, I’ve used it a couple of times when changing plug in modules. I didn’t want to redo all of the apps so I just replaced the module… But the option is gone now.
I think I found the issue, it turned out to be a range issue. The switch is downstairs and the hub is upstairs. I brought the hub downstairs within ten feet from the switch and it updates the state correctly. If I take it upstairs then it does not update the state, but still turns on and off. Upstairs is not really that far, maybe 25 feet.
This is my only zwave device so not sure if the range improves as I add more.