Fortrezz WWA01AA - Moisture Sensor

Are you sure you used the device type code I linked to in my earlier post? Your screen does not correspond to the tiles layout in the linked code.

Whops, missed the link.

@Tyler & @duncan,
If the code at the above link provides full functionality for the device, why hasnā€™t ST updated it for the main devicetype for everyone?

i couldnā€™t get the temperature to work with any of the device options in this thread on my V2 hub. So i just gave up and live with wet/dry and battery.

I believe we found that to get temperature working properly we have to poll for it, which significantly reduces the battery life of the sensor.

We are planning to add a device preference for temperature reports so you can choose whether you want to take the battery hit for the extra data.

Nice option, thatā€™s a perfect way to do itā€¦

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s the case. Iā€™ve used these for years with a different hub and the battery lasts for a good year or so even with temperature reports.

you can adjust the wake up interval and have it report temp then.

http://www.fortrezz.com/index.php/faqs

ā€¦if the controller is set up to request the updated temperature reading when it receives the ā€˜wakeup notificationā€™ from the WWA01 / WWA01AA. In order to use the WWA01 / WWA01AA for reporting temperatures that change often, a short wakeup interval time is necessary (with the attendant reduction in battery life).

One would obviously kill the battery telling it to wake every 5 minutes- but if i recall the default is 4 hours. Thatā€™s good enough to tell me if my furnace is dead but still the battery will last a real long time.

PS- Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a much bigger deal but might be worth it in the long run to save much more time: rather than figuring out each particular tweak/device setting to include in each driver- perhaps it would be better to come up with a generic way for every z wave device where the user could look up the parameter and/or association they want in the user manual and then manually add it to the device somehow in via smarthings?

Something like a preferences page (maybe even only in the IDE)- where theres a box for parameter number and a box to enter the bits to send and a ā€œsendā€ button? A similar setting for associations. In a perfect world you could even include a ā€œreadā€ button to pull those values from the device so we would know what we were starting with.

Then you wouldnā€™t have to figure out how to incorporate wake up intervals for these things, dimmer ramp rates, load sensing on plug in modules, etc, etc

Maybe a possibility is a custom device type could just be made to do it? One would assign the custom device type to the device you want to change. Then it would have a place to enter the parameter, the value, and you would hit a send button. Then you could return the device type back to itā€™s normal one.

FWIW, I turned the temperature reporting on and have been using it for close to 9 months now on the same set of batteries and it is still running fine.

Mine seemed to quit after last firmware update, attaches to ST but no report of alarm anymore

Changed Device type to a generic zwave moisture sensor and work in bg again???

I know this is an old thread about an old device, but if anyone is still looking to get temperature and battery reports from the WWA01AA then I have a device handler that will work:

Thanksā€¦

What do we need to enter to get it to show up for Repo Updates properly?

Installed and works good.

I set interval to 1 min and turned all logs on, just to see how it responds, but only seems to report when triggered?

How does the short reporting interval impact battery life? I use one of these to monitor a laundry room on the cold side of a second house. Iā€™d love to have temperature reporting, but I need the battery to hold up for at least six months. (The battery life with the default DH and device settings is really impressive; I routinely get a year out of a battery.)

Iā€™ve been trying to figure out how to get my GitHub set up to allow integration this morning, but I keep getting errors in the ST IDE. Iā€™ll try to get that worked out, but for now copy and paste.

With it set to wake up every minute and log the temp every wake up, are you seeing a temp report every minute or so in the recently tab of the app? If so, thatā€™s about the best you can get with this device. The device itself doesnā€™t do anything when the temperature changes (unless it drops below itā€™s hard coded threshold for sending an alarm, which seems to be 40 F). The only way to get a temp report otherwise is to poll the device when it wakes up.

I just migrated to ST from Vera last month, so I donā€™t have enough of a track record with it to say. Vera by default polled temperature on these. I never really tracked battery life and Iā€™m not sure what kind of wake up interval was being used, but I wasnā€™t replacing batteries very frequently. Though with Vera these also just seemed to eventually fall off the network with no warning when the battery died.

Iā€™ve been running hourly temp reports for about a month now, plus sounding the alarm and periods of reporting every minute as I got the kinks worked out. I started with fresh batteries and both of mine are still running fine. The device only reports battery at 99% or 0%, so thereā€™s no telling how much Iā€™ve drained unless I put a meter on them.

You could always set a longer wake up interval. I think the default is either 4 or 8 hours, and the default DTH (Smartsense Moisture) polls for battery at every wake up. If you kept the same interval and polled for temperature instead, with battery either daily or weekly, Iā€™d think youā€™d get the same battery life. I definitely wouldnā€™t poll every minute except to play around to see how it works.

Since youā€™ve been paying attention to the battery on these, do you know how long it is between the battery reporting 0% and the device dying? Iā€™m currently only polling battery weekly on mine, so Iā€™m wondering if thatā€™s frequently enough.

I have it set at 5 mins for testing, but only reported once since the last trigger/test this morning, interval just not updatingā€¦ Looks like it has an interval of 4 hours, the interval in the app not taking effectā€¦

To be honest, Iā€™m happy with it reporting once a day. After about 18 months of no reporting, I finally triggered it and found the batts were dead. Using the standard device handler, you may think you are monitoring, but really never know. If it goes every 4 hours, greatā€¦ Just wanted to see the interval change, does the new settings only get transferred next time it talks to the hub, or do you need to pull batteries or reset it?

Glad to hear youā€™re at least getting temperature now!

It wonā€™t update the wake up interval until it wakes up again. The device is very sleepy - thereā€™s no way to send a command to wake it up. Pressing the button on it or popping the batteries should wake it up, but I usually just change the config and then let it transmit at the next wake up.

Did you change the wake up in the config before or after the 12:14 report? If after, check now as you might have snagged it around 4:20.

I set the interval about 8am, then set the alarm, so seems like its not taking interval updates.

Appreciate your work on this, was ready to toss the unitā€¦

I have it set to transmit the interval update only once each time the config is changed. If it failed that first time -and maybe triggering the alarm messed with it- it wonā€™t try again. Try going in to the config and hitting save. That should prompt it to try again the next time the device sends a wake up.