For a more complicated variation: Android Emulator "AndyRoid.net"

Spawning from the discussion from Running SmartThings in Chrome Browser:

For a variation on this theme, a more complex approach (but with certain advantages?) is to use one of the two or three Android emulation environments (BlueStacks, AndyRoid, ADK, ?).

I successfully installed AndyRroid 1 (it runs in an Oracle (Sun) VirtualBox as a virtual “Android Tablet”), and was able to install and run SmartThings from the Play Store.

If you need any help running AndyRoid, please feel welcome to contact me. There is also a support group on Facebook. I have some experience with VirtualBox, and I think that helped a little.

http://www.AndyRoid.net

1 Like

When they started running apps in the browser, I looked into that and it worked just fine for me. But, thank you so much for sharing as this gives me an alternate way if that should fail

1 Like

@tgauchat
Is this still what you use, or have you moved on to something else?
I just got turned on to BlueStacks (well…re-turned-on, I guess…it’d been a while). It seems to work fine for the most part, but I’m wondering if there is a better way.

My main problem is that, even though it allowed me to copy/paste between Windows and Android in the emulator at first, it no longer allows it. I’m hoping to find another similar solution that will take care of that particular issue.

Something else is…I’d also like to have something I can run in a VM in my ESXi box; not necessarily instead of, but in addition to the emulator on Windows.

1 Like

Blue Stacks is currently my choice too… Andy was too unstable.

I’ve never had Chrome browser based emulation work completely… Archon has some serious limitations that SmartThings crossed sometime?

The Andy concept via VM seems to be the most promising, at least until someone comes up with a really clever native JVM (and byte code compiler?) for all Android code…?

1 Like