Flo by Moen - isn't it supposed to "learn" (it doesn't seem to be)

Hello,

I’ve recently installed Flo by Moen for peace of mind - within a few hours of install, I got my first notification that unless I took active measures, the water would be shut off because of a potential problem. That potential problem was my daughter taking a shower. Apparently it didn’t like the rate of flow from the shower.

Later that first day, another instance, this time because of the duration of my wife’s shower which was longer than 2 minutes. Again, I managed to prevent water shut-off because I was near my phone when it happened.

I’ve since had the water stop during one of my own showers twice now and I’ve had it for just over a week.

What I’ve found strange is that there’s seemingly no way to have ANY control over these thresholds (2 minutes is the threshold for a long shower? Can I really not configure that?), but Flo also doesn’t seem to be learning - it’s just as aggressive as it was on day one with regards to identifying problems when people are showering or running the washing machine, etc.

I also adjusted the “sensitivity” slider (what seems to be the ONLY way I can control anything about what it deems a problem threshold), but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

Am I missing something obvious here? It sure seems overly sensitive, particularly without any ability to modify its settings, especially when it doesnt’ seem to be adapting to our habits. How long is this adaptation supposed to take?

I’m sure that’s very frustrating. :rage: This forum is for people using the Samsung SmartThings ™ home automation platform, so all of the questions and answers are assumed to be in that context. It is a very active forum, so it often comes up near the top in general home automation searches, but it is not a general home automation forum. Flo used to have a limited IFTTT integration that could be used with SmartThings, but they killed it about 6 months ago, so I’m afraid there won’t be many people who can help you here. :disappointed_relieved:

That said, the issue you describe with showers is quite common with that product, and your best bet is to contact Moen support.

If you’d like to see what forum members here have said about Flo back when there was an integration option, see the following thread, but again remember that all the questions and answers are within the context of the Samsung platform:

Has anyone tried Flo or can recommend any other smart water leak detection system?

If you’d like additional independent resources you can also try the Reddit home automation subforum, which is brand-agnostic:

1 Like

D’oh - sorry, indeed I found a few Flo by Moen posts here so figured it was all things home automation. My apologies. I’ll reach out to Moen support from here!

1 Like