Has anyone tried Flo or can recommend any other smart water leak detection system?

I’ve been looking into Flo’s website for a while (www.meetflo.com) and their product looks impressive. While I do know that what they are promising (some sort of AI) is possible would be good to hear from someone who had actual experience with it.

I don’t believe it integrates with SmartThings but I thought it was worth asking if anyone here is using it.
If not, can you recommend something similar?

I spent hours looking for something that can measure water pressure and flow in an attempt to hook it together myself until I found this device. I have to assume there is a competitor there somewhere.

While I like the idea of having a “smart valve” that can shut the water off based on a sensor placed somewhere, it won’t help me with a pipe leaking inside a bathroom wall for example. And if this bathroom is on my second floor… oh boy.

Hi @ebrito,

If you are in the US, you can use this Dome Leak detector. It is Z-wave.

https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Automation-Wireless-Resistant-DMWS1/dp/B01LXR0B8Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1531409545&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=dome&psc=1&smid=A3K8TV1GBWR1F1

FYI, Dome makes Smart Z-wave Valve controller:
https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Automation-Water-Shut-Off-Valve/dp/B01LX3JFR8/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_0_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LX3JFR8&pd_rd_r=MZBWSW8JBPX1FBHEFDQ7&pd_rd_w=v1QE9&pd_rd_wg=d9Joe&psc=1&refRID=MZBWSW8JBPX1FBHEFDQ7

In order to be more effective, you need to have the electronic valve coupled with something like this:

https://www.fortrezz.com/flow-meter/

There are a couple cheaper versions that clip on to the pipe, but they really haven’t come to fruition yet (these do more of flow analysis through sound vs. the above which physically measures the flow.)

(Kevin) #4

Flo doesn’t integrate with SmartThings yet, but it still has a lot of useful features.

It will shut your water off automatically if you’re using a lot more water than normal and it runs a test nightly that checks for leaks and sends you an email if it detects a problem and then another email when the problem is resolved.

I was skeptical, but I turned my faucet on so it was occasionally dripping and manually ran the test and it came back saying there was a small leak.

You can set it to away mode if your not going to be home for a while so I did that and then turned on my faucet all the way and it detected it as a major leak after a few minutes. It automatically turned the water off, sent me an email, and called me.

One time while it was set to Home mode I was doing dishes and laundry and it detected high than normal flow per minute so it sent me a notification about it and said if I didn’t take action within 5 minutes it would shut the water off. I didn’t take action, but the flow went back down within the 5 minutes so it sent me another notification saying things were back to normal.

It keeps a 2 week history of your water usage and sends you a weekly email about it.

There’s a paid feature called Home Protect which breaks down your water usage per appliance. I did the free one month trial and it spent 2 weeks learning, but then it was able to reliably detect toilet flushes and showers.

I believe they have an integration with Alexa that allows you to ask it information about your water usage, but I haven’t tried it.