Fire Tablet Setup Script for ActionTiles [BETA UPDATE 12-4-18]

aron7676 I am running the script on a brand new 8th gen HD8. There are tons of failures and after the first go through I do have Google Chrome on the system but all of the side loaded apps look to fail (LANNouncer etc.)
“enabling sideloading apps”
“the syntax of the command is incorrect”

Also, at the initial running of the script it asked which generation I have, it only goes to 7, and I have an 8… does this not work for Gen 8? (I have the updated script FireUtility.bat with date 12/6/2018

Kurt,
Beta script is still being worked on in my not so ample free time.

If it installed play store you should be able to get the extra apps that way.

Thank you Aron7676! This is all much appreciated

this utility is not installing the google play services, says its missing

Beta version?

yes, but i just downloaded the latest services and inserted into the apps folder and it worked

@aron7676 I am trying to use the script on Fire 7 (5th edition) and I am getting “Failure [DELETE_FAILED_INTERNAL_ERROR]” on many of the processes I have tried.

Removing ads:

Removing preloaded apps (this is a continual scrolling of may errors):

I can paste more, but its all the same. Any ideas?

I ran into a problem Fire tablet running fire OS 5.6.0.0. fails to install Google Play services. Tried the Beta and prior version. The rest of the script except other programs option 8 ran ok.

Any suggestions I need Lannaounce and it will not load .

I had the same problem, i downloaded the most recent services apk and renamed it to “GPServices-7gen-3.apk” and put it in the apps folder. its a work around. looks like a broken link to the apk in the script but this will do the same thing.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-11-5-09-release/google-play-services-11-5-09-240-164803921-android-apk-download/

Thanks that link and renaming the file got the Google Play Services installed. Now the last issue I’m having is loading Lannouncer. I go to the keybouce.com site and follow the link to the play store it show the program is not combatable with the fire tablet. I also tried to download the APK and the file will not install. Any ideas?

1 Like

I have loaded the file to the Apps folder in the *.bat folder. It is not working/loading? Any ideas? It still just closes without doing anything.

Are you using the BETA version

Hey @arnb, I’m getting this same error message on three separate Fire 10 tablets (one using Fully downloaded from Google Play store, other two fresh out of box with nothing but Fire-specific Fully download from their website). All three have paid PLUS licenses.

The error happens all, the, time on all 3 tablets. I don’t use any of them for anything other than Actiontiles and have no other user apps running. Two are wall mounted with one within a picture frame and the other just flush mounted with 1mm low profile 3D printed mounts. The third sits popped up on a desk with pretty of airflow.

I reached out to the Fully dev but he just said no one else is having a problem and no idea what the error is (beyond suggesting something is overheating, which I don’t believe to be the case). Pretty frustrating.

Any way I can look to see if another app is trying to use the camera or some other way to diagnose what’s cauy this error?

On my Fire HD 8 (likely similar on you 10s)

1. Settings
  2. Apps & Games
  3. Manage All Applications
  4. Visually check each active app’s permissions for “take pictures and videos”.
    The device’s Camera app will have this permission but should not be active

Will this work with the 8th Gen HD 8s? I mean the beta script to get everything set up? I realize it won’t delete the amazon bloat but will the other items work?

No, I was using the “Edited Fire Utility.zip” in the first post.

Use the beta version and see above post about google play services unless the OP has fixed the link

I’d love to try and get the ‘full’ script working by using a tablet running 5.3
I found this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/504372/fire-7-tablet-with-alexa---black
It says Fire OS 5.3.3 but … is that the same as the one sold directly by amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-7-Tablet/dp/B01GEW27DA?

I don’t want to drop the $ and find out it comes with a newer OS that I can’t fully nuke like the older ones can…

This may be due to the version requirements of LANnouncer. I have updated @aron7676 utility to pull the correct version file. I am able to load the LANnouncer 9.9.11 using the utility. There were some formatting issues in the Beta version that I fixed.

For reference @aron7676 I fixed the format lines for “:OP8”. There seems to be an issue with the “if” statement and how the variable was called to validate the “y” choice.

for example it was set to this:

if %LANnouncer% == y( 
echo [*-*] Installing LANnouncer.
Call :Download LANnouncer.apk "https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xazouiy2cef2f2/LANnouncer.apk?dl=1"
adb\adb.exe install apps/LANnouncer.apk
)

The cmd wasn’t passing the validated “y” and crashing. I changed the format to now look like this:

if %LANnouncer%==y (
echo [*-*] Installing LANnouncer.
Call :Download LANnouncer.apk "https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xazouiy2cef2f2/LANnouncer.apk?dl=1"
adb\adb.exe install apps/LANnouncer.apk
)

Best practice is to group your variable with the validation “==” unless you are using a quote around the variable depending on input.

I also commented out the sideloading command for this section, I am not sure if its actually needed, please correct me if I am wrong:

::echo enabling sideloading apps...
::adb\adb.exe shell settings put secure install_non_market_apps 1