Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)

Is anyone else having issues with their RGBW controllers?

Mine seem to either be slow to respond or do not react when they should. Im using them with CoRE so an update within CoRE could be the culprit.

For instance, I have a RGBW controller that is connected to a strip of lights on my headboard that is activated with motion (as ambient light or a nightlight for when kids wake up). It is also setup to flash red and blue if a perimeter contact sensor opens between X and Y times.

The other night, I was up late and when I headed to bed, I checked on my son (triggered his motion detector) then walked into my room (within 30 sec, triggering my motion), the RGBW light came on, dimmed to 10, color red. After 30 seconds it was supposed to go off, but it didnt. It received the command from CoRE to obviously start the Piston, but it never completed the last step.

Other instances of failure are as follows:
-Kitchen cabinet lights will follow the CoRE pistons and dim as it gets closer to bedtime, but at the predefined time they are supposed to go off, they SOMETIMES dont.
-MBR motion triggers the light on, but after motion is stopped, they sometimes dont turn off

@ady624: Tagging you because CoRE.

@Turb02 I have an issue yes; mine is that I set my level to 99 last night and the level seems to slowly drop; its down to 13% now so I had to increase it again 30 minutes ago, now its down to 97% already :confused:

I set the colour to green and haven’t selected a fade option, do i need to reset something?

No clue. Im still having the issue. Are you using CoRE? If so, it may be something with CoRE and its interaction with the Fibaro device, but thats far fetched because it triggers mine. Its the completion of the rule that doesnt appear to be happening.

Just last night, my cabinet lights didnt go off and I had to bark at Alexa to turn them off. (woe is me, right?)

Trouble trying to get a toggle switch to work this Fibaro RGBW Controller. The controller works fine within the app controlling my kitchen led strip but i would like to run some wires to the physical switch to use manually. Would a toggle switch work? do i need to edit the device handler and how? i connected the toggle switch to IN1 and IN2, with a third wire going to ground, but no joy.

You can refer to this post for more info on accomplishing what you want to do.

Basically you need to set parameter 14 to 21845 and connect a switch to IN1 and GND.

The command would be:

zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(scaledConfigurationValue: 21845, parameterNumber: 14, size: 2).format()

I’m not sure which handler you are using so I can’t tell you exactly where to put that line of code. You could put it in the configure() method and then press the “CONFIGURE” tile on the device (if it has one).

2 Likes

Thanks for the swift reply Eric, I’ve been using all 3 of the device handlers I’ve found, but editing the code is completely beyond my realm of understanding unfortunately. Its a shame there isn’t a device handler yet that enables easy configuration, like there is for the Fibaro Dimmer 2.

Hi,

iI really like the STORM function on the app but is it possible to have the same effect but red? I would like to use it for halloween!

If someone code help with the code?

Thanks

Dale

It is a canned animation in the controller and can’t be modified. I wish the color for the fireplace could be changed because mine has a green tint.

Fibaro would have to do a firmware update which is unlikely even if SmartThings could do an over the air (OTA) update.

@dthomp13 If you are interested in a device that has fully customizable programs there is the SmartLife RGBW controller. You can one for around $10 from various retailers.

1 Like

@erocm1231 I’ve been following your great work and have the parts on my shelf waiting for time to work on it.

Are you able to change the color of the Fireplace animation?

Yep. The programs are completely customizable. For a fireplace like animation I would probably choose 3 actions:

1. Red, Fade Transition, Random time between 1000 - 3000ms
  2. Purple, Fade Transition, Random time between 1000 - 3000ms
  3. Green, Fade Transition, Random time between 1000 - 3000ms

Then configure the program to repeat forever. Anyway, so this thread doesn’t completely go off topic, come over and post in the H801 thread if you have any more questions. I just see the users of this thread post so frequently that they would like to customize the built-in Fibaro programs that I wanted to suggest an alternative.

3 Likes

I need some very basic help with these controllers please.

I have 2 Fibaro RGBW controller devices configured and individually both work, however I am trying to configure Smart lighting to turn both on at the same colour. What happens though is that although they turn on, the colour is turned down to 0 hence they look like they are off. What am I doing wrong?

Also I see all of the options in offered in the device handler for Police Lights etc…how do I access these, they are not listed as options in either the devices or through Smart Lighting.

Thank you
COlin

The Fibaro RGBW Controller is a VERY strange device. I’ve used all the available device handlers for this module, and it’s been very frustrating. The problems I’ve had are, like yours, turning on faded right down, or 20%, turning on and randomly changing colour (so when it’s red my house looks like a brothel), either the On or Off tile not registering in the app, not being able to easily configure the parameters settings within the app, too many to mention.
The solution that is working for me is this device handler…

And to be doubly sure I’ve used a CoRe piston to when turned on go to full brightness, it’s been a week, with three Fibaro’s and no problems.

1 Like

@Alwas Thank you, that device handler allows me to set colours with through SmartLighting which was the main requirement. Still none of the functions such as Police work for me though…

1 Like

Interesting that it is working well for this device. Changing the programs to work with the Fibaro wouldn’t be that difficult especially since they are already included in another handler. You could then use the Virtual Device Sync App to create virtual switches for each program (So that you can use these programs in automations).

Edit: If you want, try this version to see if the Fibaro programs (police etc.) work:

Hi all, I’m writing an updated device handler for the Fibaro RGBW Controller to support using the four channels in IN/OUT mode. It’s going well, but I’ve noticed that my device doesn’t appear to obey the dimmingDuration parameter when issuing switchMultilevelSet() commands. (However I can see dimmingDuration being used in @twack’s device handler).

My conclusion is that it only supports COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL V1 and not any of the later versions. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Update: I’ve noticed it’s possible to control the dimming duration by altering the device parameters (8/9/10/11), which adds to my suspicions that it can’t be done via switchMultilevelSet() commands.

@zcapr17 all I can say is good luck, and if you can please add the physical switch parameters in there if it’s possible!

Might be worth joining the Fibaro forum and asking on there.

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have just tested the updated handler and everything except the police lights works.

I have not looked at the virtual device switch yet, is this how I will be able to syncronise more than one controller to use the same effect?

Thanks
Colin

If you want to control/synchronise more than one controller then you can group them using this smart app.

You set up a new device type for the group you want to control (A virtual RGBW Controller), change the device type to Fibaro RGBW Controller. Then in the Group RGBW smartapp set the virtual device you just created to control the other RGBW controllers you wish to group.

1 Like