Fibaro RGBW Controller - Added to ST, powers on/off and dims. Color control?

I just purchased the Fibaro RGBW controller along with a RGBW light strip. I was able to get everything hooked up and SmartThings found it right away as a dimmer switch. I’m able to turn it on and off as well as dim it correctly. What are the next steps to be able to control the color with this unit?

Thanks!

One of us needs to write a device driver for it.

Here is a start:

@beckwith - thank you! It works, color control is funky but it’s way more than it was doing before. I’d like color control with the wheel and I was looking at the Hue code but I’m fairly sure the hue code involves the hue bridge vs. just talking to the device directly. I know nothing but I’m going to play with it and see what I can do.

Thanks again!

1 Like

It was all @drandyhaas effort.

I’d be willing to throw a few bucks someones way if they can put this together. Getting the color control wheel tile integrated is one thing but making it actually talk to the controller is another. It looks like combining the devicetype of the ZipatoRGBW bulb + the tiles and control of the Hue would do it. Alas I’m not knowledgable enough to put them together.

The Hue uses a ZigBee color control, not Z-Wave. However, it works even if you don’t bridge to the Hue hub. So the Hue device type is no different than the Zipato as far as this is concerned.

However, the little time I investigated, it didn’t look like a straightforward port to take the hue color wheel and make it Z-Wave.

1 Like

@technologiq

Check out the latest Fibaro RGBW controller:

I’ve had my Smartthings controller for quite a while, although I haven’t had to do anything out of the ordinary, until now. How exactly do I go about copy and pasting the code in the text file? I don’t see an option to add a device by pointing it at a location, could you help me out with a small explanation as to what i need to do? I would appreciate it much! Thanks

@Peabods

It isn’t difficult, just a few steps. You need to go into the IDE, create a new device type, copy Todd’s code, paste it in yours and install. It should pick up this device when you pair.

If you are still having problems let me know and I’ll see if I can reference a thread with more step by step details.

@Peabods
Since you are likely looking for a bit more details I will give it a try. You need to login to the site below using the credentials you setup when you initially setup your hub. Once you login you can go to the “My Device Handlers” at the top and then on that page near the top on the far right you will see a button labeled “Create New Device Handler”. Once you click on that you will need to click on the “From Code” tab and copy the code from the Github site where the code is (see the original post in the link provided by @beckwith) and paste it in the box and click “Create” at the bottom. After you create the device handler then you need to go into the details for that device handler (it should put you there after you create it but if not you can go back to the “My Device Handlers” page and click on the handler you want to look at) and click the “Publish” button near the top. When you click on Publish a drop-down will show up and you will click “For Me”.

https://graph.api.smartthings.com

Once that is done then you can follow the steps above and pair the device with your hub and it will pick it up, if you have already paired the device the recommendation is to remove it from smartthings following the device exclusion process and re-pair it.

1 Like