Fibaro RGBW Controller (DTH link in post 32, police light smartapp link in post 79)

It is a canned animation in the controller and can’t be modified. I wish the color for the fireplace could be changed because mine has a green tint.

Fibaro would have to do a firmware update which is unlikely even if SmartThings could do an over the air (OTA) update.

@dthomp13 If you are interested in a device that has fully customizable programs there is the SmartLife RGBW controller. You can one for around $10 from various retailers.

1 Like

@erocm1231 I’ve been following your great work and have the parts on my shelf waiting for time to work on it.

Are you able to change the color of the Fireplace animation?

Yep. The programs are completely customizable. For a fireplace like animation I would probably choose 3 actions:

1. Red, Fade Transition, Random time between 1000 - 3000ms
  2. Purple, Fade Transition, Random time between 1000 - 3000ms
  3. Green, Fade Transition, Random time between 1000 - 3000ms

Then configure the program to repeat forever. Anyway, so this thread doesn’t completely go off topic, come over and post in the H801 thread if you have any more questions. I just see the users of this thread post so frequently that they would like to customize the built-in Fibaro programs that I wanted to suggest an alternative.

3 Likes

I need some very basic help with these controllers please.

I have 2 Fibaro RGBW controller devices configured and individually both work, however I am trying to configure Smart lighting to turn both on at the same colour. What happens though is that although they turn on, the colour is turned down to 0 hence they look like they are off. What am I doing wrong?

Also I see all of the options in offered in the device handler for Police Lights etc…how do I access these, they are not listed as options in either the devices or through Smart Lighting.

Thank you
COlin

The Fibaro RGBW Controller is a VERY strange device. I’ve used all the available device handlers for this module, and it’s been very frustrating. The problems I’ve had are, like yours, turning on faded right down, or 20%, turning on and randomly changing colour (so when it’s red my house looks like a brothel), either the On or Off tile not registering in the app, not being able to easily configure the parameters settings within the app, too many to mention.
The solution that is working for me is this device handler…

And to be doubly sure I’ve used a CoRe piston to when turned on go to full brightness, it’s been a week, with three Fibaro’s and no problems.

1 Like

@Alwas Thank you, that device handler allows me to set colours with through SmartLighting which was the main requirement. Still none of the functions such as Police work for me though…

1 Like

Interesting that it is working well for this device. Changing the programs to work with the Fibaro wouldn’t be that difficult especially since they are already included in another handler. You could then use the Virtual Device Sync App to create virtual switches for each program (So that you can use these programs in automations).

Edit: If you want, try this version to see if the Fibaro programs (police etc.) work:

Hi all, I’m writing an updated device handler for the Fibaro RGBW Controller to support using the four channels in IN/OUT mode. It’s going well, but I’ve noticed that my device doesn’t appear to obey the dimmingDuration parameter when issuing switchMultilevelSet() commands. (However I can see dimmingDuration being used in @twack’s device handler).

My conclusion is that it only supports COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL V1 and not any of the later versions. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Update: I’ve noticed it’s possible to control the dimming duration by altering the device parameters (8/9/10/11), which adds to my suspicions that it can’t be done via switchMultilevelSet() commands.

@zcapr17 all I can say is good luck, and if you can please add the physical switch parameters in there if it’s possible!

Might be worth joining the Fibaro forum and asking on there.

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have just tested the updated handler and everything except the police lights works.

I have not looked at the virtual device switch yet, is this how I will be able to syncronise more than one controller to use the same effect?

Thanks
Colin

If you want to control/synchronise more than one controller then you can group them using this smart app.

You set up a new device type for the group you want to control (A virtual RGBW Controller), change the device type to Fibaro RGBW Controller. Then in the Group RGBW smartapp set the virtual device you just created to control the other RGBW controllers you wish to group.

1 Like

Yeah, the police lights should be fixed now. If you go the virtual switch route, you could have all of your controllers kick off the same program with any automation that can control switches. For example, you could use Smart Lighting to turn on all of the “Police” switches if a motion sensor is tripped.

[UPDATE] - Dedicated thread for my device handler is here.

Done! After battling with some annoying bugs in both the SmartThings API and the Fibaro firmware, I am pleased to announce the first release of my own ‘advanced’ Fibaro RGBW device handler. Key features are:

• Physical device parameters can be edited from the SmartThings GUI, and verified in the IDE Log.
  • Support for using the channels in a mixture of IN/OUT modes (i.e. support for analog input sensors)!
  • No more glitches (as sending commands and receiving reports is done properly!) :wink:
  • “Energy Meter”, “Power Meter”, and “Polling” capabilities fully implemented.
  • Level attributes and sliders now have a have range of 0-100%, instead of 0-99%.
  • Channels can be mapped to different colours without needing to physically rewire the device.
  • Improved compliance with the ‘Color Control’ capability definition, as discussed here.

[Update] You can now edit the Association Group members from the GUI too.

The code, instructions, and examples can all be found here:

All feedback greatly received.

Some screenshots:

11 Likes

Just to let others know, the best and ONLY serious DH for the Fibaro RGBW Controller is the one 2 posts up, it’s been a very very long road of struggle, near misses, and frustration with this module, but finally it has the DH it deserves. It just works flawlessly, fast, snappy, all the parameters available to edit within the app, I also finally have it controlled by a physical switch. No weird behaviour like colours randomly changing by themselves. Very happy.

3 Likes

I have tried your DTH for the Fibaro RGBW. I created a new Fibaro RGBW device type uising your code on GitHub and then switched my Fibaro to your handler in the IDE. I open the app on my phone, open the device and go to settings. There it has a bunch of fields in red that need to be filled in. I enter all of the default values as you noted. But when I get to the bottom of the list I see Association Groups. I have no idea what those are or what should be entered in them. They don’t seem to be required so I left them blank. When I hit Done the app says “Please fill out all required fields.” I’ve triple check and have every required field input. Any suggestions?

This is a perennial problem with the Android app. It doesn’t populate the default values properly. :tired_face:

You need to clear and re-enter all the settings (even the ones that look like they have a value). It’s a pain, I recommend you complain to SmartThings support about it. If that doesn’t work, try setting all the values from the IDE instead.

You are right that the Association Groups are not required and can be left blank.

1 Like

Hello, am planning on getting my SmartThings hub during this week, I am fairly new to home automation and would like to know what I need to control my existing 10m LED strip with the SmartThings app, am sorry but am really confused and need some step by step help to setup my LED strip will link my LED strip.

LED strip:

Hi, I’m really new to all of this, not much of a coder. Thanks a ton for making this device code, it gives a ton more control.

I’m having trouble getting in installed though. I copied and published the code, and changed the device’s type to match. When I look at in the app I get your GUI. But when I go into the settings on the app, I run into trouble. I set all the setting to the default values, but when I get “done”, it pops up and says “Please fill out all required fields”. I’ve set everything though. Any idea what’s going on here?

I’m on Android if that matters, and here are the live logs from when I was editing it: