Fibaro dimmer 2 and 2D compact lamp?

Hi,

I have a standard single one way toggle switch that controls an external light. The external light is a 16w 2D Compact Fluorescent (4 pin) lamp much like -

At the back of the light switch, I believe it’s 3 wire system Setup as a loop at light switch. So have 3 sets of wires (each set with live, neutral n earth), one from previous light, the next light and to the switch itself. The switch itself has a N loop point for the neutrals.

Anyways, I’m interested in getting a Zwave light module to control this single one way light switch.
Was looking at the new fibaro dimmer module below (FIBEFGD-212)
http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fibaro-universal-dimmer-2-250w

Question is, does anyone know if this module would be suitable for my setup as described I.e the external 16w 2D Compact Fluorescent lamp?
Btw I dont need dimming, just happy for it to be on/off via the existing toggle switch.
Just concerned if there would be any comptiability issues with compact fluorescent lamps etc?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Hung

Thanks Robin!

Was initially planning on the single switch relay…but realised the dimmer2 could potentially be more Flexiable if required at a later date.

What’s the story with this bypass? When is this required? And what’s it’s purpose?

With regards to device handlers n smart apps…can you direct me to the latest n greatest handler for the dimmer2?

Thanks again…
Hung

Thanks Robin…

Will it do any damage if you don’t have such bypass module? So you saying it’s a side effect of CF lights? Such that they still appear to be partially on when switched off?

Does one wire the dimmer module any differently when adding such a bypass module?
Can you wire the bypass module behind the switch like you do with the dimmer module?

Like the idea of the scene functionality. I assume one quickly switches off and on to trigger this second switch in order to activate the configured scene? Something along those lines?? Pressume all the scene association is done via the smart app?

Thanks
Hung

Thanks for that information! I’m afraid I didn’t follow the details of the bypass? :frowning:
Attached is some pictures showing our typical setup behind the switch. I understand the wiring is looped at the switch via the N Loop & Com connections on the switch. Based upon your wiring diagram, I’m trying to figure out how this translates to my setup on this toggle switch?

Can you or anyone else help give this a look to advise I’m on this correct track in wiring?
I’ve also detailed the bypass module, which I’ve wired behind the toggle switch, again hope someone can confirm this looks correct?

Also, based on the backbox shown. Can you advise that the dimmer module will fit along with the bypass module??

I had planned to utilise some wago connector plugs to loop the neutrals and likewise the lives together. So presume my switch will only now have L1 and COM connections whilst NLoop will be left blank.

Appreciate any feedback on all this? Hoping I’ve got the illustrated wiring correct for this Fibaro dimmer on my given setup?

Cheers,
Hung

Robin,

One last thing I forgot to ask…in order to run the bypass module over the relevant live and neutral wires. How’s does one identify which of the live and neutral set of wires that runs to the lamp?

Base on the picture of the wiring behind the switch…I assume I would be right to say that the brown wire that’s currently connected to L1 would be regarded as the live that runs to the Lamp (load wire), and therefore be connected to the output terminal of the dimmer module?

I assume to identify the corresponding neutral, I would just do a continuity test between the above live and each of the 3 neutrals? Once Ive got a complete circuit then I know I’ve got the correct neutral pair to that live…allowing me to then install the bypass over this neutral and live pair.

Hung

Thanks for your sound advice on this stuff!
I just need to buy the bits now and get cracking :wink:

Just out of interest, I have a light fixture that’s got 8 x g9 halogen bulbs rated at 40w per bulb. So giving a max rating of 320w which is well over the spec of the dimmer module.

However, If I was to just swap out all the bulbs for 28w that would give a total of 224w.
I assume in this case I would be fine and safe to wire and use this type of dimmer module without issue? Stupid question but just wanna check :slight_smile:

Hung

Cheers Robin…
I think the leds in these size were either very large, expensive and not very bright at the time we looked…?

But will certainly check again. I guess the bypass will be mandatory for any led setup.

Thanks!

Hi,

Update…
Got all the parts and successfully wired everything up as per the diagram.
Have a 1 gang 1 way toggle switch wired up. Also managed to get scene activation working via 2x click action. All good!

However, I’m interested in having a 2 gang setup. Such that the first switch will behave as is (control the lamp) and the second switch will do various scene activations to trigger other actions on table lamps etc I.e. Switch 2 - on, off and 2x click. And the first switch will control the
I have a 2 gang 2 way switch, but wanted to check how to wire appropriately?

The 2 gang 2 way as follows
Switch1 - Com L1 L2
Switch2 - Com L1 L2

So do I connect Fibaro Dimmer as follows
Switch1 Com to Dimmer SX; and Dimmer S1 to Switch1 L1
Switch2 L1 to Dimmer S2

Advice please?

Thanks will give it a try on the 2 gang 2 way.

The hager switches I have only appear to do single rectractive ones.
No double retractive or 3 position retractive.

Btw do I need to config any additional parameters other than setting up as toggle switch and scene activation?

Thanks, all working perfectly!
You know if one can run routines for these scenes? Or integrate with core.

Would be handy to have a certain click event (2x or 3x) to correspond to certain routines depending on the time of day or certain other parameters?
Figured if you could invoke something in core, and let core assess things to determine what routines or actions to run, or even run things in certain order.

Hung

Ah magic! So that means no need to use the Fibaro smart app for scenes then…
Just define a core piston to track the scene attribute and do stuff after it! Brilliant…

Thanks Robin

1 Like

Finally managed to around to fitting things with the CFL external bulkhead light…it just fits but tight!? Is there any concerns on this tight install i.e. Heat / ventilation for the module?

I used the wagos for a quick clip on install, but could have got away without using any. So having second thoughts if this is a bad install for the module?

Any thoughts? This is a standard 35mm box in a new build setup.

All is working fine so far…didn’t need the bypass module.
There is no dimming capability with the 16w CFL, so should I set parameter 32 on/off mode to be on?

Cheers,
Hung

Noticed a over current fault? Is this a concern? Seems alrite as it restarted itself…so just cleared it.
Just wondered if it’s due to the CFL setup?
Should I config the softstart param 34 from default 1 to 2 I.e long soft start?

Also the CFL is suppose to be 16w bulb, but only report 12.3w?

Any suggestions on all this?

Using the advance handler that you suggested last time.

Do I need to do aparameter 13 force auto calibration - value 1 without bypass module? Thought the initial power up would have auto calibrated things?

Not had any further repeat over current issues yet?

Here’s the thing, I set param 13 to 1. Once I hit done it goes through the calibration as it turns the light off etc.
But param 13 never gets set back to 0?

When I got back to the config, param 13 never gets set back to 0, suggesting it couldn’t complete?
When I view param 2, it just remains at the default of 99. When I view the param 2 value via the IDE under devices, the param 1/2 values are both empty.

Thanks Robin!

Just to be clear, after any auto calibration, does the default values shown in the smart app configuration for parameters 1 and 2 reflect the auto calibrated values?

Currently it states param 1 as 1 (min brightness level) and param 2 as 99 (max brightness level). But in ide both are blank.

I’ll try and do another auto calibrate tonight and keep an eye on the ide logs.
I have the ide logging level set to info. And device logging level set to warning. Hope these are ok to capture the relevant auto cal values in Ide?

Always thought param 13 is suppose to switch back to 0 after the auto calibrate completes. So you know all was well.

Cheers,
Hung

Thanks Robin
Have set param1 to 10 and param2 to 99.
Should I copy all the other Params as well? Or just fine to set param 1&2 only.

Strange thing is certain params don’t exist when in the configuration/preference screen. You see in the IDE it mentions these params with a value but are missing in the preferences??
I.e. Param 33, param 31, param 14

What’s that all about?

They’re Read-Only parameters (which is non-standard, but something Fibaro have chosen to do for this device).

Hi,

I came some strange behaviour with regards to the calibration process and wondered if someone could advise?

I’ve recently installed fibaro dimmers on 2 external bulkhead lights running CFL compact lamps (Light A and Light B). The light fixtures are both identical…supposedly…
Everything appears to work, but have come across some inconsistent behaviour with regards to the calibration process between the 2 fixtures.

1. I recently ran a few calibrations on light A. Initially it reported
    Param1 (min brightness) = 8
    Param2 (max brightness)= 47
    i.e. See Logs “Light A - Calibration1”.jpg

2. I re-ran the process again on Light A. This time it reported
    Param1 (min brightness) = 10
    Param2 (max brightness)= 99
    i.e. See Logs “Light A - Calibration2”.jpg

As you can see the reported values are considerably different? When I first installed Light A a few weeks ago I recall the calibrated values were like (2) i.e. Param1=10 and Param2=99.
So have used these figures without issue, but strange as to why its decided to give me different calibration values all of a sudden?
Any ideas on this one?

1. I installed a 2nd fibaro dimmer on the other bulkhead light today (Light B).
    When I performed the calibrations it reported yet different values again? This time I got
    Param1 (min brightness) = 7
    Param2 (max brightness)= 42
    i.e. See Logs “Light B - Calibration and PowerDrop”.jpg

Sure enough I ended up following those Param values and configured them in the preferences.
No faults or anything. The power ran up to 12.3w for Light B. Compare this to Light A it was around 12w. What I don’t understand is why it suddenly dropped power to 11w after running for about 8mins? 40mins in now and it still remains at 11w for Light B.

As I said, the lights seem to work. But just noticed some slight differences in behaviour regarding the calibrated values and the difference in power output (include the slight drop). Just would have expected the same output for both lights.
Any ideas why this occurs? Or does this suggest an issue with my setup?

Thanks,
Hung