Fibaro dimmer 2 with toggle light switch

(Fred) #1

Hi all, can I just check that if I install a Fibaro dimmer 2 behind a standard toggle light switch and then pair the dimmer up to my ST hub, will I be able to control dimming of the lights via ST? I know that in order to control dimming from the physical switch I’d need a retractive or momentary type switch but I’m not too fussed about that for now and happy to just have dimming control via the ST app. Would appreciate confirmation from anyone who has it working in this setup - hopefully it can be done!

Thanks.

(Robin) #2

Yes… You will be able to dim from the app but not the switch.

(Robin) #3

Also, you will need to change parameter 20 to ‘1’ as the Dimmer 2’s defult to momentary switch (setting 0).

Let me know if you’re not sure how to do this.

(Fred) #4

Cool! Many thanks for confirming! I still need to get the dimmer 2 wired into the back of the switch but I will come back if I can’t figure out the parameter change.

While we’re on the topic, which is the best place for me to look for find instructions on setting up a Fibaro dimmer 2 with ST and adjusting parameters?

(Robin) #5

I posted / linked to some info about device handler setup here:

To help me give you some wiring guidance, what country are you in?

Do you have neutral wires behind your switches?

(Fred) #6

Thanks @robinwinbourne I am in the UK and neutral is not present at the switch unfortunately. I had a look last weekend…

(Robin) #7

Dimmer 2’s are pretty much your only option then (same as me)… Vesternet have a few other options but info on device handlers for ST is scarse.

Fibaro’s are great anyway… I wouldn’t use anything else now, even if I had a choice.

(Fred) #8

Great yes I will go with the dimmer 2. I will have a look at your linked post above and see if I can start to setup the device handler…thanks for your help, makes it so worthwhile going with ST over other hubs when you have such a helpful community! :slight_smile:

(Fred) #9

@robinwinbourne I’ve been reading through the faq and all the stuff on smartapps and device handlers and its really useful! So good to understand things from scratch.

A couple of questions I have:

1. Can I setup the custom device handler for the Fibaro dimmer 2 in advance of the dimmer actually being installed? I just want to have it ready.

2. Exactly which part of the dimmer 2 code do I need to change parameter 20 to ‘1’? I see a couple of places where it could be so just wanting to confirm…

Cheers!

(Robin) #10
  1. Yes… Install away. Once you have linked ST to the actual device, all you have to do is log into the IDE, go to devices, select your device and change type to the new DH installed previously. This one DH can be assigned to as many dimmer 2 modules as you want.

2. You don’t need to change any code… Just copy and paste (or use GitHub integration). Once the DH is assigned to a device you will see all the parameter options under the device settings

(Robin) #11

(Feb 2018) Edit… things have moved on and this is now the best DTH lol:

Original Post:

To be sure… This is currently the best DH as it allows use of 2x, 3x clicks etc. for scene control.

Each dimmer can connect to 2 switches, only one controls the load, both can send scene ID’s.

(Fred) #12

Ahh cool great stuff. I will go ahead and set it up.

How do I read that table for toggle switches? What are the S1 and S2 inputs? Is the table suggesting I can configure something to happen if I double and triple press a toggle switch?

(Robin) #13

The dimmer 2 can connect to 2 seperate switches (S1 & S2 - only one switch will directly control the connected load though). When parameter 28 is set to ‘1’ each switch will send the scene ID assigned to a particular action.

Using the CoRE Smart App you can take an incoming scene ID and do something.

For example, if I double click my hallway switch, it sends scene ID 14 to the hub, the hub then turns everything downstairs off. Same for my landing switch to turn everything off upstairs. (I only use S1 in these areas)

In my living room I use S1 to control the main light and S2 (Scene ID 26) to control a lamp in the corner. (One dimmer module). On the same module I can also double click S2 to lock a motion sensor, 3x click S2 to turn the whole house off except the living room and hold S2 to toggle external lights… Choices are endless and fully customisable!!

When buying new switches you should take this into account as an original 1 gang switch can become a 2 gang switch if you wish. You don’t have to use S2 though.

I strongly reccomend you swap out your toggle switches for momentary ones, scene ID’s work either way but you will get much better control of dimming etc with momentary switches.

(Fred) #14

Cool ok. When we had our house renovated we went for these black nickel screwless type switches and sockets which look great but I didn’t see much choice in momentary switches of this style. Plus, I’m reticent to replace the switches at the moment as they are so knew and weren’t exactly cheap! That’s not to say I wouldn’t change in future but for now I’d like to have the dimming ability.

Just trying to create the smartapp on the ide using the code from the above author and once I paste the code and click create I get the following error:

No signature of method: script1482264827848121989170.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script1482264827848121989170$_run_closure1) values: [script1482264827848121989170$_run_closure1@32a972b] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Any idea?

(Fred) #15

Oh wait I’ve just realised I copied the wrong code! In the github location there is a folder called smartapps and a folder called device types. I didn’t do the obvious thing!

(Robin) #16

I would hazard a guess you are trying to past the code into a new smart app instead of a new device handler. (Or you missed a bit when you did the copy)

Click on 'device handlers’
Click on 'create new Device Handler’
Select 'from code’
Paste code
Click ‘create’ at the bottom
Click ‘save’ at the top
Click ‘publish’ > ‘for me’ at the top

Should all be done and ready to assign to your device when it arrives.

(Fred) #17

Yep cool you were spot on. I’ve now created the device handler ready to assign it to the dimmer 2 once that’s installed. The github location also has code for a couple of smartapps and I’ve just realised that those aren’t required for the device handler right? They are just additional smartapps I can add to control the dimmer in certain ways?

(Robin) #18

Correct… Those are good smartapps but really you only need one… CoRE.

(Fred) #19

Ah ok, I will check out CoRE then :slight_smile:

(Fred) #20

CoRE seems really good but I need to spend some time learning about how it works etc. In the meantime, can I just check that just with the custom device handler assigned to the dimmer 2 I will be able to dim and brighten the lights? Will I do that through the Smartthings app and will I be able to set a percentage amount by which the lights are dimmed for a very basic dimming capability?