Fibaro dimmer 2 with toggle light switch

Hi all, can I just check that if I install a Fibaro dimmer 2 behind a standard toggle light switch and then pair the dimmer up to my ST hub, will I be able to control dimming of the lights via ST? I know that in order to control dimming from the physical switch I’d need a retractive or momentary type switch but I’m not too fussed about that for now and happy to just have dimming control via the ST app. Would appreciate confirmation from anyone who has it working in this setup - hopefully it can be done!

Thanks.

Cool! Many thanks for confirming! I still need to get the dimmer 2 wired into the back of the switch but I will come back if I can’t figure out the parameter change.

While we’re on the topic, which is the best place for me to look for find instructions on setting up a Fibaro dimmer 2 with ST and adjusting parameters?

Thanks @anon36505037 I am in the UK and neutral is not present at the switch unfortunately. I had a look last weekend…

Great yes I will go with the dimmer 2. I will have a look at your linked post above and see if I can start to setup the device handler…thanks for your help, makes it so worthwhile going with ST over other hubs when you have such a helpful community! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@anon36505037 I’ve been reading through the faq and all the stuff on smartapps and device handlers and its really useful! So good to understand things from scratch.

A couple of questions I have:

1. Can I setup the custom device handler for the Fibaro dimmer 2 in advance of the dimmer actually being installed? I just want to have it ready.

2. Exactly which part of the dimmer 2 code do I need to change parameter 20 to ‘1’? I see a couple of places where it could be so just wanting to confirm…

Cheers!

Ahh cool great stuff. I will go ahead and set it up.

How do I read that table for toggle switches? What are the S1 and S2 inputs? Is the table suggesting I can configure something to happen if I double and triple press a toggle switch?

Cool ok. When we had our house renovated we went for these black nickel screwless type switches and sockets which look great but I didn’t see much choice in momentary switches of this style. Plus, I’m reticent to replace the switches at the moment as they are so knew and weren’t exactly cheap! That’s not to say I wouldn’t change in future but for now I’d like to have the dimming ability.

Just trying to create the smartapp on the ide using the code from the above author and once I paste the code and click create I get the following error:

No signature of method: script1482264827848121989170.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script1482264827848121989170$_run_closure1) values: [script1482264827848121989170$_run_closure1@32a972b] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

Any idea?

Oh wait I’ve just realised I copied the wrong code! In the github location there is a folder called smartapps and a folder called device types. I didn’t do the obvious thing!

Yep cool you were spot on. I’ve now created the device handler ready to assign it to the dimmer 2 once that’s installed. The github location also has code for a couple of smartapps and I’ve just realised that those aren’t required for the device handler right? They are just additional smartapps I can add to control the dimmer in certain ways?

Ah ok, I will check out CoRE then :slight_smile:

CoRE seems really good but I need to spend some time learning about how it works etc. In the meantime, can I just check that just with the custom device handler assigned to the dimmer 2 I will be able to dim and brighten the lights? Will I do that through the Smartthings app and will I be able to set a percentage amount by which the lights are dimmed for a very basic dimming capability?

Also obviously I can’t see the actual dimmer 2 device in my devices list on the IDE but just testing where I would assign the custom handler to the device and when I click to edit any of my existing devices I see a bunch of fields but none where I would assign the handler. Are the fields different depending on the device? So far I’ve only got two mobile phones as presence sensors and a power outlet.

Perfect! Many thanks @anon36505037
Looking forward to installing the dimmers now…

Dimmer scenes smartapp by @hajar and CoRE now installed :slight_smile: I’ll start looking into pistons now…

1 Like

I am one of the late adopter. Bought a ST Hub and 2 Fibaro dimmer 2. Do I follow the same process as outlined above? I am in South Africa using the U.K. Standard items (mentioned above)

Yes you should be able to follow the same process to get then up and running. I now have the dimmer modules installed in 5 rooms with the custom device handlers assigned and ability to dim via the ST app and the switch. Note, I still have toggle switches and I can dim up, down, turn off and turn on from the switch - you just have to learn the click combinations to get these actions to happen.

I have connected the Fibaro double switch using both the S1 and S2 but cannot find the S2 on ST, even after downloading the Multi-Channel Control SmartApp. Can someone help please.

For what it’s worth, once my ST hub ‘found’ the double switch 2 device as part of the pairing process I could immediately see an S1 and S2 ‘thing’ listed in the app. I can’t remember what default device handler ST assigned to the double switch but I had installed the custom device handler for the double switch 2 which can be found on these forums so I applied that and it all works fine. Have you tried pairing again?

Hi Fred. Thanks for the reply. All of the 5 switches I installed have the same issue. I even called a professional electrician for the installation to make sure that these are connected properly. It maybe the handler I am using?? If you can remember the one you used kindly share with me. Thanks once again!!

Strange - the handler I used is from the post here: [RELEASE] Fibaro Single Switch 2 FGS-213 & Double Switch 2 FGS-223

I see three ‘devices’ showing in my IDE for the double switch 2, one for the parent module itself and then one each for S1 and S2. The parent device handler is using the custom DTH I’ve linked to above. The S1 and S2 devices have a handler of type ‘Child Metering Device’ which was assigned automatically and I didn’t change.