FAQ: Hue accessory devices with smartthings? (2019)

I’m wondering if it’s possible to use all my Hue devices like the Motion sensor, Tap switch and dimmer with Smartthings.

“Possible” is a complicated word with regard to the smartthings platform. :wink:

If you are using the official integration, then the accessories like the sensors and switches are not visible to smartthings. You can still use them with your hue bridge as a parallel means of control, and many people do, but you can’t set up smartthings automations based on the accessory activity.

A few of the accessories could be added directly to the smartthings hub and used as generic zigbee devices, but then they wouldn’t also work with the hue bridge and you would lose some of the advanced features.

Custom Solutions

At this point, it’s important to note that SmartThings Is in the middle of a major transition: new hub, new V3 app, new cloud platform. The information in the previous section applies to those using the new app and the official features. At the present time there are two different mobile apps available, the new V3 and the V2 classic, and they have somewhat different capabilities and features. You can use both of them, but smartthings have said that the classic app will be going away, they just haven’t given us a specific timeline. See the FAQ:

FAQ: how to tell which version of the SmartThings mobile app that you have

If you are willing to use the V2 classic app and custom code, then you may be able to set up a situation where the accessories are visible to smartthings while still working with the hue bridge. This has worked for some community members, but isn’t always reliable. For information on that, see the following thread (The topic title is a clickable link)

There is also a custom DTH specifically to allow you to use a hue motion sensor, either indoors or outdoors, connected directly to the smartthings hub. Again, you have to be using the classic app to make this work.

Hue Outdoor Motion & SmartThings Hub

So as you can see, the answer to your question is “it depends,“ depending on whether you are willing to use the classic app and custom code.

1 Like

Thank you for a very good and quick answer! That makes me lean more towards buying a Athom Homey. Only thing is that my Samsung dishwasher, fridge and oven might not be supported by Homey.
I gave to give it more thought:/

1 Like

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.