FAQ: How to migrate from the Classic App to the new App

This is a common question especially for those who either missed the deadline for the Classic app or those who can’t access the Classic app anymore.

It’s best not to use the Migrate button in the Classic app as it sometimes creates more issues than it resolves, however do read the notes for special circumstances.

What does the migrate button do?

1. Delete your Routines from the Classic app and converts them to Automations and Scenes in the new app
  2. Deletes SHM and Smart Locks from the Classic app and creates STHM and Guest Locks in the new app

All you installed SmartApps and Devices are automatically available in the new ST app and you don’t need to do anything special for them. If you can do those 2 steps by yourself, you’ll save yourself a bunch of migration issues and you don’t even need access to the Classic app to do these.

How do I delete Routines, Smart Locks and SHM without the Classic app?

1. Open the IDE (https://account.smartthings.com)
  2. Click on My Locations
  3. Click on the SmartApps link to the right of your location name
  4. Look under Hello Home and you’ll see all your Routines, click on Edit and then click on Uninstall next to each Routine name
  5. On the same page look for Smart Locks and Smart Home Monitor under Solutions, click on Uninstall next to their names

How do I recreate those features in the new app?

1. Open the new ST app and you should automatically see all your existing devices
  2. Click on the Hamburger menu (3 horizontal lines) on the top left
  3. Click on SmartApps and you’ll see all your installed SmartApps
  4. Routines have been replaced with Automations and Scenes. Automations are a set of rules to execute actions. Scenes are a bunch of actions which are grouped together. Automations can execute actions or groups of actions (Scenes). Click on the + icon, on the top right, click on Automations and recreate your Routines. If you want to create a groups of reusable actions, click on + on the top right and click on Scenes.
  5. To install SmartThings Home Monitor (STHM) and Smart Locks Guest Access (SLGA), click on + and click on SmartApps and you can select the apps from there to install, which will also show you any custom SmartApps you may have installed in your account. Once installed you can access your installed apps from Hamburger menu -> SmartApps

NOTES:

1 Like

Using the MIgrate button is the only way (currently) to get the Custom Monitors SmartApp installed in the new app, which provides the same feature as custom rules in SHM did.

A few weeks back, it appears a new custom monitor was added through the migration tool.

1 Like

Good info, updated the first post! I guess the alternative for that is the Automation tool or something like this: [RELEASE] Door Chimes and Notifications for Doorbells and Sensors

Automation creator still can’t do “door open for X minutes”. So the easiest way to migrate that from Classic to the new app is to use the migration tool.

Easiest but not the safest IMHO. Some folks have been stuck with issues ranging from missing locations, devices moved to different locations, missing apps/devices etc which has led to folks having to reset the accounts/hubs and start over to fix these issues if support cannot resolve them. Not saying it happens to everyone, but folks should weigh the risk for this one app.

2 Likes

So what about the built-in stuff like Weather Station and Hub Offline notification? Should we uninstall those as well? Honestly, the Offline notification is the only one in the picture below I really care about, mainly just making sure I’m not breaking something by uninstalling those. And asking since they aren’t technically Routines I created. (Oh, ignore SHM, already uninstalled it, just snipped the image before I hit that button.)

I think the way to avoid that problem is to that is to make sure you can use and see everything correctly in the new app before using the migration tool. I had lots of problems migrating to a Samsung account earlier this year (missing devices, etc), but eventually got everything working and visible in the new app. When I finially used the migration tool to transfer SHM and Routines, I had no issues.