SmartThings Community

Event log flooded with "devicetype:04...." messages after firmware upgrade

Ever since I got the firmware update this afternoon my hub’s event log have been flooded with hundreds of these messages:

@slagle : Request #182277

I will reboot (again) shortly…

same here 20 characters

same here 20 characters

I too have those on my log, but since stopped at 2:57pm MST. It was every 3-5 minutes.

I’m not an expert but searched on the www and this is what came up from Micro$oft’s site:

The device continues to resend these messages every 5 seconds until a control point that is listening on the network for this ssdp:alive message responds with the appropriate behavior. The contract between the control point and the device for the expected control point response behavior is outside the scope of this protocol. However, as an example, a device could listen on an agreed-upon TCP port, and when the control point connects to this TCP port (in response to having received a device ssdp:alive message) the device could assume it has been discovered and cease sending the SSDP messages.

I guess my hub has been discovered by the muth’a-ship.

If that’s the case, why so many different MAC addresses? Several do repeat, so I’m wondering if my hub is trying to discover devices on my network. The only LAN devices I have in ST is my Samsung camera, and my Echo.

I am no expert but I suspect based on the fact you can only have 253 Z Wave devices that they run in a form of a subnet (usually 254 addresses -1 for the router or hub in this case) I bet that is happening as it is resyncing with each z wave device.

I am not sure, but have those events stopped on your end?

Nope, been going on since 11:39am EST when I got the update.

Looks like something to do with UPNP.

Looks to be some sort of discovery service, the MAC addresses relate to devices in my network, SSDP is this so that would make sense:

So they may have either added something new or are actively logging it more now. It’s almost certainly nothing of concern.

Yeah I know, but it’s driving me nuts…

Just don’t look at that page :smiley:

Seriously though, unless you’re actively storing the logs or combing through them for a specific log entry, it shouldn’t be an issue

1 Like

Vv[quote=“keltymd, post:6, topic:36658, full:true”]
I am no expert but I suspect based on the fact you can only have 253 Z Wave devices that they run in a form of a subnet (usually 254 addresses -1 for the router or hub in this case) I bet that is happening as it is resyncing with each z wave device.
[/quote]

Zwave is a maximum of 232 devices per network.

And a zwave restart wouldn’t normally produce these messages.

BTW, I am getting these messages with 4 different MAC addresses (which repeat, but not in any particular order) and have only 2 zwave devices plus the hub…I just don’t think this is Zwave activity.

It’s likely only devices that support UPNP/SSDP that you’ll see, I saw my Windows 8.1 laptop and my router crop up, didn’t check anything else, seems to just be discovery chatter.

@JDRoberts @Benji @keltymd @isoseeker @Lgkahn @cuboy29 ,

How’s this for a fast reply from support?

Karl (SmartThings)
Jan 21, 7:37 PM

Hey John,

Thanks for reaching out. That’s actually going to be part of the LAN discovery update aimed at making LAN device discovery better, so it’s a good thing. I’m assuming you have a few LAN devices?

Hopefully that helps. This is meant to be able to keep those LAN devices connected longer.

Regards,

-Karl
SmartThings Support

3 Likes

Was just updating as well:

“SSDP alive/byebye messages are more active - confirmed with an engineer”

So yeah it’s all good, just a bit of log spamming.

1 Like

This is just great! So now SmartThings is going to scan my home network for devices even if I didn’t ask it to? Frigging genius! Thank you Big Brother Samsung!

Yeah, one reason I run my home automation stuff on a separate network than any of my other stuff.

This is just not right.

• Unsolicited firmware updates and no way to control or stop them.
  • Undisclosed or vaguely documented firmware changes.
  • Surreptitious network scanning.

Now I see why Samsung bought SmartThings. It’s a perfect surveillance and data mining device. Frigging bloody bastards!

Mine has been doing this since long before today’s update.

My understanding is that it has to do with my hue hub.