[Edge] Wake-on-LAN via Alexa command

If you have a device that responds to Wake-on-LAN commands and you want to initiate those commands via Alexa, then this driver is for you.

From my shared projects channel, install Virtual WOL Switch V1.

How to use it
Once the driver is installed to your hub, initiate a Scan nearby devices from the mobile app, and a new device will be added in your ‘No Room Assigned’ room called vWOL_1. Go into device Settings and configure the mac address of the device you want to control. The SmartThings device will appear as a switch in the Alexa app, so create an Alexa routine to turn the switch on via a voice command. (Note that the switch will automatically revert to OFF after 5 seconds, so you don’t have to worry about resetting it.) When the switch is turned on, the Edge driver will send the WOL command. There is also a button capability included in this device in case you (1) want to invoke it via a momentary button push from a SmartThings automation, or (2) have something in SmartThings triggered based on a button push whenever triggered from Alexa.

If you need more than one of these devices, you can create additional ones via a button in the SmartThings device Controls screen.

Thanks goes out to @DaWeav for the initial request for this driver and testing it.

NOTE:
If all you need is the ability to trigger a WOL command from within SmartThings, and don’t need Alexa integration, you can use my LAN Device Monitor driver instead.

8 Likes

Very cool! :sunglasses:

Tagging @jody.albritton , who likes stuff like this.

1 Like

@TAustin
Your a Beast…I’m sure people will like this.

3 Likes

Thank you again.

‘Alexa, turn on my Computer’, which turns On the Alexa Computer group of devices with the vWOL HP PC, vWOL NAS, and the smartplugs for the miniswitch and computer speakers. I also setup, ‘Alexa, turn on the Telework computer’, which turns on the vWOL business VPN computer. So now I can issue the voice command while I’m making my cup of Tea in the morning, and by the time my Tea is done, I just walk over to my desk and start logging on.

BTW, I went to your Shared Projects channel and installed this driver so I could be on your primary channel driver. When I installed it, SmartThings apparently just automatically switched all of my vWake-On-Lan devices over to it because when I went to your Test Channel, that driver was automagically uninstalled there.

1 Like

You know what I need before I do! Thanks, as always, for the great drivers.

Of note, no surprise here, but this works with Google home devices as well (I have a mix between those and Alexa).

2 Likes