Edge driver uninstalled but still gets used when adding device

I’m trying to add an ikea Rodret thou it assigns to edge driver “zigbee thing”

Ive uninstalled this driver thou it still seems to find this driver andvalso wont let me change it to a different driver?

SmartThings maintain a ‘channel’ of drivers for specific certified Zigbee devices (identified by the manufacturer and model), and these also support some generic devices based on what capabilities they advertise. These drivers get installed automatically when needed. The ‘Zigbee Thing’ driver exists as a last resort so you can successfully pair any Zigbee device with SmartThings but it has absolutely no functionality of its own. All it really does is provides a base from which you can change to another driver. It is not stopping a more suitable driver being used, it is just that you don’t have any drivers already installed that will work with the Rodret, and nor will any of the other standard drivers that aren’t yet installed.

The first generation of IKEA Tradfri devices were all officially supported on the legacy platform and have been ported to Edge drivers, up until the IKEA Shortcut button which was never supported and nor have been any of the devices released by IKEA since then.

In order to use the Rodret you will have to find a community written or other third-party driver that can support it. There have been many requests for one since the Rodret was released but I haven’t seen any positive responses. I don’t know if there is any particular complication stopping one being produced or it is just that no one is interested in writing one for themselves.

1 Like

As @orangebucket noted, smartthings has a channel of “stock edge drivers” which are considered part of the standard firmware of the hub. They are distributed to all customers. If you delete one, it will just reinstall itself again pretty soon. So there’s no point in deleting those.

However, the platform does give priority to custom edge drivers that match on the same “fingerprints“ as a stock edge Driver, so it shouldn’t matter that the stock edge driver is there. If you also have a custom edge driver for that same device, the custom one will be given priority when a matching device is added to your network. And you should be able to change between them from within the smartthings app.

If the stock edge Driver is the only one available in the app, then one of two things is going on.

A) the device did not correctly complete its pairing to your network so the fingerprint is not available to match on. In that case, smartthings will just match it to one of its default edge drivers, which is typically why something like a smoke detector ends up being reported as a light switch.

See the following community FAQ for more about fingerprints:

FAQ: Manufacturer/Model Shows All Zeroes

B) you haven’t successfully downloaded an alternative edge driver to your hub. Maybe you didn’t know you needed to subscribe in order to get it downloaded. Maybe the download was interrupted for some reason. See the following FAQ for the basics of finding and using custom edge Drivers:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

——-
In any case, you don’t solve the problem you are seeing by deleting a stock edge driver.

You solve it by making sure that the fingerprint is correct and then finding and downloading a custom edge Driver that will match that fingerprint. :thinking:

If there aren’t any yet available, there is a forum thread where you can make a new request, but first I would search the forum for rodret, because I believe this particular device has already been discussed a couple of times.

1 Like