Dome Water Shut Off Valve

It’s now 10% off on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2uRgoKV

I should have waited…Amazon is refusing to adjust the price. Though I am awaiting for my handyman to come and install this thing. My plumber is refusing to do so and says it’s against code. But he installed the leak gopher on my water softener line.

I’m confused about this one. Do you have any insights regarding what the issue is?

He says installing this will shut off water to my fire sprinklers, I already have a valve so I am not sure why it matters if its electric?

i can see his point. If something goes squirrelly with ST or a rogue automation, you don’t want your safety to be impacted. Maybe install another valve downstream after the fire sprinklers split off? Or get one like Leaksmart that goes in-line.

Does this work with the handle valve shut offs. My plumber put a new shut off valve and it’s a handle instead of a knob.

If you take a look at the Dome Website it shows that 1/4 turn lever valves are the only type it works with:

http://www.domehastore.com/products/dome-smart-home-system/dome-z-wave-water-valve-controller.htm

I already have a leak gopher on the main line to the house, he installed that last week

Two weeks ago the fire sprinkler in my garage was leaking, I didn’t notice until I got home to a flooded garage.

So I want to have the ability to remotely shutoff my fire sprinklers valve but I don’t intend to install any smart apps, it will be solely manual.

For instance if my garage nest detects a loud sound caused by the fire sprinkler alarm, I can manually shut off the water if my Nest Protect does not detect smoke and I can check the cameras in my house to confirm everything is okay (i.e no fire).

is the leak gopher not a model that can be controlled remotely? they also have a z-wave valve. Maybe it can be fitted to your existing leak gopher system?

Ok thanks.

That’s what I have, it’s Z-Wave and I can control it with SmartThing’s. However, it is on the line that goes to the water softener, I want to also control the main line entering the house. Just in case something leaks between the main point of entry and water softener.

Adding sprinklers to the mix makes it easier to understand the issue. Thanks.

It’s 30% off right now. It basically gives you a free water sensor. Check out the Slick Deals page.

I was also told this is a code violation. I would NOT do it. Your fire sprinkler system should have a flow switch that will call your security company. What would happen if the valve accidentally closed and you had a fire?

I started this thread. I installed these in January and wanted to report that they are still working like a champ! I installed two of the water main shut offs.I have the Dome Device Handler installed (though I had them working without it), the Smart Monitor working with water sensors, and wrote a quick CoRE program to cycle the valves once weekly in the middle of the night to keep the ball valves from getting sticky.

Overall this is a GREAT product. It caught a leak in our laundry and killed the water - saving expensive repairs. We also had a kid not check a sticky toilet and we left. I have a water flow sensor that alerted me of water flow. I was able to kill the water remotely and fix the toilet when we got home. I can also kill the hot water if the kids are taking too long in the shower :slight_smile:
If you are considering these I’d give them two thumbs up. High quality and strong turning power. I’d say these are some of the best water main shut offs on the market!

2 Likes

Water flow sensor? Which one?

I have a Kenmore water softener that has a water flow sensor. I have not been able to find or create a device handler to pass the data to SmartThings.

I can second @616fun 's report. But I’ve had one issue. On my installation, the range of motion on the arm goes a little too far when closing; resulting in trying to go past the valve stop whereupon the motor retries and retries.

Dome support didn’t have any advice. I was hoping there might be a way to limit the range. I’ve tried putting a little slack in the mechanism that grabs the valve, but it still tries to close past the stop point.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Thank you!

Have you tried a minor adjustment of the fulcrum point of the valve? Maybe it’s set slightly behind center and over extending as a result?

I looked closely at this and experimented with moving the fulcrum point, but I can’t position it such that the lever closes in time with the device actuator mechanism. However I did notice that the problem seems to be the actual valve - the friction to close increased dramatically at about 95% closed. If, when the motor struggles, I then give the manual handle a little push, the handle closes just a tad more and the motor finishes its cycle.

This leads me to conclude there is not an answer. I think I just need to accept that this is an emergency operation that hopefully never executes, but if it does, then I will likely have a stripped motor.

I was using a different brand valve shut off and had the exact same issue. It would reach almost closed but could not squeeze that last couple of percent so it would just keep trying. I could just touch it to provide the added force it needed to finish and turn off. Of course that sort of negated the whole purpose of the thing.

The dome has enough power to get the valve closed. If this didn’t work the next step was to install an in-line valve which was a bigger job and bigger cost.

1 Like