Dome Water Shut Off Valve

I grabbed these from Amazon and installed them last night. Overall I’m very happy. I didn’t see any other topics with this manufacturer so I thought I would post it.

https://domeha.com/products/z-wave-water-main-shutoff-sensor

The product is robust, well packaged, and the directions were well written. The mounting system, while only being pipe clamps, is quite secure, though I will periodically check them to ensure they haven’t worked loose. Pairing with SmartThings was easy and the system recognized the unit as a Valve immediately.

I installed two - one at the main and one on the hot water out. This will keep the water from draining back into the water heater should it be leaking. I set up the smart monitor to close the valves should the leak sensor be activated.

7 Likes

Did you also buy and install their water leak sensor? If so what were your thoughts on that?

I don’t even see them on Amazon, sold out on their site until next month. They don’t look as durable as Leaksmart. I have ball valves throughout the house, but not on the main line coming in, so wouldn’t do me any good there. I could see using them under kitchen sink or in bathroom though.

I did not buy their leak sensor. I am using the Smartthings sensor.

From what I saw the Leaksmart is a stand alone system. I wanted something that I could integrate into my home automation. The Leaksmart is also $500. I installed two shut offs at $100 each, and two water leak sensors for $30 each. That’s almost 1/2 price compared to LeakSmart. In terms of quality, it feels quite robust and well built. The test will be time.

In terms of ball valves, I had them, but didn’t have enough pipe to mount the actuator so I cut in two more. I’d need to add that to the cost of the project ($50 in valves/copper/joints). I enjoy projects and have no issues sweating copper.

Actually Leaksmart is Zigbee, I got them at Lowe’s for $67 and integrated into ST… $500 must have been to have a plumber come and install it for you. Difference is you need to cut the pipes and actually install the LeakSmart valve then mount the controller/actuator on it.

My bad - I did a quick search and found the non z wave system that runs it’s own hub/app. I’m still very impressed with the quality of the Dome unit. It’s a robust piece of equipment. Time will tell if it holds up.

Attached are some images of the device.

Leaksmart does have its own hub and sensors, but they also work with ST hub as well.

I just installed one of the Dome water valve controls tonight. I had to add a new ball valve, but the whole install took less than an hour. The motor cycles smoothly and seems to have plenty of torque for the job. The mounting bracket is rather substantial and fits quite securely. Overall I’m very happy with the result and for $100 it’s a great deal.

1 Like

Hope my post helped. I’ve been very happy with mine.

1 Like

616fun Great Post! I’m a part of Dome Home Automation support and development team and I’m really glad you like our Water Main Shut-Off. We just released official Device Handler and DH Installation Guide. for this device. I will follow this topic and try to answer any questions related to the product. Thanks again for your support!

2 Likes

I just installed the device handler and remove/reapplied both valves without a hitch. Thanks for the great support.

This is exactly why I prefer the LeakSmart. The ball valve is part of the unit.

The only reason I had to add a new valve was because my existing system used gate valves. I used a SharkBite valve which made installation a breeze. Even factoring in the $15 ball valve this was still cheaper and easier to install than the LeakSmart…

I’m not going to argue price or opinions on ease of install. However $60 for LeakSmart + $12 for 2 3/4"NPT SharkBites is still well under your $100 target and with internal valve it is one less point of failure

This is a double edged sword. If Leaksmart goes bad you have to replumb, where once a ball valve is in place you just swap the actuator. Also - if you had a ball valve in place an actuating motor like the Dome unit is an obvious choice.

Different strokes for different folks.

Where can you buy a LeakSmart for $60? Everywhere I look is over $100. I’d expect the electronics or the motor to fail before the valve does, so I’d rather just be able to add a new actuator rather than having to replace the entire valve.

That said, if I had seen a LeakSmart for $60 I probably would have bought it.

Got mine at Lowe’s …

BetaBound is actually ( or was last week ) looking for LeakSmart Beta testers ( free valve). I posted the link in deals thread.

Well hey, for $60 that’s a steal! Of course with all of these automatic water valves, if it saves you from one leaking pipe, it’s worth every penny.

I received an alert from SmartThings the other day when I was at work, and at first all I could see of the notification was “Kitchen Sink Moisture Sensor…”. I was sweating a bit until I expanded it and saw that it was just a low battery warning. That momentary freak out is what finally made me pull the trigger on buying an automated valve!

1 Like