Device removal fake-out

I am having difficulty removing a cree bulb from Smartthings. Even though I removed it from Sharptools, the system still sees it as linked to that app and therefore will not allow me to remove it. Needless to say, this caused a little bit of an issue as I wished to reassign that bulb.

So I faked it out. I’m sure many of you are already aware of this… you can go into IDE and change the Zigbee device ID and network ID. So I simply entered bogus IDs, and renamed the device “dead device”. I then reset the bulb (for the umpteenth and final time lol), and had ST find it again. As a ‘fresh’ device I am able to set it up as I want it.

3 Likes

Small problem with that. You now have an orphan devices, and they can cause all kinds of havoc… To the point of a failing hub.

The most likely reason you couldn’t delete it is because somewhere in sharptools it had been selected and the deselected. Unfortunately the system does not like detecting things and we’ll hang on to the device. It won’t do anything with it, usually, but it does make it difficult to uninstall.

You have to go through everything and see where it pops up.

Thanks. I went through everything (my system is not yet overwhelmed with things) and it still won’t allow me to delete. I opened a case with support