Can I "remove/re-add" a device without breaking all routines and rules?


#1

I have done this one time with support on the line (chat window) and they were able to somehow remove the device in the back-end, then have me go through the standard discovery process, then name it the same thing and put it right back where it was before. This was the only way I have ever been able to re-add a device without completely re-programming everything that device had to do with.

Is there any way through the API or otherwise that we as the end user can do this? They are not available on chat for the most part and I have a key light bulb that the hub is no longer talking to after a power bump last night so I need to remove/add it back to the system and really don’t want to have to go through a million rules and apps to reconfigure the whole system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!


#2

you could go to the web frontend and change your existing device IDs eg zigbee ID and device ID and change it to something bogus - then you keep all your settings and rules and will be able to add the same device again - you would still need to go through all rules associated with the device and re-associate it with the rules and remove your “placeholder” device … thats how I do it …


(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #3

I do this without using the IDE, if adding a replacement device before removing the old one, just rename the old one first (Porch Light Old) and then it’s feasible just to uncheck / check the new one in each SmartApp (as you can find all the affected SmartApps by visiting the old Device’s detail screen).


#4

With a zwave device, you can do it with the Replace Utility. That’s exactly what it’s for. It assigns the old network ID to the new device (or to the same device if you’re adding it again for a second time).

If this is a Zigbee bulb using a ZHA profile to connect directly to the SmartThings hub, it’s likely you can just physically reset it and readd it without ever removing it and everything will work fine because the zigbee device has its own unique ID. You shouldn’t have to touch the smartapps because the device ID will be the same.

See the steps in the following:

If this is a zigbee bulb using A ZLL profile to connect through the Phillips hue bridge, I’m not sure exactly how it works.


#5

Thank you… actually for whatever reason, this did not work at all for me. I reset the bulb as they describe, didn’t change anything in ST yet and the system would NOT re-add the bulb no matter what I tried until that bulb had been completely removed from the system (which is a long, annoying process)… but to that credit, I owe tgauchat a thank you because I did just this… renamed that bulb so it was easily identifiable. I then actually renamed one of my other bulbs that I use MUCH less often to the bad bulbs original name, physically moved it to the bad bulbs location, and updated everything in ST to reflect this change… changed the room it lives in, the devices, smart apps, routines, etc. that trigger it, and completely updated everything top to bottom. Once that was done and confirmed to work; I deleted the bad bulb from ST. Once I did this, it re-added with absolutely no issue as a new bulb, and basically I just set it back up to replace the less used bulb I swapped it with and went through the exact same process. It took a while but worked perfectly and everything works now.

Interesting thing though is ST wanted nothing to do with re-adding that bulb since it already existed in the system. I bet if I would have changed the Zigbee ID, etc. it would have though… so if I run into this again, I’ll try that out.

My first triggered routines this morning failed since the changes which annoys me but I’ll go refresh them and see if that doesn’t help.


#6

Well, KNOCK ON WOOD… only those two first timed routines failed to fire… ever since those first two fails, everything else has fired on time as expected and is working again. Must have been a hiccup to get out of it’s system because I have gone full circle now and 1 full days worth of timed events have triggered as expected. Thanks again for the help.