DAKboard integration?

Any programmers out there need a project? I have been looking at a product called DAKboard (https://dakboard.com/site) that acts as a home display and appears to be based of a Raspberry Pi. One user has already tied it into the Home/Away feature of a Nest Thermostat to turn the display on and off (https://dakboard.com/blog/integrate-dakboard-with-your-nest-thermostat/) and I think they are working on an official API. If anybody has any thoughts or features this might be an easy answer for the wall display we all want. Here is their Github site as well (https://github.com/dannyk660/dakboard)

It would be nice if nothing else to have the display turn on/off based on SmartThings modes. Full integration with SmartThings would be amazing. It could be used to display a status screen like ActionTiles, display security cams,ect.

1 Like

Time to bump this :slight_smile: Is anyone using DAKboards?

I thought that development of DAKboard was pretty much stalled. It works well but is missing some key features, and even features that once worked became broken and so have been removed. The sole developer seems unresponsive or disinterested. A shame really

They are still active and are making small monthly enhancements, but very little progress.

1 Like

Iā€™m using DAKboard and now looking into what status info I can pull in from SmartThings.

2 Likes

Just for getting device status, you can use the JSON block to get devices and location info using the new api:

Example using new SmartThings Cloud API!

DAKboard just added beta support for SmartThings.

1 Like

That is cool, at first it seems they allow more API scopes than when I built the JSON, but API may have changed too since I played last time. Thanks for sharing.

Well, promising start, but direct device integration via JSON block has advantages. For one, you cannot name the block or show the device name, and you cannot add a custom icon if you want to.

new integration

JSON block

I would love to see the JSON you built.

Yes, you can. It wonā€™t pick up the device name, but you can manually enter a block name on the second tab when editing the block.

Oh yeah, good point, I missed the ā€œBlock Titleā€ on the ā€œFormattingā€ tab. Also a very nice feature of the official integration is getting dynamic icons for open/closed and the battery level as secondary attribute both as graphic and value:

How do I find more information on this ā€¦ or join their beta program ?
I am currently a Premium member and I canā€™t see anything

Try to add a new block, you should see the SmartThings under the " External" category. It will then walk you through to authorize.

Ahh found it ā€¦ So this is a status display only - you canā€™t control the device from Dakboard ?

I suppose thatā€™s inkeeping with the role of Dakboard. I stopped using it a while back but kept subscription ā€¦ need to get up to speed again.

1 Like

Right, no touching allowed:-) if you need to interact with your dash, then Actiontiles, Sharptools or HousePanel are still the best.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention! Hereā€™s a link for anyone looking for more information on SharpTools.io:

As Bob alluded to, SharpTools enables you to build beautiful custom dashboards to view and control your SmartThings devices. We also have calendar integrations, RSS feeds, editor picked backgrounds if youā€™re into those type of features from Dakboard.

Or for that matter, you can use SharpTools as your interactive dashboard and layer Dakboard on as a ā€˜screensaverā€™. :smiley:

1 Like

I am trying to add a Sharptools iframe in Dakboard, but Safari keeps asking for login every once in a while during the day. I wonder if this is something Apple did in the iPad iOS 13 or it happens with public Safari version? Also rendering in Safari is so messed up on iOS 13 comparing to Android, people are not going to be happy when it will be released.

UPDATE: beta 5 release seems to have fixed this problem.

1 Like

Hm. Might be an iOS beta thing. The logins for SharpTools are long lived and shouldnā€™t ask you to log back in. Not sure why being in an iframe in Safari would change that.

Iā€™ll shoot you a PM for more details.

Edit: For example, we even have a special iframe API that some people have used to create wrapper sites/menus:

2 Likes