Custom Monitors in SmartThings Home Monitor No Longer Supported?

My custom monitors are not working that I created through the app. Do they not support those anymore???

If you can give more detail someone will be able help but at the moment nobody knows what your custom monitors are or mean

It does appear that the custom monitors in SmartThings Home Monitor have stopped working. :thinking:

That one has a weird history.

Back in 2017, the official Smart Home Monitor (SHM) which was part of the Classic app let you create custom monitors.

When the V3 version of the SmartThings app was introduced in 2018, its similar security feature, SmartThings Home Monitor (STHM) did NOT offer custom monitors—you had to use routines or SharpTools for similar functionality.

When they first automatically migrated people to the new app, those custom monitors were lost. :disappointed_relieved:

LOTS of complaints.

Then quietly one day a NEW smartapp appeared: Custom Monitors. But only for people who had previously had custom monitors created in the classic version of the smartthings app. And you couldn’t use it to create a new custom monitor: it just ran the old ones that people had created in the old version of the app.

On top of that, support claimed they didn’t know anything about it and didn’t support it:

I would like to inform you that officialy we do not support the custom monitor smartapps in the new SmartThings app

To this day, I wonder if some smartthings engineer just took pity on those who lost functionality in the 2018 migration and slipped that code in there unofficially. :thinking:

But in any case, it does appear that it has been shut down, along with all the other custom-written smartapps. So you will need to re-create them using the new architecture.

The following thread discusses some general options, but they will no longer be part of the security features in the app, you’ll just get regular notifications. :disappointed_relieved:

Replace Groovy with Automations—what’s your plan?

@nayelyz

1 Like

I do. :wink:

They are a leftover from the Classic version of the SmartThings app.

See post above.

1 Like

2017 !!! No wonder i didnt remember :pensive:

1 Like

As others said, Custom Monitor was a stopgap measure put into place when the Classic version of the SmartThings mobile app was retired. It is a Groovy smart app, all of which were shut off several days ago. You should be able to replicate all of its features with Routines now.

Hi, @Rudedog

Thanks for the tag, @JDRoberts. Unfortunately, I don’t have info about that as it is a feature in the app and not development related.
So, @Rudedog if you want to report this and get more info, please contact ST Customer Support and provide more details like screenshots and this post’s URL.

Open here to see their contact info

Through the SmartThings Web page

1. Enter this page
  2. Click on “Support” in the upper-right corner
  3. Check if the URL includes your region. For example, en-us here: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us
  4. At the bottom, select “email” and describe your issue as detailed as possible.
  5. Click on “submit”

From the ST app

1. Open the SmartThings app
  2. Go to the menu tab at the bottom-right corner.
  3. On this page, select the option “contact us” and then go to “Report a problem”
  4. Accept the generation of logs, fill up the form describing your issue as detailed as possible, and screen captures of the issue always help.
  5. Click on “submit”. The Customer team will receive this info.

Via email

US: 1-866-813-2404
US: support@smartthings.com
UK support 0333 0000333
UK: support@smartthings.co.uk
CA: support@smartthings.ca

1 Like

This is mostly true except for the feature that allowed you to only trigger a monitor action once every x minutes, for example if you wanted a notification when a door first opened but then didn’t want another notification about that door for another 10 minutes. So far I haven’t found a straightforward way of setting a cooldown period on Routines.

1 Like

It’s definitely not straightforward, but you can do this by daisychaining in an additional routine with a virtual switch, which turns itself on after a delay of X minutes and then trigger the notification on events happening with that virtual switch. There has been some discussion of this method in the forum in the last week or so, if anybody wants the details, I will find the links.

So doable just with routines and virtual devices, but, I certainly agree, not straightforward.

Glad I noticed this.

My situation is two homes: one in cold climate during the winter, the other humid climate in summer. I had set up Custom Monitors in both locations: warn of low temps up north & high humidity down south. Critical for avoiding frozen pipes or mold.

Re-done with routines & virtual devices, of course…

1 Like

The setup is pretty simple and straight-forward. Two Routines. The first sends alerts, the second sets the time interval. (One virtual switch.)