Crap, I just got the “you must take action” force over to Samsung notice

How long does it take after receiving this notice before my smartthings account becomes inactive?
I really don’t want to be moved to Samsung.
What happens to the Groovy IDE with the new login??

Additional question: Custom DH’s won’t work is that correct? All or just some?

everything should work the same, just use your new login credentials

1 Like

Samsung SHOULD make all these things very clear in the notice of requirement to update.

I fecken hate this company. They suck at so many things.

1 Like

There’s definitely a lot of confusion out there, but there’s a difference between the two logins: one for Samsung and one for SmartThings and the two mobile apps (smartthings classic and SmartThings Samsung connect).

You can use either login with the classic app for now, so being told you have to change to the new login doesn’t mean you have to change to the new app (yet).

3 Likes

I just received the in app notice too. It says A new SmartThings app is here. We are…

So I don’t have to use a new app? Honestly, when this all first started I read about it a little, but haven’t since basically day one. There were so many complaints, and people creating an account when they were supposed to, I just decided to wait till I was told.

Now that is here I guess. Should I use the new app? Are we supposed to? I also have someone else on my smartthings account, I can’t remember, but I guess I created an account just for them…? I have that user I my Manage user section of my account.

These are not really directed to you, sorry for the quote, lol.

1 Like

I got notice last week, I’m still dragging my feet but I will have to do this eventually… not on a Friday though.

1 Like

The notice in the app is very confusing. Its sounds like its migrating you to the new app, but it isn’t. it’s just changing the method you use to login. you can still use classic app.

5 Likes

Sigh.

WhyOhWhyOhWhyOh, Samsung?

PLEASE change the message so customers don’t think this means they are being kicked out of SmartThings Classic App!!!

4 Likes

SmartThings is like a box of chocolates…

4 Likes

I think it’s closer to Pandora’s box …

3 Likes

You mean there’s still Hope left? :wink:

3 Likes

“ Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies … " — with the possible exception of well written third-party DTHs and apps being migrated to the new ST app :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Ah crud, I got this too. Was putting this off as long as possible. Going away on Thu so not going to do tonight. Guess when I get back.

I believe at the end of the upgrade it stated to remain on the classic app…

1 Like

Got mine too and it only took a few minutes, maybe less, to get it done. No issues detected. I am exploring the new app now that it is populated but I still use the classic app for daily HA needs.

3 Likes

I suspect Samsung Corp. want people to move to the new app, whereas the Smartthings Samsung people recongise the issues with the current messaging but have little power over what mothership is telling people.

1 Like

Only if we’re scraping at the bottom of the jar.

2 Likes

the change to Samsung account does NOT have to go smoothly or quickly. I got the banner about 7-8 weeks ago, I put it off for about a week, then started it, then it said “Updating your account / Please wait… / It usually takes few seconds to complete the update. If the update takes longer, we will notify you once it completes.”

So I waited. After about 3-4 days of seeing this message and not being able to use the phone app on that phone, it looked tits-up so I called support - I forget the specific issue, but it took about 40 minute of investigation and testing. I do have custom smartapps and device handlers, but I don’t remember if they were involved. This problem did not affect different phones, dashboard or Echo interfaces.

So yeah don’t do it on Friday if your phone is your main interface.

AHH YES I THINK the main fix in my case, was to blow away the phone Settings/ CloudAndAccounts/ Accounts/ myusername(SmartThings) . But the Support Guy may have re-initiated the phone account migration, I don’t know what all he was doing.

I have been running both apps for a while and my login has been migrated too. I have all devices shown in the new app but not all can be accessed though. I have a handful of customer handler devices cannot be edited or viewed even they are on the device list. Fortunately, my old app is still working.