Compatible DSC Panels with ST? And do I need an envisalink3?

In the process of building our new house where I am going to have a bunch of wired sensors for detecting window/door being opened (main and lower floor) along with window shattering and smoke detectors. It seems for alarm panel I can go with a DCS and I would need DSC IT-100/120 or do I need an envisalink3 (or both)?

Panel wise, what models of DSC panel are compatible with ST and whats the best way to educate myself about how the setup should be?

my low voltage guy can do all wiring to the panel, but I am not clear on how IT100/120 plays a role here?

id get the evl-3 because it has an open api and there are already scripts here that support it. the it100 doesn’t look special to me, i had the same issue and went with evl-3. it works great, is free, and has a lot of support.

do not get the dsc power series neo, get the dsc pc1864 if you can.

1 Like

There are a bunch of treads on Honeywell and DCS integration… Many are using EVL3 or other addons with alarmserver acting as the translator between panel and ST. It is a pretty complicated set up. Just search for ADT, Honeywell, DCS integration and you will find all of the many threads on it.

Thanks! Given all sensors terminate/go into the DSC panel, how does evl3 come into play and interact with the panel? sorry for the noob q, but I am trying to get my head around it before I go down the path.

I get the evl3 talks to the software server through LAN and from there software server talks to ST hub. I assume this setup would also allow monitoring service through ADT independent of the interaction of panel with ST, yes?

You should visit the eyezon forum for those answers. The evl3 has its own server you can access locally or via the eyezone website.

it is complicated, but once setup it work like charm. With this setup I got about 50 sensors for free saving around 2k

@Damien So I have not actually finished my install yet but I can tell you how it works. Envisalink is an add on to DCS or Honeywell panel that gives it network support (basically it acts like a virtual keypad). The company who makes it, called EyezOn has a web portal that allow you to set and control the system from any web portal (computer and phone). So basically the EVL is access to the outside allowing it to the talk to a remote server which you can then access from mobile devices and control.

To integrate ST, most people use a home computer (i am using a Raspberry PI) to run alarm server (replacing the need for EyzOn monitoring). Basically the panel talks to EVL, then EVL talks to the alarm server, and alarm server talks to ST. As far as I know there is not a good away to eliminate these “language” change steps.

Most folks are trying to eliminate ADT so I am nut if you can run panel> EVL> server> ST at same time as ADT.

Hey thanks a lot for this info as it is very useful and yea I would rather use a Rassberry Pi than a old computer sitting around spinning just to be the alarm server. One q on the Pi though (as I have a very limited knowledge about it); do you actually install the alarm server service/software on the Pi? any pointers to how-tos?

And yea, I would just probably use the EVL’s service ($8.99/mo) if I wanted a monitoring service. not ADT

@Damien No problem on the help. I like Raspberry as well… nice simple and easy without the issues of a full blown computer constantly needing updates. You are also correct the alarm server program runs on the raspberry using python. Here is are the string on how it is done:

Ok so I have a Vera Lite and it does not require a server to communicate with envisalink. So all i needed was the plugin and the envisalink. I ordered a smartthings 2 hub and looking to see how i will migrate my current system to it. I am curious as to why there is a need for the alarm server. Is it because there is no local access to the smartthings v.1 hub?

Anyone have an update for the new version of St? I have a default home monitoring panel now but doesn’t work with the dsc alarmserver switches.

Yeah, basically the v1 hub couldn’t create a socket connection to the Envisalink 3 card. I’m not sure if the v2 hub will enable that or not. Once the server is setup it’s pretty straight forward. Once I get the v2 hub I’m going to overhaul https://github.com/oehokie/SmartDSC and make the instructions a lot easier. The server can be installed on something like a Raspberry Pi ($~35, probably cheaper for the old model which would work).

To the best of my knowledge, it won’t. :cry:

Eh, not a big deal to me. I have a server running for other things anyways. Still going to overhaul my code though, been I while since I touched it

I’m still using arm and disarm via an edited version of alarmserver. If we could get this in python it would be great. I also run a rpi2 for alarmserver but must have arm and disarm function. I think mine is done by eethomasii

I have the Smartthings V2 hub and the Alarmserver running on Raspberry Pi with an Envisalink. For some reason I have to keep rebooting the Pi to keep it talking with Smartthings, anyone know why this is happening? Once rebooted it goes through all my sensors and resets them and I can see the activity in the smartthings app, than after a while it stops working, like the Pi froze up, not sure what happened.

At the very beginning mine would freeze up all the time. I think it was because I was overclocking the Raspberry Pi 2 given it stopped happening once I left it at default settings. Now I am running Raspbian Jessie with the latest firmware on Raspberry Pi 3 and it is rock solid. The only issue I occasionally run into is when power goes out briefly (I think) and it reboots but the alarmserver fails to restart. All I do to fix it is reboot it once again.

Below is a picture of the LCD screen showing the output of the AlarmServer. I can also SSH into it and see the same thing.

I tried one of those little LCD and it was just to hard to read so I end up hooking to home theater. Its was easier to read at 120 inches!