Cloud connector linking

We have devices and cloud servers.
We want to link our device to SmartThings using Cloud Connector.

1. I would like to know the essential support functions for each device when a device is linked with a cloud connector.
  2. I want to know which protocol to use for the video stream when connecting the camera with the cloud connector.
  3. Does SmartThings support the addition of sub-devices when linking the smart remote control?
  4. How do I show sub-devices in Discovery when linking my Smart Remote?
  5. Refresh and get status value is not available when adding devices controlled by IR. In this case, is it not possible to link?
    I couldn’t find the answer in the documentation.
    Waiting for the document location or your reply.

Welcome to the SmartThings Community, @MSJANG!
Is this related to the post made by @Jaesung?

1. The functionality depends on the device type, for common devices such as Switches and thermostats, you can create a Device Profile where you include the supported capabilities (take a look at the reference).
    Once you included those capabilities, you need to check which commands they support and add their handlers in your Schema Connector (that corresponds to the command interaction type).
  2. For special cases like the integration of a camera, there are some particular details to take into consideration, here are some of them:
    Capabilities Reference : VideoStream NO Video Codec and Audio Codec Information - #4 by nayelyz
    If you want to discuss more details, please send an email to build@smartthings.com.
  3. Do you mean having a parent device, in this case, the IR and separate devices that are controlled by it?
    You can create several devices using the same Schema Connector (to integrate to ST all the devices from your Cloud) and handle the correlation internally.
  4. In the discovery, you can add several devices, just make sure each one has its manufacturerName and modelName. For example:
.discoveryHandler((accessToken, response) => {
      const d = response.addDevice('externalDeviceId', 'deviceLabel', 'deviceProfile-id')
      const d2 = response.addDevice('externalDeviceId', 'deviceLabel', 'deviceProfile-id')
      const d3 = response.addDevice('externalDeviceId', 'deviceLabel', 'deviceProfile-id')

//Device manufacturer
      d.manufacturerName('xxx'); 
      d2.manufacturerName('xxx'); 
      d3.manufacturerName('xxx');
      //Device model
      d.modelName('xxx');  
      d2.modelName('xxx'); 
      d3.modelName('xxx');
    })
  1. So, you already installed an IR device? What do you mean by “refresh” and “get status”?

@nayelyz
Thanks for your reply.

I have additional questions.

1. We will link our camera to SmartThings. At this time, even if only the On/Off function is linked with SmartThings without a video stream from the camera, can the Cloud Connector be approved and published?

2. The 4th answer doesn’t seem to understand my question. This is related to the third question. The answer to question 3 is that there is a separate device controlled by IR. We can register a smart remote control and add sub-devices such as TV or fan from that device. Since these devices are controlled by IR, the status of the devices is unknown. Do you support the addition of sub-devices? Also, is it possible to link a device whose status is unknown by controlling it with IR to SmartThings?

1. No, you need to make the corresponding tests on your side first (this includes receiving the streaming in the device).
    When you make a Publish Request, the certification team tests your device as well and, if it doesn’t pass all of them, it will be rejected until you fix the issue (in this case, showing the streaming video).

2. Ok, let’s discuss this further.
    As I understand:

• You have a main device (the IR) that will be able to control several devices.
  • You want to add those devices in the same Schema Connector so, when the IR receives a command, you’re able to send it to the other devices
    Which commands would you send from the IR to the other devices? Please provide a list of what the IR would be able to control from the others.
  • But, those devices wouldn’t show any state in their details, so, what would you show?

Note: About controlling a TV, please take a look at this post. Currently, the TV capabilities are not working correctly, you would have to use custom ones but they are not accepted in the certification yet.

Remember you can also share the information by sending an email to build@smartthings.com to protect the privacy of your integration.

@nayelyz

1. In response to discovery, respond with a device whose category is camera and whose device handler type is c2c-switch. SmartThings can only control the power of the camera. You can watch the video stream in the manufacturer application without SmartThings.
    Is it correct that in this case it does not pass the test?

2. Not the same schema connector. This device is a set of universal remote controls. It is compatible with many types of devices that can be controlled by IR signals. You can add devices that can be controlled by IR signals from this device. Why do you have to indicate something in the details? You can only control.
    If there’s something you still don’t understand, please ask.

My question is still:
is it possible to link a device whose status is unknown by controlling it with IR to SmartThings?

1. I’m checking this situation with the corresponding team, I’ll let you know their comments.
  2. I understand you can’t show the current status of each device because controlled by the IR.
    • You mentioned you wanted to create the controlled devices as “sub-devices” of the IR once they’re linked to it, correct?
    • If you create them to appear in the ST mobile app as separate devices. When the user enters the device, do you want to show an empty page?
      • You could use buttons to show the interaction of the IR with those devices from ST, this wouldn’t show a status, it indicates that an event was received.

Can you give more details about what you want to present to the user that uses your integration? For example:

• When the user logins to your integration, the IR device (that was added using your application) will be created in his ST location.
    • Which capabilities would this device show? Eg. a series of buttons
  • If the user links the IR remote to an AC, and it can control the switch (on/off) and the device’s temperature (+,-) you can show three buttons on the separate device created (detail view), one for the switch, one for the + temperature and so on.
    When the user uses the IR buttons you would send that status from your Schema Connector to ST and it could include a push event to the corresponding buttons on both devices.

Note: Remember we can continue our conversation in private by DM here or sending an email to build@smartthings.com

1. OK, let me know what team comments when done checking.

2. sub-device are not the ultimate goal.
    details :

• Register one device in the manufacturer’s mobile app and one or more sub-devices for IR control.
  • IR control can be done from the manufacturer’s mobile app.
  • When a user registers a device in SmartThings, a sub-device for IR control is registered as a device.
  • In the IR control device, there is only a button for control, and it is impossible to check the status value.
  • The parent device (physical device that transmits IR signals) in the manufacturer’s mobile app does not need to be linked to SmartThings.

The team mentioned you can submit your publish request as a CST (Compatible with SmartThings) device.
If you want a WWST (Works With SmartThings), you would need to include all the corresponding video capabilities.

1. Oh, I think it’s clearer now.
    So, do you mean that if the user pairs a device (on the SmartThings side) that can be controlled by your IR, you want it to be accessible on your side so it can receive commands from it?
    The IR won’t need to be present on SmartThings because you won’t allow the control from our side, correct?

Yes, that’s right. Can I still get WWST in that case?

ok, we need to discuss more private details about your integration, so, please, send an email to build@smartthings.com including the URL of this post so it is easy to identify and we’ll continue our conversation through that channel.