Change icons in new app

How do I change icons for devices in the new app?

it is not possible

Feature request! Feature request!

3 Likes

Not possible yet. (Hopefully…)

Right now the only way is to create a new DTH and change the OCF metadata

1 Like

Unbelievable. Hundreds of icons in Classic, poorly executed and drawn icons in the New app, AND you can’t change them after setting up the device?

Who is the idiot Product Manager that decided people shouldn’t be able to change icons after setting up the device?

I just replaced two Honeywell plug-in lamp modules with two Honeywell built-in receptacles. Setting them up is so convoluted. You have to go to Add / Device / By Brand and choose the device. The stock icon on that page is a generic outlet – it does not show that I am controlling a lamp on the end table with the outlet.

I’ve got lots of ST devices installed, but software design decisions like this are so dismaying and have been going on for YEARS.

I just talked to Customer Support and the guy wasn’t very smart about ST - he had to do “research” to tell me I can’t change icons. I should have come here first.

Lastly – I’m changing out the plug-in module with the built-in outlet. It sure would be nice to transfer all the setup and automation from the old device to the functionally-equivalent new device. Doing this manually is a huge pain in the keister.

7 Likes

i found a rather weird work around. in the new app my temp sensor came up with a generic device icon when i first added it. i changed the DH to a thermostat i knew had a thermometer icon and updated. i opened in in the new app and the icon had changed to a thermometer. i then went back into the ide and changed it back to the original DH and updated. i reopened the new app and the icon is still a thermometer. maybe a handler has an icon similar to what you want, change the DH to that one, then switch it back?

To change the icon you must change the ocfDeviceType flag in the Metadata of the device handler.

Switching the DTH to something else will probably only work temporarily, when your app rebuilds the database such as during an update it will likely reflect the actual DTH’s icon again.

3 Likes

^^^^ This is correct

I figured this out playing with my fan it showed up as a light. If I switched it to zwave fan controller the icon changed. But I also lost some of the fine control it went to a 3 position switch. So I changed it back to the dimmer and will wait like everyone else.

Hopefully whatever changes they are making improve the integration with Alexa. I’ll ask to turn on the fan…It turns both the fan and light on. If I ask to turn on the light it turns just the light on.

Just dropping in to add to the requests for this to be fixed ASAP. It was highly functional in the old app and should be in the new one. Thank you!

1 Like

I added a new Leviton plug in dimmer and the icon is different than the icons of 3 other devices of the same model.
Seems strange that identical dimmers end up with different icons…

I agree that you should be able to select the icons like in the Classic app…

Same device handler assigned to all of them in IDE?

W.T.F. ??? What is wrong with the developers at Smartthings???

2 Likes

They have to listen to the developers at Samsung?

They are all set up as “Z-Wave Dimmer Switch Generic” - no custom device handler.

Change the device handler on the odd one…save and then change it back to the original device handler and save.

Thanks -
Tried that - no difference. I even deleted/excluded it and re-added it. Icon is always different.

1 Like

@ronczap, Dont worry you arent alone… after having had a stable system (by Smartthings standards :slight_smile: ) for years. I just bit my lip and migrated and it thinks half my Zigbee RGBW bulbs are switches or at least as far as icons go…

Can you please give us some example code for this or post a link to some? Thanks!

Search ofcDeviceType there is a list somewhere on this forum