Ceiling Fan/Light solution for ceiling fans with pull chains and no switch wiring? (2022)

I have been all over this forum, bond, and hue and have found no current simple solution which allows me to simply add a control module to 3 ceiling fans with no wall switch wiring with only pull chains.

I am not going the tasmota route as i don’t want to flash it myself as it is too much cost and time.

I have seen all the legacy links to products that no longer exist.

Requirements:

1. Either remote/control module or only control module
  2. Lights and Fan w/ dimming, and fan speeds
  3. State is in sync with smarthings and fully integrated
  4. Not to use alexa which does not keep state

The only thing left at home depot is the following:

Hampton Bay Universal Smart Hubspace Wi-Fi 4-Speed Ceiling Fan White Remote Control 76278 (homedepot.com)

This refers to Smart Hubspace not bond. All other homedepot universal remotes are no longer available with any bond integration that i can find.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the Q&A for this device it was answered that this device works with bond.

1 Like

I had the same issue with fan and light but no wall switch. I am using a remote control kit and module with Bond bridge. I just tucked the remotes away in a drawer after set up.

I have local integration of Bond with this edge driver.

I then added these remotes on the wall where switches would go using command strips and created routines to control the fan and light.

This is what they look like on the wall

1 Like

I saw that in the last thing I bought in the Q&A and it turned out not working. I have actually bought and tried several products :slight_smile:

I did not post before I read everything I could read and try to source every legacy link even ebay.

So unless someone can say they bought these and they work and include the bond-bridge function in the controller - and they are fully integrated - I will add it to the list.

Thanks for your reply

1 Like

Okay amazon only had two of these left remote/controller in stock and I need three. I bought the two to try out.

Couple of questions:

1. So you purchased a bond bridge as well to integrate these remotes and used the programming function of Bond to get it to work?
  2. Or do the controllers actually include the bond-bridge function in them?
  3. I have several of the Zooz ZEN77 controllers but was unaware of this version with the battery -
    a) I see you mounted two of them on the wall and then what looks like a regular dual face plate on
    them?
    b) How did you screw the regular faceplate in the wall? Did you use plastic anchors?
    c) Does dimming and speed control work on the switches or just on/off functionality?
  4. Does the Edge driver include the ability to use all three speeds including stop and dim LED lights as well? It says it does in the other thread just confirming it works with these fan control modules.

Thanks for the reply and links!

1. So you purchased a bond bridge as well to integrate these remotes and used the programming function of Bond to get it to work? Yes
  2. Or do the controllers actually include the bond-bridge function in them? No, they do not have bond built in
  3. I have several of the Zooz ZEN77 controllers but was unaware of this version with the battery - these have multitap functions so you could just use 1 remote for both fan and light but for ease of use with guests I got 1 for fan and 1 for light. to get local execution you’ll need to ask to be added to the Zooz beta channel here)
    a). I see you mounted two of them on the wall and then what looks like a regular dual face plate on them? Yes
    b) How did you screw the regular faceplate in the wall? Did you use plastic anchors? Each remote comes with a magnetic mounting plate. I stuck the plates to the wall with command strips then screwed the face plate to the magnetic mounting plates. No screws in the wall
    c) Does dimming and speed control work on the switches or just on/off functionality? You can do this a few ways, either program the fan speed to correspond with the number of presses or use advanced automations to create a cycle.
    I have ST routines for local on/off control. tap up 1x turn fan on, tap down 1x turn fan off. Same routines for the light.
    Then I use Sharptools rules engine (cloud based) and created a rule to cycle through speeds on double tap up. You may be able to do this with the Rules API but I haven’t figured out the Rules API yet
  4. Does the Edge driver include the ability to use all three speeds including stop and dim LED lights as well? It says it does in the other thread just confirming it works with these fan control modules. Fan has 3 speeds + off. I don’t have dimmable bulbs so never set up dimming in the Bond app. The remotes do allow for dimming. So for me, I only see on/off in ST.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Terrie thanks for all the help. Couple more questions:

1. I am assuming this is Stock DTH - Device Third Party Handler for ST?
  2. Does ST have an edge driver for either the ZEN77 or ZEN34?
  3. What is the best driver for support/compatibility?
    a) Custom DTH
    b) Custom Edge Driver
    c) Stock Edge Driver
    d) Stock DTH
  4. Are you integrating ST and Bond via the app or the Cloud?
    a) If via the app what version?
    b) If via the cloud what version ST Hub V3?
  5. Did you use the [ST Edge] Local Bond Bridge Edge Driver [BETA] for this integration?
    [ST Edge] Bond Bridge LAN [BETA]
  6. Will this ZEN34 switch work with just the remote that you mention have above or will it also work the with the older Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller - #33 by dalec zigbee fan controller as well?
  7. What firmware version are you using on the ZEN34? v1.30 or 1.40?

Thanks,

Troy

This is the only local integration that works offline. There is also a ST platform integration that is cloud connected. The edge version supports more features than the cloud version for fan/light combos.

1 Like

The zen switch is zwave. The fan controller is Zigbee. They don’t have any direct communication to each other, each is communicating separately with the smartthings/aeotec hub. So the switch can be used with any device which also communicates with the smartthings hub, regardless of protocol, because it’s an intermediary system. For that matter, it could also work with a Wi-Fi device for the fan, because the switch talks to the smartthings account and the smartthings account talks to the fan. So there’s no issue with the protocol as long as you can put both in a smartthings routine. :sunglasses: