Carrier Ductless Mini-Splits w/ Wifi (Carrier CliMate app)

Carrier makes a wifi device that plugs into their minisplit HVAC units (ductless AC/Heat).

The wifi device is: KSAIF0301AAA
Link to the PDF manuals about the device available here:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Carrier-KSAIF0401AAA-Wi-Fi-Interface-Kit-for-Ductless-Systems
The air handles I have are from the 38MGR36 series Carrier units

The app is Carrier Climate, with pretty limited functionality, which is why I am thinking a smartthings integration would go really far especially with WebCORE or things like that!

Anyone know of any device handler, at least, that is able to integrate these units into SmartThings?

1 Like

Any luck with this? Curious… how do you like your Carrier system? It’s the same one we are currently looking at (also in Ohio).

So far, not a lot of good luck.

Apparently Sensibo previously had a relationship w/ Carrier, and they made these slick devices that would be inserted right into the power connectors at the controller. Super easy to install and they were wifi connected and worked w/ Sensibo.

P/N:
SEN-INS-CAR-0805 for high-wall minisplit units (40MAQ)
SEN-INS-CAR-01 for ducted (40MBD)

I cannot find the 805’s in stock anywhere, seem to be fully discontinued. I was able to find a -01 for my ductless, and ordered it - should be here in a few weeks.

Carrier replaced the sensibo devices with a new usb-stick type device (also wifi), that works w/ the carrier app. The carrier app is complete trash from everything I’ve read and played with on iOS, and therefore I don’t really even want to entertain it.

As of now, I’m going with the -01 sensibo for ductless, and I’ll probably use some IR solution from Sensibo for the high-wall units in each room unfortunately. Sensibo has some unofficial integrations for ST so I think at least that will cover me even though It’s not my preferred method.

Thanks. It looks like we’re going to be doing a ducted coil in the basement and one in the attic that tie to the 38MGR. I read that you can get the USB dongle to access from your phone (which I’m hoping to do since I want it to adjust based on presence)

Sorry, I said ductless for 40MBD, that’s actually DUCTED.

SEN-INS-CAR-01 for ducted (40MBD)

You can get the USB dongle but must use the Carrier app, instead of the Sensibo app, it’s much less feature-rich and I’m not sure if it connects to ST or not - which is why I’m avoiding that one.

oh now I understand. Thanks for the part number! ebay has them for $35. I like that price vs the 20k I’m about to invest lol

Yea the -01 is available a few places and ebay. The -805 is nowhere to be found though…

I see I am not the only person dealing with this same headache. I have Carrier ducted units, cassettes, and wall mounts. I have been able to get the Sensibos for the cassettes and the ducted but the wall mounts same deal the -805 (-03?) seem to be MIA. I had my HVAC guy go to the Carrier distributor and they said “discontinued” for that model. I do like the Sensibo app and it works great for the units I have. I am debating on getting the universal Sensibo model for my wall mounts, but much higher cost than the ~$30 for the inside units.

As an update, I called about 20 places. Call these guys, they have a few left of the -805s!

623-388-5100
You will need to tell them you’re a business probably, it’s a distributor.

They work flawlessly on the 40MAQs that I have so far. To me, way better than mounting another thing on my wall with batteries!

Cost was 78.53 each + shipping, but worth it to me.

I should add, they work flawlessly ON THE SENSIBO APP. They do not work at all with smartthings, even with the custom device handler and app that’s out there on the forum. I can’t seem to get it to consistently report any data.

Awesome dude. Thanks for that. I just got off the phone with them and have one enroute.

I’m about ready to order the Sensibo for my ducted systems. They did the install last week but the app was reading the temperature at the Unit. They came out and realized that the WiFi device (Carrier’s adapter for Ducted Unit’s looks like a tap light) does not have a thermostat built in to it. So they installed a thermostat in the living areas and relocated the WiFi units.
It STILL appears that the temperature in the app is reading the from the Unit (one in the basement and one in the attic) and not the Thermostats in the living area.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Sensibo devices pickup the temperature from the Thermostats in the living area and also stay in sync with them (vs the Carrier product which has some odd “Follow Me” feature that is still unclear.) There are also handheld remotes that appear to be pointless because the IR receivers are attached to the base baseunits in the basement/attic.

For the ducted units, I understand the handheld remotes follow me mode requires IR line of sight and pings the living area temp every X minutes. So clearly if the ducted unit IR sensor is in a closet, it’s not going to do anything.

The sensibo device (at least mine) is installed at the unit itself, and it reads through temp locally. It is therefore not right most of the time which is frustrating. Sensibo told me to set an offset on the web view. Unfortunately the offset isn’t a great solution, especially because it’s opposite in cool vs heat mode.

The inside sensibo device is still far better than anything else I’ve found for ducted units. But it’s far from perfect as well. I am hoping I can get the SMARTTHINGS DH/SmartApp to work. Then I can use website to do some proper control ideally…

Any idea who has Sensibo SEN-INS-CAR-01 (for ducted mini-split) in stock? I can’t find anyone online that has it in stock.

Otherwise the only other option I understand to add wifi capability would be to get KSAIF0401AAA (whcih has Wifi Translator part & USB dongle)

I have been searching and cannot find it. It was on ebay but all gone. It will be difficult to find because it was discontinued. I have the 40MBDQ ducted unit and wanted to purchase it. I have the carrier usb stick but it is so bad. Most times it loses connection then I have to go to the attic to reset it.

You have to set the thermostat to follow me settings. The unit will then read the temp from it. Strange that they did not originally install the thermostat since it comes with the unit. My unit is the 40MBDQ and they installed the KSACN0501AAA wired remote.

I got mine from here; https://www.ebay.com/itm/274141603342?ul_noapp=true - looks OOS but you could try messaging them. If you’re lucky you can also try these guys they may have some; 623-388-5100.

Both of these sensibo devices work great with the sensibo app. My largest gripe is that the sensibo is in the closet w/ the ducted unit, which is a good 10F colder than the rooms it is cooling, so it makes it pretty tough to control reasonably. The Sensibo app does allow an offset but I find it doesn’t do what you expect - and since the offset would ideally be variable, it’s a crappy solution. I may try to extend the sensibo into the nearest room or something, but it won’t be pretty…

And actually, I feel like the offset doesn’t actually change the operation of the unit - it just displays something else to the user. not sure there yet. But I’d expect to see fan speeds go up based on the calibrated number, and they don’t…

I actually reached out to that seller before. They are gone and the supplier has no more. I am now leaning to the carrier solution. I did not realize it has a 7 day program unlike the wired thermostat the unit came with.

Carrier’s ducted units (40MBD residential and 40MBDQ commercial) are made by Midea (MEHSU and MEU models respectively). Carrier and Midea announced a joint venture in 2017, around the time when these units were bought to the market.

I got the Senville brand ducted system installed in my Attic to supply my second floor last year. I concluded that all the off brand concealed duct units are just the rebranded Midea models.
I am getting a second unit for the main floor, replacing the rest of my HVAC (furnance+A/C) in the basement so again I am looking for some Smartthings integration.

I tried to reach out to Sensibo, they said their kit is discontinued. I went to a Carrier Enterprise storefront and spoke to a regional (Northeast) agent they referred me to, again they said it’s gone.

On a long shot, I got the Carrier/Midea wifi kit (KSAIF0401AAA) on EBay and after giving up a few times struggling to have it connect to my WiFi in the app, it worked. The kit connects to the CN40 port meant for the 7 Day programmable wired controller (KSACN0501AAA). The ducted unit I got came with the basic controller (KSACN0101AAA) that had it’s own port.
After my wife kept complaining how she doesn’t want to see this ugly controller, I ordered the programmable controller, which connects to the WiFi controller.
The basic controller does not sync with the WiFi controller (being on a different port and all) so get the programmable controller to have the app show when someone changes the temp or mode by hand, and vice-a-versa.
The app will show the temp at the WiFi kit I believe (maybe the duct unit itself), so you won’t know the exact temp of the room (what shows up on the wired controller). Not a big deal for me, given I expect 5F hotter in the attic than room temp and it will probably be 5F colder in the basement.

I am using the Midea Air app, not the Carrier one. They use the same backend, even down to the account management (same log in for both apps).
I remember trying the Carrier app and found it to be worse or same, so stuck to Midea.
Midea updated their app UI since last year, but the overall app is still subpar. The scheduling feature seems to work ok. The app throws me to the log in screen when it’s put to sleep or killed, but it’s the best I got so far.

There is Midea Air to Google Home integration, but I always got “Not responding” status, and voice commands respond with Not-Available, so it was a dead end.
I just tried setting it up from scratch and it seems like it works, but when I ask for the temp it says (set 160, current 169) when I have it at (set 71, current 76), so obviously C to F mismatch for status. The temp set command works correctly (given 69F, sets 69F on app). The Fan speed and Mode status seem to work as well. That’s the best I got so far.

Hopefully someone with experience building Smartthings device handlers gets a Midea product soon… I haven’t analyzed the app traffic but I would guess it’s very basic.

Is the usb stick thing you’re talking about- KSAIF0301AAA?

I’m still trying to get a SEN-INS-CAR-0805 and it’s proving impossible. Wondering what my next step of action is for my 40MAQ. Thoughts?

The wifi kit I used contained the USB Wi-Fi stick (probably identical to the ductless wifi kit KSAIF0301AAA), a controller hub that you plug the USB stick which goes between the programmable controller and the indoor unit, and remote.

40MAQ is the ductless model, which includes the controller hub so you should have the USB slot behind the face door.
My ductless senville units came with the USB stick to plug to the unit.

Use the Midea Air app to add the unit. Make sure the unit is in AP mode.
I got a second Midea Ducted unit in the basement now 2 senville ductless units all available on the Midea app and on Google Home.