SmartThings and Air Conditioners?

I’m about to buy an air conditioning system and would like a system that integrates well with SmartThings. I’ve been looking at Samsungs & Daikin’s website and noticed they have WiFi-enabled products. Any idea whether this will integrate with my SmartThings hub?

1 Like

Are you talking about a central air system? If so, generally the point of integration is the thermostat. For most systems, you can use the thermostat of your choice. You can search the forums here for thermostat experience to get a feel for which are the best in terms of ST integration. Some high-end HVAC systems require proprietary thermostats and may present a problem for integration in ST. Most do not, however. Just something to be aware of when you are shopping.

Thanks. I am shopping for a split system with one external unit and five internal units. Ideally, I want to control the units in each room with SmartThings. Thought connecting via WiFi would be the most straightforward and cheap solution. I will explore the option to add a Nest thermostat or ST-compatible thermostat in every room.

OK. This is not a ‘central’ system in conventional terms (one outdoor unit, one indoor unit, ducted to each room). I don’t know much about the system you are describing. Maybe others here do . . . .

EDIT: I did check the ‘works with SmartThings’ list and I don’t see any mini-split indoor units listed there. However, if it is wifi and has a published API, it can be integrated with the use of some custom code.

If you’re just looking for a window unit, the Quirky Wink Aros has been integrated into SmartThings. Look up the following:

Also check out Tado: https://www.tado.com/en/

At CES2015, we showed an integration of a Samsung air conditioner with SmartThings! image here , so I know it certainly works! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sensibo might offer some connectivity but it pre-release at the moment.

Working at a trade show demo isn’t the same thing as working in the home today.

What Samsung has been demo’ing since the fall is a “coming soon” integration between SmartThings and Samsung smart appliances. It is not yet available.

Here’s what you see at the tradeshow set up, which does include a Samsung air conditioner:

But check the details from CES 2015, and you’ll see that Samsung Smart Appliances integration is a “coming soon” feature under "New Integrations on the Open Platform:

It’s like the new ST hub and the new presence sensor. You can see one in a nice box at the trade show, but it doesn’t mean you can buy it today.

JD you are theoretically correct, if you were in the US market. So it does interface via SHP, however that air conditioner is only in Asia’s market at this time. (just like the robot vacuum). Technically, it is available.

Wow. :unamused: Just wow.

OK, that answer convinced me, I’m going to look for a different platform. I need solution-oriented support with answers that work for the typical US consumer. A global perspective is great, but as the new adage goes, “All home automation is local.” :wink:

Part of the Samsung acquisition is that they want to integrate all of their “smart” appliances on to the SmartThings platform. Their air conditioners, their fridges, their vacuums, etc. This is a good thing! This doesn’t take resources away from our core US team but adds functionality as these devices come to the US market (or become available at all in some cases).

The Samsung appliance demos at CES (and SDC) were just that - demos. The message isn’t that you can go to your favorite appliance store right now and pick up a Samsung branded device that works out of the box with SmartThings. That’s certainly coming - but right now the message is that Samsung is committing in a huge way to SmartThings as the open platform for connected devices.

As far as the original question, you’d usually interface with an air conditioner via one of two methods:

1. A wireless thermostat. These can be Z-Wave thermostats, ZigBee thermostats, or WiFi thermostats (community supported, official support coming soon).
  2. A controllable outlet (for smaller units or window AC units).

Take a look at our full list of compatible devices here:

Getting back to the original question, the best way to integrate a split system into Smartthings is to purchase a split system that has 24V thermostat control out of the box. I believe there is only one manufacturer of mini-split systems that offers native 24v thermostat control, and that’s EMI - Enviromaster.

http://www.enviromaster.com/faq.asp

Their systems will work with any ST-supported z-wave, zigbee, or wifi thermostat.

Didn’t I see an IR blaster solution out there somewhere.

Love that actually :smile:

We have a community integration with the Quirky Window AC that hasn’t been published yet.

https://www.quirky.com/shop/752

I have Mitsubishi Split Systems, three outside, 5 inside.

I use the zxt-120 ir sender to control them. I have heavily modified this device type to work correctly and I have written a few smart apps to manage the systems.

The only negative is it’s obviously a one way integration. The split systems can’t report their current status to me so I have to reply on sending ir signals and having them work.

For example I have a smart app which reports if the room is too hot or too humid. If either I currently have it sending me a notification and then I turn on the units using the device (things) interface. I plan to modify the alerts to simply send the signal to turn on AC when too hot and turn on Dry mode when too humid.

I can see they are working when the temp/humidity starts going down. I can always send a second or third ir signal since they are discreet so if it’s already enabled additional signals don’t hurt.

Since you are just in the market fully integrated would be nice but if you decide to buy a system without an interface as long as the remotes send IR signals you might be all set. So not you have three options 1) Fully integrated, 2) Managed through thermostat , 3) Managed using remote ir commands.

I think that’s the same famously bad air conditioner unit. I wouldn’t recommend this. :slight_smile: http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Aros-Smart-Window-Conditioner/dp/B00IDXGIAC#customerReviews

Not to mention, window unit air conditioners are famously inefficient. Even a “smart” one can’t beat physics.

1 Like

This is really helpful, thanks! An eventual networked air conditioner is one of my future projects, and this definitely looks worth checking into.

@Tyler’s suggestion of a controllable switch for a window unit is also good for some situations, especially renters, although that doesn’t give you thermostat control, just an on/off switch. So I would save that one more for when there’s an existing window air conditioner installation and you just want to turn it on before you get home, and make any adjustments manually after you arrive. Remote control of a dumb air conditioner, but that’s all some people need.

Hi Ron, is this something that you are willing to share? I have fujitsu splitters, and bought one zxt-120… but I can’t make it work.