Can I use old Zigbee DTH for new hub (2018)?

Hi,
I see there is a new Smartthings hub (2018) which can be controlled with the new Samsung Connect app. I wanted to ask if it was still possible to publish my ZigBee DTH from the old Smartthings hub in this new setup?

So I got the message “Can’t connect to device.” What causes this, and how can I fix this?

Talk to SmartThings support and ask them to update the app. It’s pretty much all you can do other than run the SmartThings classic app.

The new app had some very big limitations currently. Most custom DTH do not have needed info for the new app to know how to use the device, and so the new app kind of falls on its face accessing them. Even worse is that it isn’t officially documented yet. There is a thread on here that discusses some work around to help make custom DTH work. The problem with that work around is that it isn’t specific to the device and some things are missing from the new app when they are implemented. I will try to find the thread and post a link here.

Custom device type handlers in new app

I tried adding the fix from the thread shown below. I resigned into my Samsung Connect app, but my device still shows the same error. Why might the fix not work?

mnmn: “SmartThings”, vid:“generic-switch”

Open the device in the Classic app, click the cog in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and click on save. Then force quit the new app and open it back up.

@jkp Thanks. So I noticed that none of my tiles (e.g. battery, refresh) showed up on the new app. Neither did my preferences show up. How can I fix this?

Don’t believe there is anything you can do at this point. tagging @Automated_House

@cookierookie44 can you post a screen shot of the device from both the new app and classic app so we can compare?

Is it a shade handler? Generic-shade or generic-dimmer May get you closer.

I believe he wants the additional capabilities such as battery percentage and the refresh button.

I set it as generic-switch.

These are my capabilities and attributes

capability "Actuator"
    capability "Configuration"
    capability "Refresh"
    capability "Switch"
    capability "Health Check"
    capability "Battery"
    capability "Switch Level"

attribute("replay", "enum")
    attribute("battLife", "enum")

yeah, i don’t know of a vid currently that supports switch, switch level and battery. the closest you will get is generic-dimmer, which has switch and switch level

Why would it matter what the vid supports? In the old ST app, I could add any tile, attributes, etc. I wanted without a problem even though the whole setup was type: switch. Shouldn’t this be similar to the way the new ST app works?

My goal is to show the same stuff from the old ST app in the new app. For example, my multipurpose could do this as shown below.

It matters because that appears what the new app uses for the UI. Hopefully more details will come at SDC in November.

1 Like