[BROKEN] NST Manager v5.0 (Does Not Work Anymore)

Ok - back to the product ID and secret issue. thank you again!!!

IMG_3045

Is there a fix for Null remote temperature device due to simulated temp device

Hi,

Are those token issues solved? I’m wondering if I should buy a Nest or an Ecobee…

The Nest looks like a pain to pair with the hub given the auth tokens shortage and the added steps to get some tokens.

Just trying to figure out what’s best for me.

Success! Was in the wrong shard…

This morning, after almost two weeks of no issues, NST Manager sent my Nest into a tizzy of confusion over its home / away status. After reviewing logs and notifications, I realized it was totally my fault, but it’s left me wondering if my I’m following “best practices” with the way I have things set up, and - if anyone’s up to it - some feedback would be really appreciated.

My goal is pretty simple: Use NST Manager to handle setting my Nest’s home / away mode based on my iPhone’s location, because the Nest app seems less consistent / reliable than the ST app’s geofencing feature. Also, I don’t want a bunch of apps running in the background with “always on” location services to drain my phone’s battery that much more quickly.

Despite my shortcomings with the Nest app, I wanted to keep my options open, so I have Nest Home/Away Assist set to use my iPhone location, but normally keep the Nest app closed and not running in background on my iPhone.

To set my Home/Away status in ST, I use two ST routines that automatically perform on the “someone arrives” / “everyone leaves” conditions that only use my iPhone as a ST location sensor device. Each of these routines set the ST hub’s mode to Home / Away respectively, with no limiting conditions such as “on these days”, etc. I leave my ST iPhone app running in the background to make sure the “someone arrives” / “everyone leaves” conditions happen in a timely manner, and with notifications turned on, I have confirmed they have been working without fail for a couple of weeks.

In NST Manager, I set up the Mode Automation to use my ST hub’s Home & Away modes to set the Nest presence. Because I initially experienced some strange behavior by letting the NST Manager Mode Automation set my Nest’s ECO mode, I turned it off in the automation, and left on the option on my Nest to automatically set it to ECO mode when Nest presence is “Away”.

This had been working just fine until today, when I exited my ST geofence area on the way to work. The “Goodbye!” ST routine ran as normal, setting my ST hub’s mode to Away, and in turn NST Manager’s Mode Automation set the Nest presence to Away. Then a minute later, I noticed a notification that my ST hub’s mode had changed to Home, which was followed by a notification that the ST Home mode had triggered Nest presence to be set to Home. Not thinking straight, I tried changing to Away in NST Manager, and then I got repeated messages that the ST Home mode had triggered Nest presence to Home.

After I got to work, I manually ran my ST “Goodbye!” routine to make sure the ST mode was set to Away, but now I was getting Nest Manager API command failure errors because being blocked by a 429 status code - which is a “too many requests” error put into place by Nest to make sure Works with Nest products aren’t exceeding their data rate limits for 3rd party API calls that could lead to a poor user experience. Anyhow, this lead to numerous messages that the ST away mode triggered my Nest’s presence to away, and warnings that it wasn’t in ECO mode (presumably because of the API commands being blocked. I had to disable the NST Manager’s Mode Automation to stop the looping cycle of notifications and warnings, and use my Nest app to set my Nest to away with ECO on.

This whole series of events was caused by another ST routine that I set up to simply change my ST hub’s mode to home at sunrise, which was originally intended to help turn off my front door’s smart lock alarm. But today, sunrise happened just one minute after I exited my geofence. Didn’t think of that, and the mess it would cause!

I’ve removed that routine, but I’m wondering: Is it a bad idea in my Nest app to keep Home/Away assist enabled based on my iPhone’s location? And what about using the Nest app to set ECO mode rather than via NST Manager?

1 Like

I primarily use NST Manager to set my Nest to Home / Away and to view my cameras in ActionTiles.

As for ECO Mode, I leave that to the Nest side when Away. Others are using it successfully though from inside NST Manager.

To make this short, are you located in the US or the UK? I’m asking this because there is an open thread with some weird Mode stuff going on, seeming to primarily affected those on the eu shard and one person from Canada. It’s many people either having Modes automatically changing or Routines and Pistons ignoring Modes. Here’s one of the many threads on this topic just so you are aware:

I’m in the US, on shard graph-na04-useast2.

I know my whole mess this morning was caused by those two routines that got the mode change out of sequence. Without looking too deeply into my logs, I’m sure it led to a “fight” between home and away modes with NST Manager caught in the middle.

I skimmed through that thread - sounds nightmarish - hope it’s resolved soon.

Thanks for the help!

As for your statement about Nest GPS not being reliable, I never had an issue with that through Nest. As far as Presence on the SmartThings, I’m one of the minority of people who have never had an issue with the Geofence / GPS on my phone, so I like you arm/disarm my home based on presence and I set my Nest Mode using NST Manager so that ST and Nest stay in sync from a routines perspective.

On another note, being able to view all 5 of my cameras through panels on ActionTiles is a beautiful thing. I hardly ever use the ST Mobile app for anything other than configuration.

2 Likes

Just bought myself the Nest,
Trying to install this awesome app and im getting the “oops, we have encountered an error” whilst trying to log in.

I’ve made sure everything was installed correctly. enabled the OAuth and entered the secret codes for clientID and clientsecret.

What am i doing wrong?
Thanks

Did you look at the Troubleshooting steps at the bottom of the PDF and verify everything? One space before or after or a misspelling of the OAuth callback link will result in the oops…

I did all of that mate. Been at this for hours. I managed to find a pdf on how to create your own token and secret codes. managed to log in when i did that but i cant see the device within smartthings. Im going crazy here, :frowning:

Send the following screenshots from your Nest Developer account:

1. Overview of the account. Do not include the Product id / product secret section in the screenshot. Everything above that.

2. A screenshot of the permissions. Select the overview drop-down and then permissions

Ok, now its magically apperared. No idea how that happened.
Very overwhelmed with this app, you can do so much.
All i really want is to be able to have my heating go to a low level when we all leave, and have it come back on when i ( or my wife ) is about a mile out from our home.

Can this be done?
Thanks

You can, but you need to read the documentation. It’s your best friend.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=NST_Manager#NST_Automations_App

And look for Thermostat Automations and schedules you can create based on Mode. :slight_smile:

@jjmucker If you were to create the Nest Mode Automation that when SmartThings goes into Away Mode, it automatically sets your Nest to Away as well. And then in the Nest Application, when set to Away you could have it go into Eco Mode versus setting a specific temperature. But you will need to read up on the Nest side for the Product settings in that App.

So from our conversation the other day, you can now see the importance of setting both the SHM and the Mode together in Routinesband how they play an even bigger part across the board within ST and other SmartApps such as NST Manager :slight_smile:

I’ll have a good read through mate.
Im wanting the heating to switch to a low temp when going into night mode and i see some options for this.

Going into away mode is great, but what i want ( not sure if you can do this ) is have it switch back on when im like a mile out or so. Through the native nest app, it only switches on as i arrive home, right at the front door, which is pointless as it takes time to heat the house.

You aren’t going to be able to do that from within NST Manager when you are a mile out, unless your Geofence area in ST is set to that wide of a circle and you have a Routine run that sets your Mode to Home.

NST Manager will allow you to set schedules based on time, or based on Modes. For Modes it simply is using what SmartThings is reporting.

To start you could simply do this until you have that fully understood:

1. setup your Geofence for a wider area that covers a mile or so.

2. Create (I’m guessing you already have this setup) Routines for Leaving and Arriving.

• Leaving when everyone leaves, Set SHM to Armed and mode to Away
  • Arriving when someone arrives, set SHM to Disarmed and mode to Home

Setup in NST Manager the Nest Mode Automation to set Nest to Away when ST is away and set Nest to Home when ST is Home.

Setup in Nest Application when Nest is set to Away, go into Eco Mode and when Home, not in Eco Mode.

So now this is how things would run:

1. When your Leaving Routine runs it arms the system and sets mode to Away

2. Nest Manager sees that ST is set to Away, so it sends Away to your Nest system and Nest automatically goes into Away.

3. Nest will then automatically go into Eco Mode

4. When the Arriving Routine runs, it will disarm ST and set mode to Home

5. Nest Manager will see this and send Home to your Nest system

6. Nest will automatically take the TStat out of Eco Mode

That’s a good starting point. After you have this all understood, you can get more creative and then add TStat schedules in NST Manager and not use Eco Mode in Nest. Just a recommendation so you understand the process from ST to NST Manager to Nest and how all 3 are talking together.

1 Like

Hi buddy. thanks for that.
I had a feeling that was the case. I dont really want to have my radius a mile out, for security reasons but i also understand now that this is the only way to have nest switch on the heating based on my modes. Also surprised that the actual nest native app doesnt allow for a larger radius. that would sort it.

I guess i was expecting the world. pity really.

Someday all will be possible.

Here’s what you could do:

1. Forget the Nest Mode Automation for now (Nest can remain in Home Mode while you are gone)
  2. Create a New Mode called Warmup (have to do this in IDE)
  3. Create a Routine that is just a manual Routine that sets the Mode to Warm up
  4. Create a NST Manager Thermostat Automation with a schedule of running when Mode is WarmUp with your Heat Setpoint up higher than current temp.
  5. Create a Widget on your phone for Routine Warmup and when you are a couple of miles from home, press it. It will change your Mode to Warm up (SHM is still armed), and NST Manager will run the Automation and set the thermostat to the desired temp and if the current temp is lower than the Setpoint you defined it will turn the heat on.

Then have another NST Automation created for Home Mode with a specific Heat / Cool Setpoint.

1 Like