Battery powered z-wave rocker remote

(Andrew Schwartz) #1

Hi! I’m looking for a z-wave compatible remote that is battery operated, decora rocker style. I’ve found an Insteon part that is perfect, but the wrong protocol:

I’ve also come across a Cooper remote, which is z-wave, but isn’t quite the look I’m going for (won’t blend in as well with standard Levitib rocker switches):

Can anyone point me toward a battery powered z-wave remote that looks like the Insteon part above?

Thanks!

There aren’t any exactly like that. The two closest would be the Cooper zwave in the rectangular “decorator” style, the RF 9575:

The Cooper switch that you linked to is the same device but in their “designer” style, which has the curve.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/products/documents/spec_sheets2/Anyplace_switch_specsheet.pdf

Or the Lutron pico, Although if you use the official SmartThings/Lutron integration, the Picos are invisible to SmartThings, so they can only be used as a virtual three-way with the Lutron Caseta master switch.

There are a number of other battery powered devices, some designed for wallmount, which work well with SmartThings, but they have very different form factors from a traditional rocker switch:

(Andrew Schwartz) #3

Thanks. Are there any Z-Wave + Insteon converters that I can use for this purpose? Or a Z-Wave + Insteon hub perhaps?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, there are some community members who have created a SmartThings to Insteon integration by using an additional server as a “man in the middle” bridge but you’re adding an additional layer of complexity and expense and I don’t know anyone who would do that unless they already had a bunch of insteon devices installed.

If you’re willing to run an Insteon hub and a smartthings hub (again, more cost, more complexity) you can use stringify to stitch them together for some purposes, something like IFTTT, but again, I don’t know anyone who would do that unless they already had Insteon installed.

Most of the people that I know who want to use both Z wave and insteon don’t use SmartThings. They either use homeseer or indigo. But both will require more technical expertise than a SmartThings-based set up, and the homeseer option will cost considerably more.

https://www.indigodomo.com/devices/

If you really like the Insteon devices, I’d just go with Insteon for everything. It would be a lot simpler.

(Andrew Schwartz) #5

Thanks for the insights. Perhaps I should explain what I’m trying to accomplish.

I have an existing non-smart Leviton dimmer in a 1 gang box. It is stand alone (not 3-way or 4-way).

I want to add another switch on the other side of the room. It will have to be battery powered to avoid opening up walls to add a new 1 gang box.

The only battery powered remote dimmer that I’ve found that looks the way I want is the Insteon.

I would go all-in Insteon on both sides, but unfortunately I can’t seem to find a hard wired Insteon rocker dinner (like the Homeseer HS-wd100+ but with Insteon).

Am I right that the only battery powered remote switch that has the look I’m going for is Insteon and the only smart hard wired dimmer rockers are Z-Wave? Am I missing some product? (Insteon, Z-Wave or something else entirely?)

Sorry, I’m confused. Insteon’s standard wired dimmer switch is a rocker switch. You press at the top for on and at the bottom for off.

(Andrew Schwartz) #8

No, you’re not confused. I’m confused. I don’t know how I missed it on Insteon’s website.

Sorry, and thank you!

(Andrew Schwartz) #9

Sounds like there are three options that I’ll end up using depending on the situation.

Existing 3-way or 4-way wiring: Homeseer HS-WA100+

Want to add an accessory switch to a gang box that has power but no traveler wire? GoControl WT00Z-1 (or WT00Z5-1)

Add a switch to a location with no existing gang box: Insteon Mini Remote

There’s also some GE/Jason stuff but it doesn’t seem like it adds any flexibility over and above the Zhoneseer, though the price point is lower.

Any options I’ve missed?

One and two work fine with SmartThings.

There’s no integration between insteon and SmartThings, so if you want to use the Insteon mini remote you need an insteon hub as well and we’re right back to the first post of this thread.

If you’re just looking for wired Switch devices to use with SmartThings, there are a lot of options.

See the following thread. The light switches discussion starts around post 40.

And again, if you’re looking for battery powered options to use with smartthings, see that FAQ