Automating existing outdoor motion sensor with relay

I currently have an existing outdoor motion sensor that supplies power to my outdoor light with a red wire. I’m attempting to automate the sensor by connecting the red wire to an Enerwave ZWN-RSM2-PLUS dual relay. The idea was that when the motion sensor detects motion it would appear as a switch toggle to the relay at which point I could choose to do whatever I want.

The problem I’m running into is that the ZWN-RSM2-PLUS does not give real-time updates to SmartThings when a switch is manually toggled. I’ve been through every device handler/configuration I can find, but in the end nothing shows up in the Developer “Log” when a switch is toggled, so I’m about to give up. It seems like it may be a ZWN-RSM2-PLUS vs ZWN-RSM2 issue.

Are there any other devices proven to handle this scenario, where I can get a real time trigger when 120V is detected on a wire? Do any 3-way switches accept a 120V traveler and allow you to separately monitor it independently?

Check this thread… FAQ: Do you know of an outdoor motion sensor?

1 Like

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Aeon Micro Switch may be a possibility, but it’s not Z-Wave Plus. If I’m going to buy something new I would rather it be Z-Wave Plus. Are there any Z-Wave Plus solutions available?

I resolved my issue with the Enerwave ZWN-RSM2-PLUS and was able to get instant status updates working using the following code:

def configure() {
log.debug "configure() called"
def cmds = []
cmds << zwave.configurationV2.configurationSet(parameterNumber:3, size:1, configurationValue:[1]).format()
cmds << zwave.associationV2.associationSet(groupingIdentifier:2, nodeId:[zwaveHubNodeId]).format()
cmds << zwave.associationV2.associationSet(groupingIdentifier:3, nodeId:[zwaveHubNodeId]).format()
delayBetween(cmds, 2000)
}

1 Like