[OBSOLETE] Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 (v1 & v2) & RSM2-Plus —Smart Dual Relay Switch Module

I’ll have to find the wiring diagram I’m following, but basically switch 1 provides power, the load wire from 1 then goes to the common wire on switch 2 which is a three way switch for high low control with one travel going to each. The three way switch will only power one traveler at a time. It’s been too hot to install, but we’re getting to the end of August so I’ll most likely install in the next few weeks. I think at this point I’m going to start with switch 1 being a GE smart switch and switch 2 being a standard dumb 3-way (I have a feeling I will most likely only use one or the other speed) and if I find I am often wanting the speed to change I’ll look at changing to a smart 3way.

Here’s an extremely crude drawing that I just found with a quick search but this is the basic premise…

That diagram should work well with a GE Smart switch and a dumb 3 way as you describe. I’m thinking I will use the two speeds a lot. Hi speed for 1-2 hours in the evening to get the large cool down and then low during the night for xx amt of hours until the temp gets to a certain point or a certain amount of hours go by, and the smart system can just turn it off automatically.

I just put together my diagram below as I could not find anything online that matches. It is a single gang box solution as the Enerwave unit, as you know, is small enough to go behind the dumb on/off/low toggle switch. To create a fail-safe if (when- LOL) both of the Enerwave relay’s are turned on at once, there is a simple relay added for the low side (just because it has a lower amp draw it is better to set it up through the relay rather than the Hi side). It will be normally closed and when power is sent to the hi side of the fan it will engage the relay, cutting off the low power circuit just in case that goes on at the same time.

If anyone can think of a better way to do this and keep it in a single gang solution, let me know! The relay in this example will be up near the fan in the attic.

Here is my Final Final (unless, of course, someone has a better idea :slight_smile:)
This incorporates a DPDT relay. Since Hi is NO and low is NC it is a bit safer as both speeds go through the relay. No way for them to be on at the same time. Put a 30A relay in ($18 on Amazon) to ensure even turning on the fan at high speed (5.1 A continuous, more on startup) wont burn out the zwave relay. Low speed just goes directly from the zwave relay through the other relay but low only pulls 1.1amp so even at startup should be well less than 10A which the Enerwave dual relay switch is rated for. Keeps the manual Hi/Off/Low Toggle switch on the wall which is important for the wife who hates SmartThings LOL. And only one gang is required which is nice as the zwave dual relay and 30A relay will be in a box in the attic.

Thanks to @styg88 and @Distinguished, I got my Enerwave RSM2-PLUS working again.

I have 3 of them and they all stopped working once I was migrated to the new Smartthings.

I first tried changing the types, but that did not work. I also tried removing and adding again, but each time it added using Eric’s device handlers.

Here’s how I added them using the new Smartthings App and IDE:

1. Delete all existing devices in the App. (Edit > Delete Device > Press button once on RSM2-Plus) FYI - You have to delete all the devices before you can remove the device handler in the next step.
  2. Remove all of the Enerwave device handlers in the IDE under My Device Handlers. Click on the handler then click Device Type Settings and select Delete. FYI - If you don’t do this, when you discover the devices in step 3, it will add them back using Eric’s device handlers.
  3. Add the device in the App ( + > Device > Scan nearby > Press button once on RSM2-Plus)
  4. In the IDE, find the Device (Default is Z-Wave Device Multi-Channel) and change the type to Z-Wave Dual Switch. This step adds the second device that you then can rename.

Hope this helps anyone else that is fighting with trying to get it to work. Once I got it to work on the first one, it only took about 5 minutes to do the other two.

I am installing some new [Enerwave ZWN-RSM2-Plus switches, using the new ST app. Per your instructions, @J-man95, I switch the device type to Z-Wave Dual Switch and it creates the second switch for me. That’s pretty cool. But when I toggle the physical switch it does not inform the hub that the state has changed, which confuses my automations.
Do others have this problem? What do I do? I see old messages like this Automating existing outdoor motion sensor with relay that have code to address this issue. But I assume that wouldn’t apply using the Z-Wave Dual Switch device type. Am I wrong? If so, where should I put that code? There’s no custom device anymore.

Note that I’m having the same issue with a Monoprice 11990, but not with my other two of those. They are doing fine updating the status when I toggle the physical switch.

Hello everyone. I just purchased the Enerwave RSM2 dual relay. I haven’t installed it yet but I wanted to clarify a few things. After reading through this tread it sounds like this custom device handler does not support the new Smartthings apps? Is that correct? It also sounds like instead you can use a standard/stock device handler?

I’m also curious if there was any advantage with this custom device handler or was there no device handler available at the time? Were you able to do things like toggle the light switch twice to trigger other actions like turn a light on in a different part of the house etc?

Got everything installed. Was pretty easy to do. I was able to answer my first question. erocm1231 code works just fine on the new smart things app. I used the Parent Device Handler as well as the Child Handler . The parent device controls both switches and the child devices will control each switch independently. One thing I noticed was the icon for both child devices is showing as an outlet instead of a switch.

1 Like

Does anybody know if someone is working on an edge driver for ZWN-RSM2-PLUS?

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

@erocm1231 any chance you are working on an EDGE driver?

Sorry, but I am not.

For anyone else looking for a solution. The Zooz drivers work with enerwave

2 Likes

Would that be the driver for the Zooz Multichannel Switch?

I used the zen52 dual relay driver without any issues.

Hi TJ
How do you force it to use the Zooz driver.
I have several ZWN-RSM2-PLUS relays.
I’ve installed the “Zooz Multichannel Switch” driver, but “Select different driver” doesn’t give the option to select that driver.

Armen,
I started here: [ST EDGE] Zooz Edge Driver Channel
Click on the official Edge Driver Channel and accept the agreement
Then I went to http://ide.smartthings.com/ selected my location, then hub, then devices. Click on the device then Edit at the bottom of the page and change type to “Zooz ZEN52 Double Relay”
Click update and you should now have 2 devices you can control!

2 Likes

TJ, I’m confused. AFAIK, The IDE is for the Groovy device handlers, not the Edge. The devices with Edge drivers show as “placeholder” there without a network ID. To change the type, first, you need to find the Network ID, and then, I think if you select the type from the IDE, you’ll change it to Groovy type, not the Edge driver. Correct me if I’m wrong.

In the IDE don’t change Placeholder to anything else with Edge Drivers, you could mess them up.

The IDE doesn’t work with Edge Driver and will be phased out by the end of the year.

@Paul_Oliver thank you. That’s exactly what I thought.
@TJC19 how did you do that then?