Assis SB8200 cannot connect to SmartThings hub

I am not much of a techie, but have general understanding of how things work. There is a gap in my knowledge. I am going to go through everything because I don’t know what is important.
I have comcast cable in the USA. The Gateway modem/router Ihave been using is being replaced with an Assis SB8200 and the SmartThings wifi hub with a router.
My Assis seems to connect correctly as all of the LEDs are lit up. The blue light is brighter than the green ones, but the green ones are all the same intensity as the power button, so I decided that doesn’t matter.
The smart hub powers up and gets to the point where it falshes red and green. The app asks for an IP address. Where can I find that?
Today I spent 3 hours on the phone with the cox/infinity “tech” and they told me that everything was working fine. They must have figured out that I am a middle-aged woman who is bound and determined to get this done. It should be a plug and play. Neither hub works.
Also, how do I figure out which wifi network is mine? They were vague on that an I know it is basic. I did expect my old wifi names to show up. That’s on me. When I tried to connect my phone No networks showed up except a secure centurylink one.

I’m sure that’s all very frustrating. :disappointed_relieved: we need to ask a couple of questions before we can figure out how to help.

1. Did you mean “Arris” SB8200 for your modem? The “surfboard” model? I’m not familiar with “Assis” as a networking brand. Asus is another technology brand, but they don’t have an SB8200 model.

If so, a couple of questions.

1. What’s the exact model of your smartthings hub? ( it should be on a label on the underside of the hub)

2. What country are you in? (Comcast is available in Canada and Mexico as well as the US.)

3. Were you previously using this smartthings hub or is this new for you?

I missed that typo. It is Arris.
Hub model #ET WV525
USA
New hub, new modem

OK, that’s all good.

The Arris is the “modem.” It brings the Internet into your house.

The smartthings hub is going to act as the “Wi-Fi router“ and convert that signal into Wi-Fi so you can connect your Wi-Fi devices.

So Xfinity is telling you that the modem is set up correctly and has been activated, and then it’s up to you to add the Wi-Fi router.

To do this, you will connect the smartthings hub to the Arris with an Ethernet cable and then follow the instructions in the smartthings app.

The following article is a good description of the process

And here’s the official help article. It mentions that if the attempt to add the hub automatically fails, it will then ask you for an IP address. So that’s probably all that’s going on. You may need to reset the hub and then try again.

There is a Samsung help line if you want to try calling them and let them walk you through the steps.

1-800-726-7864

(This forum was set up a number of years ago so that customers can help other customers. It’s not an official support channel. So people here will help as much as they can, but we can’t see your account or anything like regular staff can do. So sometimes they can help more.)

Also, alternating red and green just means the smartthings hub is searching, so it sounds like it hasn’t found your phone. That would also explain why the phone is asking you for the IP address.

You won’t have a Wi-Fi network until you get the smartthings hub set up to be your Wi-Fi router. At that point you’ll be able to name the network.

I hate to say it, because it makes the Xfinity assistant look dumb as a bag of rocks. This all is exactly what I went over with the tech who kept telling me that my modem was a router even after Icut and pasted the information directly from arrris. smh.
Your assistance has been thorough and helpful, and leaves me where I started with the Xfinity person after they added my modem. I should have stopped the chat at that point and I could have saved 2 hours. Enough of my complaining.
I will figure out how to get an IP address and keep trying.
Thank you so much for clarifying all of this. It really did help.

1 Like

You don’t need that step, I think.

Instead, it sounds like the surfboard is set up fine. If I were you, the next thing I would do is factory reset the smartthings hub (The instructions are in the official supportbase article above), make sure the cable between the surfboard and the smartthings hub is pushed in all the way on both ends, open the smartthings app on your phone when you are within about 12 feet of the hub, and then follow the instructions to set up the smartthings hub automatically. That should do it.

The hub needs to be able to create a Bluetooth connection to your phone to complete the set up, so make sure you have Bluetooth turned on and, again, that you’re close enough to the hub that the phone and the hub can find each other.