Any way to do 3-way switch without wiring?

Wondering if there is a way to have a 3 way switch where is no wiring, like creating a wireless second switch or something like that.

I have a room upstairs who’s switch board is an a obscure location, currently I do have a Z-Wave smart switch and I use the app or Google home to turn it on or off, but I could really use a physical switch at the bottom of the stairs, which I could torn on before I go upstairs. Any Ideas?

TIA

For my stairwell, I use smart bulbs (Hue) and Aeon Minimote button controllers.

There are many virtual three-way options discussed in the forums. :sunglasses:Essentially you just use a battery operated device for the auxiliary switch. Eaton Cooper makes a zwave one That looks exactly like their regular mains powered switches.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/wiring_devices/products/lighting_controls/aspire_rf_wireless/anyplace.html

Lutron pico switches will work as an auxiliary for Lutron Caseta masters and have a 10 year battery. (But if you want to use them with something other than the Lutron Caseta master, everything gets much more complicated.)

Ecolink makes a battery operated zwave switch in both a rocker and toggle style.

Or you can use any battery operated device that can talk to the smartthings hub. Then the battery operated device sends a message to the hub and hub sends a message to the master switch.

See the following FAQ (this is a clickable link). Some of the entries are battery powered, some are mains powered, some are for the US and some are for the UK, so read the descriptions carefully to make sure you’re looking at one that will meet your needs.

2 Likes

The minimote has been discontinued and is getting quite difficult to find except for somewhat questionable sources on eBay where the batteries are often dead.

The new model is the Aeon wallmote for Wall mounting, or the not yet released Nanomote if you want a handheld option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCEJAOD/

3 Likes

You might also find the following thread of interest. Although the author is talking about having a button on the wall to control smart bulbs, it turns out to mostly be the same device choice as a virtual three-way like you are looking for. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Actually the stairwell is fine, it has 3 way switch, its the room the stairwell leads into that is problematic.

Like what @JDRoberts said, I just now use the Lutron Caseta. I use the pico remote with the wall plate module as my 3 way switch. It even works as a four way if you use your phone.

2 Likes

Thanks @JDRoberts for your replies. Lutron Caseta is not very appealing, as I have to buy new hub and replace switch. Definitely has its pros but its going to a unnecessary expense. Eaton definitely seems to be the best solution but is a bit expensive, Ecolink is cheaper so leaning towards it. Also looking at the “Just a Button” thread, lot of interesting option… Thanks again

2 Likes

Stairwell just an example. The Aeon Minimote concept works anywhere in the home … Mine are velcroed to the wall.

Though now that I use ActionTiles most of the time, I probably have a few minimotes to spare if you’re buying :wink:.

I like the Wallmote quad, it’s pretty reliable. BUT the battery drains really fast. We have it in our guest bedroom, which gets used rarely, and I still change out the battery every 2-3 months.

1 Like