Android Users: Dropcam/Foscam

Anyone using the Android app having problems with Dropcam images? I know Foscam isn’t officially supported yet, but it works pretty darn well with ImBrians code. I am having some problems viewing cataloged images in the carousel tile in the Foscam device type.

I can see images I take manually just fine when the device is open. But once i exit that device and try to view images saved on the server i cannot see anything. If I try to scroll the carousel it freezes the app. I know the images are there, they just aren’t being displayed, as I can see the logs saving them to the server.

Edit: The reason i believe its an Android app issue is because it works perfectly fine on my work phone (iPhone).

I am wondering if anyone that uses android sees the same thing on with Dropcam. If it is just a Foscam issue right now i will let it go, but if it is an Android app issue where both Foscam or Dropcam have the same effect, I figure it would be good to let the support team know.

Thanks all!

Yeah the Dropcam images only work for me if I manually snap one.

@coryds

Thanks for the response. I thinkg its safe to assume at this point this is most likely a Android app issue. I know they are working on a new build of the app. I wonder if they are waiting to push this fix when they push out he next iteration of the app. I think I may reach out to support to see if i can get this escalated.

Anyone else seeing this? The more people we have with the issue the higher it will be on the priority list. Come on android users! haha

I’m having the exact same issue and I have told ST when I was on dropcam beta. I can manually take dropcam photos, but any auto photo bursts are unavailable on my android. But it all work fine on my iPad.

I was actually planning on making a post about this and some other issues I’m seeing since I’m using ST on two platforms. Tim - since you use ios and android do you find that icon changes in things view are not updated on your other device? In fact I can’t even change one icon on my android, it always reverts to something different than I just chose and different than my ipad. Also if I rearrange the things tiles it doesn’t change them on the other device, but I could see how that might be by design.

@greg

Glad to see Cory and I are not the only ones. I would love to see this fixed asap. That way when @imbrian gets local IP working for the foscams i can close off some ports :)… Outside of that i do notice that if I change the icon on my Andorid it will not stay once I open the app on my iPhone. But if I change it on my iPhone it will change on my Android device…Weird. It seems that the iPhone has some sort of priority. I do not see the issue with the arranging of the icons though. If I change the arrangment on either device it will sync to the other one.

I think this is a great thread. We can maybe flesh out some of the Android issues that other users are seeing and hopefully get the Android app up to snuff. It has made some GREAT strides and really works well for all intensive purposes and I thanks the Smartthings dev team for making it a usable app!!! But definitely has some polishing before it is great like the iOS app. The iOS app is incredible! Looks good. Cool transisitons… Works perfectly.

I have made support aware of this thread and raised the issue to them.

if only I had a third device I could take a side by side photo/video of my two devices in things view and show the differences. lol.

I don’t care about the arrangement issue since I can manually fix it. But I can’t fix the icon issue. I change it on ios its fine on ios but won’t change on android. I change it on android (to be the exact same thing as it already is on ios) and it just reverts immediately.

@greg

What Android version do you have? I have 1.5.8. It the icons works for me now but I did have the issue in a recent release.

1.5.8 also. And I re verified. I cannot permanently change the icon to a particular device even though the icon is already they way I want it on ios. it reverts immediately

@tslagle13
@coryds

Try this workaround for dropcam:

Go to Things and select your dropcam device. You can’t see any photos. Press the Activity button. Scroll down to the photo you want to display. Return to the previous screen and the photos listed in the activity screen now appear. If you try a second time you have to exit completely for it to work. It works for me at least…

If you double click the photo it brings it up into the browser.

@beckwith

Thanks for the input. That does not work for me.

Are you also seeing the issue within the android app? This work around worked for you? Support basically told me they didn’t think it was a “global issue” and were very dimissive about it. Not sure we will see a resolution anytime soon unless we can show its a broad Android issue.

@tslagle13

Yes, I have the issue on my Android. If you can’t see the burst photos, the interface is pretty much useless.

The other thing I don’t like is you MUST have a push notification. I would like to send SMS instead or none. This is especially so because roles are not yet implemented.

Cool, so thats 4 people that have the issue, I know it seems it may not be “global” but I support 17,000 servers for my day job, and i can already see this is a global Andorid issue.

@beckwith

I edited the photobusrt code really quick. Im not home to test. Here it is. This should not require a push notifiaction. Both should be optional in this code. Give it a try and see if i broke something or not :slight_smile: haha.

/**
 *  Photo Burst When...
 *  Author: SmartThings
 *  Date: 2013-09-30
 */

definition(
    name: "Photo Burst When...",
    namespace: "smartthings",
    author: "SmartThings",
    description: "Take a burst of photos and send a push notification when...",
    category: "SmartThings Labs",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Partner/photo-burst-when.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Partner/photo-burst-when@2x.png"
)

preferences {
	section("Choose one or more, when..."){
		input "motion", "capability.motionSensor", title: "Motion Here", required: false, multiple: true
		input "contact", "capability.contactSensor", title: "Contact Opens", required: false, multiple: true
		input "acceleration", "capability.accelerationSensor", title: "Acceleration Detected", required: false, multiple: true
		input "mySwitch", "capability.switch", title: "Switch Turned On", required: false, multiple: true
		input "arrivalPresence", "capability.presenceSensor", title: "Arrival Of", required: false, multiple: true
		input "departurePresence", "capability.presenceSensor", title: "Departure Of", required: false, multiple: true
	}
	section("Take a burst of pictures") {
		input "camera", "capability.imageCapture"
		input "burst", "number", title: "How many? (default 5)", defaultValue:5
	}
	section("Then send this message in a push notification or text message"){
		input "messageText", "text", title: "Message Text"
	}
    section( "Push notification?" ) {
		input "sendPushMessage", "enum", title: "Send a push notification?", metadata:[values:["Yes","No"]], required:false
    }
	section("And as text message to this number (optional)"){
		input "phone", "phone", title: "Phone Number", required: false
	}

}

def installed() {
	log.debug "Installed with settings: ${settings}"
	subscribeToEvents()
}

def updated() {
	log.debug "Updated with settings: ${settings}"
	unsubscribe()
	subscribeToEvents()
}

def subscribeToEvents() {
	subscribe(contact, "contact.open", sendMessage)
	subscribe(acceleration, "acceleration.active", sendMessage)
	subscribe(motion, "motion.active", sendMessage)
	subscribe(mySwitch, "switch.on", sendMessage)
	subscribe(arrivalPresence, "presence.present", sendMessage)
	subscribe(departurePresence, "presence.not present", sendMessage)
}

def sendMessage(evt) {
	log.debug "$evt.name: $evt.value, $messageText"
    if ( sendPushMessage != "No" ) {
       sendPush(messageText)
    }

camera.take()
	(1..((burstCount ?: 5) - 1)).each {
		camera.take(delay: (500 * it))
	}

if (phone) {
		sendSms(phone, messageText)
	}
}

Beckwith’s workaround works for me! Thanks!

any chance we can make it so photo burst will send the photos via email or store via dropbox. it seems to only keep so many photos available and I worry that if the motion trips multiple bursts I may lose the photo that would do the most good. This would be easy with IFTTT but those options aren’t available? Currently I think the only option would be to screen shot it before it’s lost?

I’m shocked noone else is wanting an email or store via dropbox option with this. It’d be so much easier. Is there no way to do this?